• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] ArmA 3, for real

I play ArmA 2 for long time and never seen such AI behavior. Difference is that my unit use ASR AI that fixes all vanilla AI issues. Also don't play ArmA 2 singleplayer campaign - its cr**. ASR AI works with ACE, so all what you need is here.

Features:
  • - Gives every AI unit randomized skill levels for aiming accuracy, aiming shake, aiming speed, spotting distance,
    spotting speed, courage, but within certain ranges, based on unit's type.
    The goal was to make the AI better, more diverse and distinct. Some units will be better skilled than others.
    For example, a team leader will usually be better than a regular grunt, a SF unit will have the highest skills, while
    an armed villager will present the lowest threat.
    Users can configure the other skills and set their own levels by editing a userconfig file.
    All Arma2, OA, BAF, PMC and ACE units are fully supported by this addon but most 3rd party mods should be too, with
    exceptions, like when a regular or insurgent type unit is created based on a SF unit etc.
    Third party verified mods: ACE, CWR2, Duala and Lingor units (partially), McNools's Tier1 ops.

- AI radio net (only for servers and single-player).
    When a group learns enough about an enemy, it will broadcast information about that enemy over radio to all friendly
    groups within a configured range. The info is sent with a delay, so to prevent breaking breaking stealth, quick takedowns
    are required. Sending and receiving groups must have radios. No waypoints are set, no orders given, just information sent,
    default game AI decides what to do with it.

- When crewmen or pilots have to bail out of their vehicle because it was damaged, they won't be as willing to charge
    the enemy as before. They might flee or run for cover instead, until they get into another vehicle when they gain some
    courage back.

- AI spotting distance automatically reduced at night (and restored at day). Default is half distance at night, can be changed
    in userconfig.

- AI hears gunshots. Default distance is half the range defined for shooter's weapon sound range.
    Coefficient can be set in userconfig.

- Dynamic view distance adjustment on dedicated servers. Based on the initial VD setting, servers will continually readjust VD
    depending on fog and darkness. Can be turned off in userconfig.

- AI use smoke grenades for concealment when wounded.

- AI detects and engages targets at greater distances, selecting apropriate weapon and fire mode according to their weapon's
    performance and distance to target. They shoot more like human players do.

- AI can use grenade launchers like the M203 and GP-25. Without this, they almost always shoot them a few meters too far.

Upvote 0
so, how you like fresh ARMA 3 video about new island?

and new info http://www.arma3.com/arma-3-overview/stratis/
note: lot of hidden feature hints there ;)
arma3_screenshot_stratis_1204_03.jpg

Upvote 0
@Dwarden, it's very looking good.

Two things that bothers me and friends of mine from my ArmA 2 unit (~60+ members, ~40 active every mission, so we run every game with two full platoons, one HQ section, 1 Flight Wing, 1 TACP section):
- hope that ACE and ACRE will be released as soon as possible, so early access for modders would be appreciated
- do not make game "more accessible" or "experiment" like some other developers do, to appeal CoD crowd (and ruin it).

Any plans for expansion/DLC? BAF would be great addon to ArmA 3 ;).

Upvote 0
Also, I know it's not that important overall but does this version finally have ragdoll?

Yes, and I think it's very important. In ArmA2 the deaths of enemies feel very delayed to the moment you hit them and the death animations are very weak. Iron Front improved this by adding new death animations and ArmA3 will finally have ragdoll, so I hope that there will be no more delayed deaths and finally some natural looking death animations ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
and finally some natural looking death animations ...

The idea of ragdolls is that the dead character just slumps right down negating the need for actual animations. There may be "push" factors (explosions, bullets) taken in to account to make the body fall in a certain direction but other than that, I don't think there will be any need for actual death animations.

P.S From looking at some vids, there is no delayed player to ragdoll deaths. <3

Upvote 0
The idea of ragdolls is that the dead character just slumps right down negating the need for actual animations. There may be "push" factors (explosions, bullets) taken in to account to make the body fall in a certain direction but other than that, I don't think there will be any need for actual death animations.

P.S From looking at some vids, there is no delayed player to ragdoll deaths. <3

You're right, that's what I meant, even though I expressed myself wrong ;)

Upvote 0

Ragdolls actually do animate the models. It's just not via man made (in the strictest sense, as the code to handle ragdolls IS manmade...) animation, but via dynamically created ones. But that's still animation.

Upvote 0