• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Max Payne 3

So, beat the campaign on Hard. Again, I didn't time it, but I'd say it took around 16 hours. This included looking for hidden items, out of which I found most.

I would estimate that if you rush through on the easiest difficulty, don't die at all and don't look for hidden items, the campaign would be beatable in under 10 hours.

In any case, really liked it. So far the best SP experience I've had in 2012.

Not really a spoiler, but rather an opinion about the ending:

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm enjoying this so far, loved the old Max Payne games (you can get Max Payne 1 on iphone/pod/pad now).

My only gripe so far is the ridiculous amount of mid level cut scenes, almost every almost closed door you come to in this game means you're going to have control taken away from you for at least a minute, usually longer and at the end of it you'll have your pistol equipped no matter what weapon you were using previously.

That said I'm still glad I bought it as when you are in control it's a very fun game. Multiplayer is a good time killer as well although I can't see it having much longevity.

Upvote 0
I haven't bought it yet, though it's not because I don't want to ... lacking cash is the main reason. But if it goes on sale eventually I won't even blink and will pick it up.

I really really liked Max Payne 2 (even if some of the level design near the end of the game sucked pretty bad), and this game looks like a worthy successor.

Upvote 0
My only gripe so far is the ridiculous amount of mid level cut scenes, almost every almost closed door you come to in this game means you're going to have control taken away from you for at least a minute, usually longer and at the end of it you'll have your pistol equipped no matter what weapon you were using previously.

I found this odd when looking at gameplay videos. Looks like there are plenty of cutscenes which probably takes up the bulk of the space.

Upvote 0
The art style is quite different. It's more like a movie now than a comic, even tough it still is heavy on inner monologue.
And it ties only very loosely into parts 1 and 2, but at least it doesn't contradict the lore of the two, so you can still almost fully appreciate it with no knowledge of the story, but if you do know it, you're not raging all the time.

And a interesting sidenote: Max is modeled after his voice actor who voiced him in all three parts for the first time. So while his looks don't fit with the continuity (well, WHAT continuity, you might ask... :p), I feel like it's the way Max actually supposed to look like.

Upvote 0
And a interesting sidenote: Max is modeled after his voice actor who voiced him in all three parts for the first time. So while his looks don't fit with the continuity (well, WHAT continuity, you might ask... :p), I feel like it's the way Max actually supposed to look like.

If I was to imagine Max from the first two games with his face relaxed, and 15-20 years older, I would imagine the look in Max Payne 3. The continuity stacks up imo.

Upvote 0
So I finally bought Max Payne 3 and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the SP experience. Here's a video I made of an office mission in the game (about halfway through the story). Warning, there are spoilers contained within!

Max Payne 3: Office Level Gameplay - YouTube

I just wanted to get some quick footage out and wasn't trying particularly hard, hence the lack of finesse. I'm currently uploading some new footage that is much better executed, so stay tuned.

Upvote 0
Aaaaand here's some more footage I compiled. This time with 200% more epicness. AND 200% the compile/upload time ... that's HD quality movies for ya.

Max Payne 3: Graveyard Mission Gameplay- YouTube

It's been a long time since I've purchased a game that delivered a cinematic, linear SP campaign. The level of polish in MP3 is outrageous, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the experience -- despite some gameplay and map design complaints here and there. Overall, I think it might just be better than Max Payne 2 (the only other one I've played).

Last edited:
Upvote 0