• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wargame: European Escalation

In Finland we have compulsory military service so by all means I wasn't a professional soldier but conscript. 362 days was my time.

About the simplistic battle can't say much, but if ammo and fuel supply get included I be that it will bring into game a whole new perspect for many players. It's said that amateurs study tactics and pros study logistics. And cold sweat is bound to rise when you don't have the specific unit at hand or your foces are under artillery attack or is cut off from the supply and your vechiles are bogged down in small forest road while enemy infantry slowly creeps closer with LAW's...

Upvote 0
Here are my thoughts on Wargame: European Escalation

I have to admit Eugen may have just pulled off the ultimate war game. Now there was not a tutorial of any kind when i went into my first multi player session. So I had to learn allot by trial and error. However this is still in beta and I have to give them that.

I have played RUSE and I have to say this game Dwarfs ruse on every scale - I am not just talking about the maps though. Weapon Systems on helicopters and many other vehicles can be disabled affecting their overall combat effectiveness. Each Vehicle has fuel, morale, and a certain amount of ammo it can carry. These can be fixed and replenished. If a unit is at zero morale it will route. Units can Panic, become stunned, and many other things i have not discovered yet.

Once you get better units and a higher rank you will be a force to be reckoned with. You do not have access to all the units at all times you build your army with a selection of units.

There is no base building what so ever in this game. F.O.B's are the nerve center of your army. If captured you will not be able to call in more reinforcements. There is 1 FOB built for you at the start of each round.

The scale of the maps is massive. Your units will not be able to go from one end to the other in one go.

This has been my (Random) thoughts on war game European Escalation

Upvote 0
I did an AAR on a short match on another fourm but some of you may be interested:

Gonna show you pics of my last game have to say sorry for a few thing but jpeg make this game look slightly worse and Line Of Sight was screwed around in this replay to show stuff, so no you cant see the whole opposing army:

17090-2012021400002u.jpg

All infantry is mechanized or airborne, if they were not there would be would be able to get around the map because of the size, here a Rifle Squad is being carried to the front in a BPM-1P which has a powerful ATGM launcher which can hurt armour and if you notice the units are on the road as when given a fast move order they will use roadw which are fast and saves fuel...

17091-2012021400003.jpg

Once near the front lines my Special Forces get out of their BTRS, these are the East German Grenzer units as each special forces has its own unique strength (for example Spetnaz has decent RPGS and the Polish use flamethrowers) and these guys are excellent vision making them my recon troops.

17092-2012021400004.jpg

This is the map I am fighting on, I split up using my infantry to take the flanks but little did I know that other guy was doing the same...

17093-2012021400005.jpg

Contact is made! I spy these M113 moving to the forest and I direct my APC to them and let my BMPs deal with them!

17094-2012021400008.jpg

My BMP start firing on the the APCs and then another batch of APC shows up, Saracen but my my BMPS deal with them scoring the first kill.

17095-2012021400009.jpg

Then from the bottom of the hill he uses Flakpanzers too shoot my BMPs! This is bad, their shells could pierce the hull and they do Morale damge to the rookie crews, if you notice my BMP's are "stunned" mean the crew cant shoot back!

17096-2012021400010.jpg

However I wont move them due the the targets they are firing at, which turn out to be...

17098-2012021400011.jpg

NATO Howitzers! At this range they will turn my line into muush, so my BMPs must take them out!

17099-2012021400012t.jpg

Firing onto my line they 'cause chaos so my units are trapped as the M113 from what I saw before start to fire onto my line from behind but I have a plan for that!

17100-2012021400013.jpg

My heavy AT infantry armed with Konkurs start firing at them at thier tree line, now this may seem to be pretty confusing, well it was as the left flank looked like:

17101-2012021400014.jpg

Stuck into that tree line and surrounded my men notice dust clouds moving towards them...

17102-2012021400015.jpg

TANKS! My AT troops notice them and then start to shift position:

17103-2012021400016.jpg

Success, my rockets rip them apart as they get closer but then I see something is happening on the right!

17104-2012021400017.jpg

My SF unit was taken out but by what?

17105-2012021400018.jpg

More tanks! But I am not scared as they are moving up without support:

17106-2012021400019.jpg

Using my AT and BMPs I was able to wreck the tanks without taking any looses.

17107-2012021400020.jpg

Then on the left he foolishly moves up his tanks on the left allowing my Riflemen to use their RPGs on them...

17108-2012021400021.jpg

Ignoring the mistranslation this tank as taken too much morale damage and start to retreat, although I do kill it it shows that there is more than one way of skinning a cat...

Armour moves up to help on the left but due unknown fire they have to back up:
17109-2012021400022.jpg

17110-2012021400023.jpg

17111-2012021400024.jpg

Back to the right my BMPs make thier way to village, taking in contact that the BMPs can deal with...

17112-2012021400025.jpg

Then it become clear what forces he has on the right, my forces get ready to assault the woodland!

17113-2012021400026.jpg

My infantry then assault the woodland!

17114-2012021400027.jpg

Then victory when the NATO player quits leaving me as the winner! As a side note, in order to win WARGAME you must kill a certain amount of units getting up to 1500, now I've made a post on the forum to to improve this but I still like the game...

A short match fighting someone who was even ELO I was able to win because of the fact he did not support his units very well...

Upvote 0
I don't understand all the hype around this RTS. How is this different from all those WiC clones?

Yes, the maps seems bigger and when you zoom out you seem to get some Supreme Commander'esque overview. Though, the combat seems very dull and unsatisfying just like WiC. Units At least WiC had all those epic Artillery/Bombing runs that you could call in that spiced up the gameplay to bearable.

I'm still waiting for that WiC/Combat Mission/Achtung Panzer mix that will deliver epic battles with some decent unit realism.

Reactions: Oldih and Shadrach
Upvote 0
I don't understand all the hype around this RTS. How is this different from all those WiC clones?

Yes, the maps seems bigger and when you zoom out you seem to get some Supreme Commander'esque overview. Though, the combat seems very dull and unsatisfying just like WiC. Units At least WiC had all those epic Artillery/Bombing runs that you could call in that spiced up the gameplay to bearable.

I'm still waiting for that WiC/Combat Mission/Achtung Panzer mix that will deliver epic battles with some decent unit realism.

Well to me this game looks more like a wargame, that they use in military academies to train officers, rather than a simple game. Maybe that is part of the appeal.

Upvote 0