• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] ArmA 3, for real

Is the game more accessible than ARMA 2? For example would a Battlefield 3 player perhaps enjoy it? (@serbusfish )

''It’s not a fundamentally different game, or anything, but weapon/player movement does feel a little more modern in terms of accessibility, the version I played had a toggleable acceleration setting that made turning with the mouse feel like a modern FPS. Arma typically has an “aiming deadzone” slider which can allow your arms move to independently from your player’s body. It may not be cut, but I couldn’t find this slider in the version I played.

One design change that’ll contribute some accessibility is the addition of a camp hub that you visit between campaign missions. There’s a few different things to do scattered around the camp, but the firing range was one of my favorites. It features pop-up targets that you can fire at with different weapons, but smartly, a picture-in-picture close-up of the target itself appears as you’re shooting to provide feedback.''
http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/arma-3-e3-hands-on-preview-8-questions-answered/

Makes me a little bit worried, but I am aware that you'll get bashed by mentioning accessibility on the official board.. which is positive. Hopefully people who enjoy BF wont be drawn into arma. Anyone who want accessibility does not belong in the community anyway.

Upvote 0
http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/arma-3-e3-hands-on-preview-8-questions-answered/

Makes me a little bit worried, but I am aware that you'll get bashed by mentioning accessibility on the official board.. which is positive. Hopefully people who enjoy BF wont be drawn into arma. Anyone who want accessibility does not belong in the community anyway.

I hope they won't go for "accessible" thingy. I've seen so many dumb posts on DayZ forum and people asking to make game easy, ie:
- Why night is dark?
- I get lost every time, why we don't respawn with map and gps?
- M249 sux! I cannot run and shoot with that weapon. Fix it!
- Why I cannot chose respawn point?
- Why map is so big?
etc.

That would ruin DayZ gameplay.

''It’s not a fundamentally different game, or anything, but weapon/player movement does feel a little more modern in terms of accessibility, the version I played had a toggleable acceleration setting that made turning with the mouse feel like a modern FPS. Arma typically has an “aiming deadzone” slider which can allow your arms move to independently from your player’s body. It may not be cut, but I couldn’t find this slider in the version I played.
Actually that's great feature of ArmA games. You cannot make instant 180 turns like in CoD or RO2 and you have full body awareness.I hope it's toggleable for single player only.

I had probably had 20-25 enemy infantry (and an enemy vehicle) scattered across a kilometer or two, plus my six or seven-man squad.
That's not much. We usually roll with 50-70 players, 50-400 enemies, various numbers of civilians, and other units. I reckon we have to wait for Alpha version in August to judge performance.

Last but on least, if Bohemia screw something, ACE will fix it properly anyway^^.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-arma-iii/731945

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-arma-iii/731947

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was hoping for an improved AI, it actually looked worse in the videos. They even admitted "dumbing them down" a bit to make them move faster through the cities.

AI is so important to this game, it baffles me that they neglect it because of the fancy lightning and animations. Micro AI of ArmA 2 was a major selling point for me(even though they were not "Micro" at all).

Upvote 0
I was hoping for an improved AI, it actually looked worse in the videos. They even admitted "dumbing them down" a bit to make them move faster through the cities.

AI is so important to this game, it baffles me that they neglect it because of the fancy lightning and animations. Micro AI of ArmA 2 was a major selling point for me(even though they were not "Micro" at all).

I thought I read elsewhere that A3 was still using the A2 AI scripts or whatnot. So they might get an overhaul. At least for DayZ:A3 :D

I am more concerned about the PvP aspects of A3, and if it will be such a mess that it is in A2. Luckily PR (http://www.realitymod.com/downloads) made it more consistent with just 1 mod.

Upvote 0
It's very likely that they did dumb the AI for demostration purposes. If the AI is dumber you can processed much faster and the risk that you have to restart the mission is decreased. I doubt that the AI will be worse in A3. They are aware that the AI has its flaws, and they are certainly not going to dumb it down or halt to improve it.

In general, I hope that they wont change the feeling of the game to much, e.i decreasing the clunky feeling in order to make aiming and such more in line with peoples expectations of a FPS. Aiming deadzone should in my opinion not be a choice, but forced upon the player on a certain extent. Because aiming should feel like you aim with a weapon and not with a mouse.

Upvote 0
Ahh,,they added reloading animations, just for Colt.45.
Looking good, for an Alpha...

Fanboy.

