• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] ArmA 3, for real

This. They need to copy the DCS Mission editor and paste it into ArmA 2. ArmA 2 mission building is one of the most painful processes if you're not an actual coder.

ArmA's editor has a few advantages to the DCS/FC2 editor. Mainly for me I prefer how ArmA's editor handles waypoint placing. :p I believe it doesn't allow for a copy/paste of units as well which is annoying.

Otherwise I prefer the DCS/FC2 editor. Looking at World's editor there are some nice improvements. Some things I'd like to see in ArmA 3's editor in GUI format:

- Mission briefings/tasks/ect. Either I have missed it after years of having ArmA 1/2... and if I didn't, it probably is not in the most obvious place.

- In the player loadout screen (added in ArmA 3) or in an ammo box I would like the ability to search for equipment. Type in FN FAL, and everything with those words in the name is displayed and nothing else. Or be able to hide certain things. So if we are looking for long guns, we can hide pistols, grenades, and other tools.

- Vehicles should give an indication of how many people they can carry, and how many people are spawning inside of them. Sometimes it is hard to remember how many people can fit in every single vehicle. For example, click on a vehicle, and it has the number of positions listed. EX Bradley IFV: 3 crew potions (filled), and 4 out of 6 passenger positions are filled.

- If a soldier is spawning in a vehicle, there should be a visual indicator (small icon above the infantry icon).

- Be able to place AI in buildings as well as on top of them.

- Be able to set waypoints for AI to walk inside of buildings.

- 3D mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Im extremely happy that I understood a decent ammount of that guys German. Yay!

Also quite excited for this game. The more I play arma 2 the more I realize that the series up until now offers extreme breadth and little depth. ( Most of the depth gets added in mods ). Im glad that they are really fleshing out the game and adding a lot of the depth that should have been there before. It is an immersion breaker ( atleast for me ) how stupid some things are in arma 2...

Upvote 0
Indeed. I truly hate the way the binoculars work in arma2. Hate it.
But still Arma2 is a good game, for mods, once u just adapt to the "clunkiness". The game won't change so players just have to adapt, no way around it. And arma2 only came playable after the 1.60 patch last fall when they fixed the warping. Hopefully Arma3 will be more polished when they release it. Good thing that they pushed back the release a bit. Now I have more time to get in to arma2 mods before ppl evacuate to A3.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Im extremely happy that I understood a decent ammount of that guys German. Yay!

Also quite excited for this game. The more I play arma 2 the more I realize that the series up until now offers extreme breadth and little depth. ( Most of the depth gets added in mods ). Im glad that they are really fleshing out the game and adding a lot of the depth that should have been there before. It is an immersion breaker ( atleast for me ) how stupid some things are in arma 2...

This. ArmA 2 with the latest patches works much better, but even a year ago some things were flat out broken. A lot of potential but so many core aspects are done poorly.

I hope ArmA 3 goes back and fixes all of the little things. I'm looking for significant changes rather than the content (which all feels the same) DLCs that ArmA 2 gets.

I'm looking forward to ArmA 3 but can't help but feel it will turn out to be like ArmA 2 with little changes to the core issues. With better graphics, worse performance, and under water combat. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This. ArmA 2 with the latest patches works much better, but even a year ago some things were flat out broken. A lot of potential but so many core aspects are done poorly.

I hope ArmA 3 goes back and fixes all of the little things. I'm looking for significant changes rather than the content (which all feels the same) DLCs that ArmA 2 gets.

Im not even talking about the stuff they fixed mate, just find any particular subject in stock arma and pull out your trusty shovel. Driving? hehe vehicles slide on the road in an almost comical manner, armour combat really doesnt involve any of the actual armor values as all tanks seem to take damage from any AT munition even if the tank would take no damage from that munition IRL. But we gloss over that kind of stuff because of the huge breadth that the game covers. The great thing about this is that they can package up a game with obligatory better graphics and an extra layer of depth across the board and they have all of us foaming at the mouths waiting for it.

I don't even say any of that to be negative about BIA or their products, I've had some lengthy discussions about video games in general with some other enthusiasts and one of my personal feelings on ARMA as a franchise is that it really only owns the segment ( atleast until arma 3 ) by default. BIA have been very good to capitalize on that though and really convert the community with their A+ mod support, which provides a huge barrier to entry to any real competition ( other than the development cost of a competitor to ARMA, the community support of BIA is their only really big ace in the hole ).
If another company had really actually tried they might have been able to sieze a large margin of the tac sim market, or atleast make some headway. I guess BIA are somewhat lucky that their best competitor is OP Flashpoint. ( Which is similar to Intel facing off against AMD if AMD were still trying to market durons ).

