• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wargame: European Escalation

Kipper

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2006
Connecticut, United States
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned this game yet. It's by the guys responsible for RUSE. The game is set in the 1970s-1980s in Europe. The Cold War has gone hot. It's a wargame that models ammunition, fuel, and modular damage of vehicles. It includes hardware from France, West and East Germany, Czechoslovakia, Poland, USSR, USA, and UK. There's like 300+ units, realistic engagement ranges, and huge maps.

http://www.wargame-ee.com/

Unit database:
http://www.wargame-ee.com/index.php?rub=database-home

38.jpg

I liked the premise of RUSE but in the end I don't think that game reached it full potential.
Usually I liked the early stages of the battle the best, where you had little money to spend and early recon could really save your ***, because when you didn't know what the enemy was focussing on you could waste a lot of money on the wrong things and it usually ends in disaster.
But if no quick succes was met usually you ended up with big incomes that allowed you to simply spam units and you had to simply grind down the enemy.
The ruse's were a cool concept but the maps etc. were usually too bottlenecked to allow their true potential to shine. It was too easy to guess what the enemy was doing still, and the fact that most of the enemy ruse's were announced to you didnt help either.
I had some fun games with RUSE but not enough to hook me, so I'm undecided on Wargame. I like the idea of it but I question it's implementation, though it seems things are a bit more indepth this time around.

Upvote 0
Is it a wargame of the same caliber as Close Combat, Combat Mission etc. or more like ToW which imo is kinda "watered down" and more of a tactical RTS like Ground Control?

Kinda like an accordingly simplified Close Combat (due to the greater scale), but not a conventional RTS/RTT or a hard rivet sim Close Combat. The devs said that their main inspirations were the Close Combat and Steel Panthers series.

Upvote 0
I don't think there are any superweapons. The way this game plays out, it seems like it's more a 3D, simplified Close Combat rather than a typical RTS. It's looking like World in Conflict blended with Close Combat. Based on what the beta testers are saying, the maps are several hundred square kilometers large and it takes infantry over an hour to cross a map. I think this one will focus much more on planning and movement rather than clicking quickly.

Upvote 0
Tell us what you can within the constraints of the NDA, How did it play? Was the movement as fast as we see in some of the trailers. How did buying units work/ could you get reinforcements? How does the ammunition mechanic work?

I am interested in the game just completely starved of anything besides basic information. Thanks.

Upvote 0
The trailers are pretty misleading. Movement speeds depend on the vehicles but you're not going to see tanks blazing across the map in 30 seconds.

Units purchase works like this:
- Before the battle starts, you can spend any amount of points to purchase units from your army list (called a "deck" in game). You don't need to spend all of your points; you can for example choose to preserve some to purchase some units for contingencies.
- Once the battle starts, you can always call in reinforcements with your remaining points.

Ammo is represented in the screen below. (Don't worry, it's a Eugen publicly posted screen)

squadleaders0.png

Upvote 0
Loved WiC also. This however, i played RUSE and did not like it one bit, and knowing its on the same engine makes me wary. I appreciate the dynamic damage and ammo/fuel but from the videos i saw of this and the info available it just does not look like it would add depth, just annoyance. What i mean is it looks like this one is going to incorporate some realistic aspects i.e. fuel/ammo without others like individual unit management, unit variations like different loadouts, or dynamic engagement. By dynamic engagement i mean things like flanking, weak points etc. Instead it seems to use the rock paper scissors approach where axe beats sword, sword beats spear, spear beats axe. Or in this case, tank beats infantry, arty beats tank, heli beats arty, inf beats heli kind of thing.

I do not know for sure of course, this is just conjecture but ill most likely pass on this one.

Upvote 0
By dynamic engagement i mean things like flanking, weak points etc. Instead it seems to use the rock paper scissors approach where axe beats sword, sword beats spear, spear beats axe. Or in this case, tank beats infantry, arty beats tank, heli beats arty, inf beats heli kind of thing.

I do not know for sure of course, this is just conjecture but ill most likely pass on this one.

If the game is really going to do fields of fire and vision in the level it promises I don't think that they'll overlook such a thing as flanking maneuveurs e.g. For example they already have info of armor thickness in database, which would imply that game takes into account where the tank is shot at and maybe even the distance.

As for the rock, paper scissor thing, I think that is the how it's in the real life. Example from my time in Finnish Defence Forces. During our last field exercise we assaulted mechanized enemy. When their forward scouts saw us from their hill and oppened fire we laid down supressive fire with out grenade machineguns and 12,7 mm MG's mounted on our APC's while flanking behind smoke.

After we captured the hill we took positions and obeserved the battlefield. What we saw and was soon verified in our radio was that our company's third platoon was under attack in our right flank by great enemy infantry host. As we were the unit with best vision it was left to our artillery observer to call in the fire from our 120 mm mortars.

Most of the battle we just hold the hill guiding artillery and relaying battlefield information to companys commander. In the end enemy counter attacked with BMP-2 vehicles so we called our antitank fighters to take care of those.

During the battle our first platoon being our spearhead encounttered mine field so they brought up engineers with bangalores to be done with it.

Seems pretty much rock, paper scissors to me.

Upvote 0