• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Tribes Ascend

Any suggestions on which class I might want to unlock next, if I ever get the chance? I like heavy-hitters like the Jug. Although the few times I played pathfinder was fun as well, but I'm a true slow-poke.

Jeez, look at me, it's a virtual treadmill.

I would say for CTF the 'main' classes in order of importance are the pathfinder, doombringer, tech and then jugg.

Raider dominates indoors and can harass the flagstand more safely then the jugg. Choosing a raider over the jugg really just depends on the map IMO.

I would say play as every role and it will help you understand how you can best help your team. For example only when playing as the heavy on flag did I understand just how frustrating juggs can be. Now that I now I will play midfield soldier more to protect my teams fats before they get too frustrated and switch classes.

Upvote 0
I would say for CTF the 'main' classes in order of importance are the pathfinder, doombringer, tech and then jugg.
I don't know. I feel it's really difficult to order classes by importance.

A PTH can't do anything if the enemy flag stand isn't cleared. For that you need either JUGs or RDRs. If the enemy stand is cleared and the PTH can get the grab, then it's all for nothing if your own flag gets taken as well. For that you need good flag defense.

Sure, a DMB is an obvious choice, but a DMB alone is often completely useless, if the enemy team does even a little bit of harassing. So this means you need RDRs or other strong dueling classes to take out enemy JUGs in the midfield, you need more mobile defense players like SLDs and even PTHs, who can protect the DMB and return the flag if it gets knocked off the stand.

If despite all your efforts your flag still gets taken, then you need PTHs to chase down the enemy capper.

On top of all this are the Shrikes, which can be used in various very useful roles.
Raider dominates indoors and can harass the flagstand more safely then the jugg. Choosing a raider over the jugg really just depends on the map IMO.
I'd say RDR dominates much more outdoors than it does indoors. When fighting outdoors the only class I'm really afraid of is another RDR (or maybe a JUG who is more skilled than me and is using the X1 and Spinfusor Disks). Indoors tho, anyone with an explosive weapon is scary, since there's less room to avoid their shots.

Also, I feel the JUG can harass the enemy flag stand more safely, since they can shoot from farther away.
I would say play as every role and it will help you understand how you can best help your team. For example only when playing as the heavy on flag did I understand just how frustrating juggs can be. Now that I now I will play midfield soldier more to protect my teams fats before they get too frustrated and switch classes.
Completely agreed. It's very important to try out other classes or at least read about how they are played, what their strengths and weaknesses are, what people who play them are most bothered about, etc. Gives you a much better overall understanding of the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Recently, I've been playing quite a lot of Soldier. Obviously, we're talking low-skilled pubs here (I think), but I found it much easier to cap with Soldier than with Pathfinder, which is simply too fragile.

The soldier may not be as fast, but I have yet to come across a Sentinel who'd make me wish I was faster, rather than just tougher (going even as far as capping after tripping a mine, or whatever).

On a different note, I hate Jugs with the X1 and discs combo. Currently, I have nothing that could reliably take those out, unless I'm being helped by one-two other fellows. At present, it's the only thing about this game that's driving me nuts.

Finally, a shout out goes to Lightsaber and The Algerian, whom I think I've met on the servers once or twice?

Upvote 0
On a different note, I hate Jugs with the X1 and discs combo. Currently, I have nothing that could reliably take those out, unless I'm being helped by one-two other fellows. At present, it's the only thing about this game that's driving me nuts.
It's imo the second best outdoor dueling setup, so it's definitely quite hard to counter. For me a Raider with a Shield Pack works the best. Just have good aim with your SMG and use your energy pool wisely (turn shield off when he can't hit you, only jet if absolutely necessary, etc). Since the JUG is slower and a bigger target than the RDR, you should be able to hit him more consistently than he can hit you.

Now you just gotta learn to predict and dodge the discs. This is really where the JUG players skill comes into play. A pro JUG will knock you in the air with a disc, then chain you, knock you up again with another disc, rinse repeat. He might even midair you with a disc if you're moving slow enough.

Positioning matters. Try to get a high ground advantage. See if there's anything you can use as cover to do quick energy regens for your shield (rocks, trees, a hill top - anything to break the line of sight for a few seconds).

All in all tho, if the JUG is a better player than you, then it's wise to try to group up on him. But one thing to remember, even if you don't kill him, the time he spends fighting you is time he's not spending firing mortars at your flag stand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Double XP weekend... So many things to grind for, so little time... oh, lamentations, lamentations!

Had I but not unlocked raider... that wasted XP could have gone towards something meaningful. But alas! I am stuck with that immobile twat. If only I had the plasma gun... oh, I weep!
The Raider is not at all immobile. All you gotta do is learn to use Arx or GL rounds to boost. You just shoot one in front you, ski over it, and get a nice boost when it explodes behind you. It's much more difficult to do than Spinfusor or Nitron jumping, but still rather effective.