Nevertheless its good to see BIA acknowledging this and making sure they are the reigning kings of the Tac sim market for the forseeable future. Yes ok I get somewhat nerdy about this kind of stuff, but long term strategies interest me, its part of the reason I was sad when TWI gave up the Brutal Infantry combat niche they were known for with RO1 ( to their credit though they are still very good with making ingame weapons feel hefty and enjoyable to use ingame, as opposed to the tinny plastic shyte in COD/BF ) .

One of the other things I am interested to see for the future of the ARMA series has to be the cross server continuity gameplay options / mods. DayZ really blasted this stuff to the foreground, and there is supposed to be built in support for it in ARMA 3. This could spell out a whole new slew of mods based off multi server progressive / continuous play.

Upvote 0
Im not even talking about the stuff they fixed mate, just find any particular subject in stock arma and pull out your trusty shovel. Driving? hehe vehicles slide on the road in an almost comical manner, armour combat really doesnt involve any of the actual armor values as all tanks seem to take damage from any AT munition even if the tank would take no damage from that munition IRL.

Exactly my point. Mods like ACE make it so much better, but there are still errors and things that are just not right. I am convinced that one T-72 version is invincible. :p

Upvote 0
Exactly my point. Mods like ACE make it so much better, but there are still errors and things that are just not right. I am convinced that one T-72 version is invincible. :p

Naw, the ACE guys just keep tweaking things and then releasing them half tested. We did a small op last sunday and had BDRM's and BMP2's eating AT4's and MAAWS HEAT rounds 3-4 at a time and taking no noticeable damage. Made for some interesting times...

Upvote 0
Naw, the ACE guys just keep tweaking things and then releasing them half tested. We did a small op last sunday and had BDRM's and BMP2's eating AT4's and MAAWS HEAT rounds 3-4 at a time and taking no noticeable damage. Made for some interesting times...

Not sure what version I am on, but the AT weapons VS tanks is okay. Though a particular T-72 variant seems impossible to stop with hand held AT weapons.

Again, this is why I am not looking forward to the futuristic setting of ArmA 3. Mods can fix it, but mods typically lack polish.

Upvote 0
I'm just saying I don't like the approach. I would prefer to fight with/against real world equipment, be it contemporary or past.

Well they were quite conservative with it, considering the bit about most of these weapons being in testing or already existing. Notice how the sidearm looks like a glock? Also a bullpup rifle isnt too far fetched. What surprised me was the lack of a transition to a bigger intermediate cartridge such as 6.8 spc.

I think we'll just have to wait and see for this one, I will mostly be playing ACE anyways so I am expecting it to bring a pile of 'older' guns back into the fray. Also some of the weapon packs available on armaholic are actually quite decent ( polish wise )

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ok, I still don't understand though.

When I use binocular I simply press B. A short animation is executed. I press B again and another short animation is executed. Whenever I am in crouch, prone, or standing does not matter. You don't have to get the rifle out either. Its done automatically.

try transitioning between stances with those binocs out. I think the other downside of binocs is that when you arent looking through them your idiot char keeps them right up to his face instead of lowering them so you can look around...

Upvote 0
Well they were quite conservative with it, considering the bit about most of these weapons being in testing or already existing. Notice how the sidearm looks like a glock? Also a bullpup rifle isnt too far fetched. What surprised me was the lack of a transition to a bigger intermediate cartridge such as 6.8 spc.

I think we'll just have to wait and see for this one, I will mostly be playing ACE anyways so I am expecting it to bring a pile of 'older' guns back into the fray. Also some of the weapon packs available on armaholic are actually quite decent ( polish wise )

Not sure if railgun tanks or Mi-28/KA-50 hybrids with a cargo bay magically stuffed into it fits the "conservative" bill. :p

My issue with mods is that they often cause incompatibility issues and make playing online difficult. Fix one thing, break another. I would have hoped they would have got ArmA 3 done right out of the box.

Upvote 0
try transitioning between stances with those binocs out. I think the other downside of binocs is that when you arent looking through them your idiot char keeps them right up to his face instead of lowering them so you can look around...

Yeap, there are so many things wrong with the way binocs work atm. On top of the things u mentioned you can't run with the binocs in ur hand either. Must be magic binocs.

Upvote 0