• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Day Z, a zombie survival mod for ARMA2

I've never notice that ArmA 2 was dead. I play MP campaigns with friends since 2010 and every week you get new missions, maps, weapons and other mods. There are also dozens of active communities playing online.

It's pretty hard to get into those squads(or whatever they want to be called), you need to make application, get reviewed, get trained and then be expected to "report for duty" at certain times, play missions which may take as much as 5-6 hours, missing that you will get booted eventually. It's a commitment much more than what people out there are willing to give/can give. Also they hardly get public exposure, so people don't even know they exist.

Public ArmA 2 is mostly a waste of time, and save for some popular Warfare and Domination servers, it's mostly barren. So I think before DayZ, we could pretty much say that it was dead for a lot of people.

Hopefully some mission/mod makers take notice of the ideas DayZ has and make some great missions that will capture some of the DayZ newcomers and make them stay. After countless idiotic Domination/Warfare clones, I think it's time ArmA's public potential is exploited by some creativity.(I'm actually wondering when will someone make a "Zombie Domination", we gotta have that.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's pretty hard to get into those squads(or whatever they want to be called), you need to make application, get reviewed, get trained and then be expected to "report for duty" at certain times, play missions which may take as much as 5-6 hours, missing that you will get booted eventually. It's a commitment much more than what people out there are willing to give/can give. Also they hardly get public exposure, so people don't even know they exist.

Public ArmA 2 is mostly a waste of time, and save for some popular Warfare and Domination servers, it's mostly barren. So I think before DayZ, we could pretty much say that it was dead for a lot of people.

Hopefully some mission/mod makers take notice of the ideas DayZ has and make some great missions that will capture some of the DayZ newcomers and make them stay. After countless idiotic Domination/Warfare clones, I think it's time ArmA's public potential is exploited by some creativity.(I'm actually wondering when will someone make a "Zombie Domination", we gotta have that.)

I know at least two communities that doesn't require it, but I was never looking. In DayZ friends found couple, joined one, play together and have massive fun.

Regarding ArmA 2: for me it's natural to play with community in team based game where fun, immersion and teamplay are most important. As a solo player or rambo type you can't do much, but die quick. It's not a run and gun game.

2,5 year ago friend recommended me one clan where "you need to fill application". I never was into such groups, I prefer freedom, but after 1-2 hours of downloading mods and great chat with other members I was ready to play - nothing scary and it was totally worth it. It's good to have such community because:
- you have solid and well configured game and TS server
- ACE, ACRE, ASR_AI and other "must have mods" are in
- you don't play with random people or jerks from public, but friends that care about teamplay
- you never get bored of playing the same (like on domination) because you play brilliant campaigns, custom missions and other mods (i.e. Invasion 44, etc).

Missions take about 2,5-3 hours and there is no problem to be late or leave early. All members have a job and more important "duties" like real life or family and no one gets angry. We play 4 fun, like it suppose to be played. You also always can take a break and leave for a few weeks if you have too. You won't get kicked.

Perhaps you are talking about "ultra" realistic military groups with weird leadership where commitment is more important than having fun or life and you have to salute to officers :D. "Sir, yes sir!" is not for me neither ;).

You need to remember that in ArmA 2 you have free choice to pick community that fits best your needs.

Upvote 0

There is also Project Reality for Arma2 which is way better than the vanilla Arma2 mp and PR is public only gameplay so no need to join some unit or whatnot. Though atm a lot of PR:A2 players are playing DayZ.
But anyway, if and when u are after a "normal" public PvP MP in Arma2, try PR.

This is Project Reality - Arma 2 - YouTube

Upvote 0
There is also Project Reality for Arma2 which is way better than the vanilla Arma2 mp and PR is public only gameplay so no need to join some unit or whatnot. Though atm a lot of PR:A2 players are playing DayZ.
But anyway, if and when u are after a "normal" public PvP MP in Arma2, try PR.

This is Project Reality - Arma 2 - YouTube

That looks really fun. Reminds me of city life.

Upvote 0
It's pretty hard to get into those......

My experience as well, as great as ARMA can be with the right combination of people, for the gamer who can only drop in from time to time, (me and others) MP is problematic, either because the good stuff is on private COOP servers, because of the ridiculous addon scenario, or endless AI grinding servers. Don't get me wrong, I think A2 is awesome, but the entry requirements are too high for most people. If DayZ continues to load as a single mod, like PR or IF, making it easy to jump on a server and have a decent experience, it'll boost the community for sure. I'm pretty excited for this very reason.

Upvote 0
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/16/an-interview-with-rocket-creator-of-day-z/

I'm so happy for this guy and so happy this is taking off. I would never have guessed it if someone had told me before that a little zombie mod has propelled ArmA2 to the #1 spot on Steam.. Like he says, I could see it blowing up in the ArmA community, but the fact it has gone mainstream is so promising to where PC gaming is headed and to the fact that game players really will adopt something unique and make it a success.

Now I have to go try it myself :D

Upvote 0
That looks really fun. Reminds me of city life.

PR:A2 is really fun even if you don't know anybody. Don't be afraid to go on direct comms and ask for a squad in the beginning of a game. There are many friendly, experienced players that are willing to help just ask and be willing to get shouted at and ordered around in the beginning.

One of the best moments I experienced was when our squad was securing the villa on Zargabad and we suddenly heard a vehicle coming up. I was in the building with three other guys, covering the entrances. The vehicle stopped, silence. A moment later someone shouted allahu akbar over direct comms and the whole building blew up, killing everyone inside. We were all like "wtf did just happen".

Upvote 0
[url]http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/16/an-interview-with-rocket-creator-of-day-z/[/URL]

I'm so happy for this guy and so happy this is taking off. I would never have guessed it if someone had told me before that a little zombie mod has propelled ArmA2 to the #1 spot on Steam.. Like he says, I could see it blowing up in the ArmA community, but the fact it has gone mainstream is so promising to where PC gaming is headed and to the fact that game players really will adopt something unique and make it a success.

Now I have to go try it myself :D

My only hope is ArmA 3 can get an editor with a proper GUI and less hidden scripts with the extra revenue.

Upvote 0
Beans beans are good for your heart, the more you eat them, the more you fart.

lolaway2.gif

Upvote 0
I think the Winchester is way better anyway. Much quieter, slugs are accurate up to 150m, pellets are great vs hordes of zombies, ammunition is everywhere...
pretty much the weapon of choice when you decide to survive on your own. Of course, when you're playing with friends that's different. You can have one sniper (CZ550, M24, DMR or even a M107), one guy with an assault rifle, one with a shotgun etc.

Upvote 0
You do have Arma 2: CO right? I think I've seen you around on the official forums. If you already have Arma 2: CO there is really no reason not to try DayZ. Just make sure you have enough time on your hands. In DayZ I tend to forget time more than in any other game(mode).
A few days ago I started playing around 4pm and stopped around 1am...
I really think it's something special. It essentially plays like Arma but the social aspect makes it a completely different experience. Every we meet other players it gets my heart pumping.

Last edited:
Upvote 0