Of course it's not as fast as the light classes, but you shouldn't have expected it to be.

Upvote 0
Yeah, yeah, I was jus' sayin', too. I jus' dun' like the Arx Buster. And I miss soldier's energy potential or Jugg's HP energy potential.
Why don't you like the Arx Buster? What are you trying to use it for? If you're trying to use it to fight people, then you're doing it wrong.

While the game indicates otherwise, the NJ4 should actually be considered the RDR's primary weapon, and the Arx and the GL as secondary weapons, used for flag disruption and base asset destroying.

If you know how to chain well and use the Shield Pack, then you are the strongest outdoor dueling class.

PS! It's really worth unlocking the GL, because it's in most cases much better for flag stand clearing, which is one of the primary functions of a RDR.

PPS! Stay out of the Gen room, the Gens don't matter.

Upvote 0
Yes, Lightsaber, I don't like the Arx precisely for that reason: it can't be used for duelling. I guess Jug's Mortar just spoiled me. Indeed, wisely using the shield pack and the smg (at which I am decent, as long as there aren't many close-range pass-by's) I have had a somewhat more successful time with the Rider. That said, the Soldier still tops it for me. Either way, thanks for all the helpful input, Saber.

As for the pricings — yes, they are insanely skewed. That's why I'll be opting for the deals alone.
On a related note, I had actually wanted to pay them, and pay them well (what'd be a full-price game here, and I practically never buy things full price) and my chosen payment method was PayPal. This stemmed from the fact that I do not have a credit card and my bank uses the cheapo old-style debit cards that are not viable for use while online shopping.
And HiRez apparently demands a credit card validation number. Great. If I had one, I wouldn't be using the PayPal route in the first place, would I?
I need to look into it, it may be caused by me not having transferred enough to the PP account when you, well, account for the currency exchange. In any case, it was a trifle upsetting.

Really, I've said it before, I think, but it's a fun little game, as long as I don't come across players who've invested heavily into the game (both in terms of time and money). The X1 and the N5 (the heavier-hitting one) Raider SMG are just my two prime pet hates.

Upvote 0
Yes, Lightsaber, I don't like the Arx precisely for that reason: it can't be used for duelling. I guess Jug's Mortar just spoiled me.
The mortar isn't good for dueling either, at least not outdoors (and there's rarely a reason to be indoors with a JUG). I only die to Mortar hits when it's a long range shot that explodes on impact. When it's rolling on the ground, it's really easy to avoid in most cases.

The JUGs duel with the X1 and RDRs with either one of their SMG's. Mortars, MIRVs, the Arx and GL are all primarily used for flag stand harassing and asset destruction.

Upvote 0
When one does not have what one wants, one makes do with what one has. I'll often throw in a mortar shell into the duelling dance mix (after it reloads with the 5 second holster rule) when the enemy's mid-air and I have little hope of hitting them with the fusor, and then follow up with the fusor when they come down.

Upvote 0
When one does not have what one wants, one makes do with what one has. I'll often throw in a mortar shell into the duelling dance mix (after it reloads with the 5 second holster rule) when the enemy's mid-air and I have little hope of hitting them with the fusor, and then follow up with the fusor when they come down.
If you play JUG often, then it's really worth getting the X1. It just makes JUGs so much more dangerous. Your goal should be to shell the enemy flag stand from afar and the X1 allows you to defend yourself better against those who come out to kill you. The more time you spend shelling the enemy stand, the more useful you are to your team, so being able to duel well is essential.

Without the X1 pretty much any class can take out a JUG in the open, but with the X1 + Spinfusor Disc combo the JUG is the 2nd best outdoor dueler after the RDR.

Upvote 0
nice thing is that I don't feel outgunned with the basic loadouts. Sure there may be a few better things to unlock but i'm more than competitive on public with the starter weapons.
For a ftp game thats great (from my pov - less so from the dev's) - and i really like it - i loved tribes for its large maps, speed of movement and projectile weapons - and this is a fine addition imo worthy of the series and a genuinly good game that plays differentely to other shooters (as it's predecessors did)

It's good to be playing a sci-fi shooter again.

Upvote 0
I had ignored this as its not normally the sort of game i'd like to play but as it went live on Steam I gave it a try and I was genuinely impressed. Its a very solid and well made game that takes some real skill to master.

I just need to get practicing the skiing and jet pack combo to get my momentum going so I don't end up standing still in the middle of the map and end up eating grenades all the time.

The damage system feels spot on as well and true first person view is always a winner for me.

Upvote 0