• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Day Z, a zombie survival mod for ARMA2

Its awesome once you get used to the bugs and such :), when you go into the browser filter just type dayz and you should get all the dayz servers.

That is what I did. Anything else I could try?

For what it is worth, last time I played regular ArmA 2 online it worked fine. Or, at least I saw plenty of servers.

I must either have an old version of ArmA 2 or Day Z. I downloaded the hotfix on the previous page. Which version of ArmA 2 should I be running?

Upvote 0
This is the latest beta...
Maybe it was just luck but I managed to join 2 different servers last night, both were nearly full 46/50. The connection was really quick.

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.phphttp://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Downloading that now. I'm going to redownload Day Z as well.

Edit: Got into a server. Ran around for a few minutes, found zombies in a town and shot one. Then I was kicked. But at least it worked.

Though I still only see a few servers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Downloading that now. I'm going to redownload Day Z as well.

Edit: Got into a server. Ran around for a few minutes, found zombies in a town and shot one. Then I was kicked. But at least it worked.

Though I still only see a few servers.

You do have the 1.6 official release I hope Flogger.
The beta installs alongside and can be run independently but I do recommend using the beta.

Open up the vanilla ArmA2/CO server browser without dayZ or the beta just to see how many servers you see.
Good luck.

Upvote 0
Is that for non steam users, or something that'll be automatically downloaded?

You may start the game without Steam.

One way to do it is with AlpineStars ArmA2 launcher or a simply modified ArmA2/CO game application "Icon".
Install the beta (check the installation path, it should do it all by itself).
Something like
C:\Program FilesX86/Steam/Steamapps/common/arma2co/expansions/beta
I do not have a Steam build so that is "off the top of my head"

There is nothing stopping you from running a beta build with a Steam ArmA2, although official builds need to be patched through Steam...

Good luck with that.

Upvote 0
DayZ 1.6.0 out ... enjoy ... and be nice to new female characters! :)

http://www.dayzmod.com/

xp51g1.png

9pq7vp.png

Upvote 0
Just a post I made elsewhere, maybe some of you guys will find it interesting.

I've started this mod as a peaceful player. I flocked the everyone I saw, and they accepted me. Until a guy on a Russian server put a bullet in my head because he liked my 1911. That made me realize what exactly this game is, it was definitely not L4D as I thought. It was the other players I should be afraid of.

After that, I avoided players and cities. I went north, scourged the barracks, got military gear and kept getting more. I found some TacticalGamer guys and even hung out with them. Until one day a bandit shot me, all my hours went waste. Then I started to change.

I just had my first intentional kill last week. It felt awful, I wrote a huge block of text about it. I know this is just a game, but it felt really bad. I sweated, tried to convince myself to do otherwise but I did it anyway. I killed another one(bandit) shortly after him and got killed after that. Frankly I deserved that.

Then I started to hang out with my friends. It's much different with friends, suddenly everyone else became a threat/opportunity for us.We have a shoot on sight policy for people wandering too close to us. Save for those poor guys with makarovs, but we rarely see them(we always play up north, near the NW airfield). Since then I probably killed 5-6 players in total. Some of them were panic situations though.

We're extremely well armed, with guys in dedicated roles like a Marksman with DMR(me), another marksman with M14 ER1, Assault rifle guy with M4 Holo M203 and another "stealth" guy with M4 SD. We still need stuff like NVG's for some members, barracks are too dangerous so we try to get them from other players.

Today, we found a nice position overlooking Stary Sabor camp and set up our sniper nest. After a good 20 minutes, one of our spotters spotted a guy in ghillie suit, sneaking around the camp. Unluckily he attracted a zombie so he was pretty distracted. When he stopped to shoot the zombie, I took my shot and killed him from 300 meters. He had awesome gear, a complete SD set (M4 SD + M9 SD) GPS, NVG, big Coyote backpack, 7 mags of SD STANAG and another 7 for M9. I probably wasted his whole last week. It was totally worth it for us though.

The thing is, as you get off the coast and get good gear and become one of the "northerners", there isn't much else to do than look for the best gear possible and come up with creative ways to kill other players. So you eventually have to do it, like it or not. You pass the "training mission" of zombie survival and then it becomes a dream ArmA 2 PvP mission.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm curious.. does the game spot people for you automatically, or is it possible to effectively, I mean really, hide from other players? Hide like they can walk right past you if you're still enough hide.. or is there some automatic computer aided spotting function that puts an icon over your head if you come into a certain radius of another player or some sh!te like that?

Also, it seems as though the general to do list is basically kill anyone and everyone before they kill you, then steal their stuff sort of thing. Is there any cerebral way to go about surviving or has it turned into 'if it moves, kill it' type of game?

Upvote 0
I'm curious.. does the game spot people for you automatically, or is it possible to effectively, I mean really, hide from other players? Hide like they can walk right past you if you're still enough hide.. or is there some automatic computer aided spotting function that puts an icon over your head if you come into a certain radius of another player or some sh!te like that?

Also, it seems as though the general to do list is basically kill anyone and everyone before they kill you, then steal their stuff sort of thing. Is there any cerebral way to go about surviving or has it turned into 'if it moves, kill it' type of game?

You don't get "ENEMY MAN 8 O'CLOCK 200 METERS" type standart ArmA 2 spotting at all, but there are several difficulty levels being used by servers.

In Recruit difficulty setting crosshairs are on, third person view is on, you can see your position on map even when you don't have GPS and the worst of all when you hover your crosshair on objects the game tells them what they are. Like House, Car, Civilian(zombies), Man(unknown), Survivor, if you observe a survivor long enough it even tells you their name. So you can easily find other players just by abusing this feature, it's basically an in-game wallhack.

Regular is the same minus seeing yourself on map without GPS.

In veteran and expert, everything is turned off. No crosshair, no third person view, no nametags(that magical mouse hover thingy). You can't see the names of the other players even though they stand next to you. It's basically like RL, you have to keep track of whereabouts of your mates, listen to footsteps and gunshots. You can walk past another player without even noticing him if he's concealed enough.

The Regular/Veteran ratio is 50/50 so there are plenty of servers for beginners and hardcore players. We always play on Veteran servers as it makes the game much harder and exciting.

Upvote 0
Rak said:
In veteran and expert, everything is turned off. No crosshair, no third person view, no nametags(that magical mouse hover thingy). You can't see the names of the other players even though they stand next to you. It's basically like RL, you have to keep track of whereabouts of your mates, listen to footsteps and gunshots. You can walk past another player without even noticing him if he's concealed enough.

That's the one I would want to play. I'd hate it if I couldnt hide behind a tree or in a bush, behind a rock/building etc.

How do you feel about the amount of firearms in game? Personally I feel as though if firearms were much more rare, especially high powered guns like sniper rifles and AK's/assault rifles etc, the game would play better. This coming from someone who hasnt played the game but feels the same way and has expressed as much about Project Zomboid. I've watched just about every youtube vid out there for Day Z and it seems like everyone has a winchester rifle at the very least.. everyone. Seems kinda, I dunno, over done. Doesnt allow for much interaction with others when you can't even get close enough to a person to talk with them, and it also feels like it leads to a devolving of the creativity one needs to survive when you're so heavily armed. Murder and loot becomes the name of the game. Maybe it's just me.

Upvote 0