I sent them a letter saying I was an american and unless they did as I said I would tell fox n friends that people in their home country wore turbans and they had oil reserves. No simpler way to negotiate with terror... err .. game developers. :D

Was there a video somewhers with real animations?

edit nm just found it: finally.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
edit nm just found it: finally.

I didn't notice it the first time I watched it. Looks good. I wish they would spend more time in the first person, they tend to switch to third person when demoing ArmA 2/3 off.

If they fixed the animations, I hope the next thing they do is make grenade selection and the fire mode button different.

Upvote 0
Yeah, if they've made real animations that look good they should be showing them off more. I'm not sure they realize just how much some of the fanbase cares about small details like that.

Part of the reason is they seem to want to show off the world player animations, but even in ArmA 2, they seemed to play in 3rd person a lot. I do use 3rd person myself in ArmA 2, but not when playing. Unless if I am running to a target over a long distance, so I can view my player/gear to prevent myself from getting bored. But once the actual gameplay starts I always stay in first person.

Since they reworked the loadout screen I am wondering if they changed the squad command interface.

Upvote 0
Uhm....:/ this upset me, ArmA everytime goes one step forward to be an arcade game :/

Now Israel got modified Mil Mi-28...yeah....i hope the infantry simulation to get better, at least.
Don't worry, I'm sure there'll be plenty of mods that'll add real vehicles (like A.C.E.).
The heli simulation is better in A3 considering they're using the take on helicopters fm.

Upvote 0
Uhm....:/ this upset me, ArmA everytime goes one step forward to be an arcade game :/

Now Israel got modified Mil Mi-28...yeah....i hope the infantry simulation to get better, at least.

Few modding communities already work on modern weaponry and vehicles for ArmA 3.
For example UKF team on theirs SA80 and British Army stuff.
Same story with ACE team.

Here's great post "Is ArmA 3 authentic?" with image examples

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?132745-Is-Arma-3-authentic&p=2123912#post2123912

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Few modding communities already work on modern weaponry and vehicles for ArmA 3.
For example UKF team on theirs SA80 and British Army stuff.
Same story with ACE team.

Here's great post "Is ArmA 3 authentic?" with image examples

[url]http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?132745-Is-Arma-3-authentic&p=2123912#post2123912[/URL]

That is good news (the modding part). My main issue is many, though not all, but many of these weapon and vehicle packs are of low quality. I hope the new mods at least bring the equipment up to ArmA 3 standards.

I hope they show off some more of the editor changes. The editor is very powerful, but the simplest things are done via script/command lines. They need to add a lot more GUI to the editor.

Though ArmA 3 is looking to be a bigger leap forward than ArmA 2 was which is a good thing.

The graphics look great, but I will probably have to turn down the new features. :p

Upvote 0
That is good news (the modding part). My main issue is many, though not all, but many of these weapon and vehicle packs are of low quality. I hope the new mods at least bring the equipment up to ArmA 3 standards.

I hope they show off some more of the editor changes. The editor is very powerful, but the simplest things are done via script/command lines. They need to add a lot more GUI to the editor.

Though ArmA 3 is looking to be a bigger leap forward than ArmA 2 was which is a good thing.

The graphics look great, but I will probably have to turn down the new features. :p

You can setup a mission with few mouse clicks and put a weapons box next to a respawn so your friends can grab it. I think ArmA 2 editor is easy and fast way to create a custom mission even in few minutes, however I'm always open for improvements :)

I have very good news:

Take On helicopter flighmodel WILL BE also in Arma3. Now I can safely confirm it will be also in campaing and it will be DEFAULT flightmodel for ALL the helicopters.
source

Now let's hope they add as much as possible ACE features :)

Upvote 0

This. They need to copy the DCS Mission editor and paste it into ArmA 2. ArmA 2 mission building is one of the most painful processes if you're not an actual coder.

Upvote 0
I'm sure the arma editor can be improved in many ways but still I don't see much shizzle with it. With arma edit and Murays guide it works wonderful. Its just a matter of copying a few scripts here and there. Depends on what you're doing though. I tried to create cutscenes yesterday and it was far more easy than I thought. Then I did very simple things but still. The learning curve is however very high. At least it was for me because I have never written a script before or anything like that when I began using it.

What is DCS Mission editor and how does it works? Sounds interesting

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What is DCS Mission editor and how does it works? Sounds interesting

Tons of things you'd need to mess with init line\scripts in OFP\A1\A2 can be done via editor itself, say need to place object at certain height? Just do it via editor menu instead of having to input "this setpos [getpos this select 0, getpos this select 1, x]"

Upvote 0