• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Iron Front: Liberation 1944

Impressive. Most impressive.

I am curious what entrenching tools do (I saw them in Russian video). You know, like having black belt in hand-to-hand combat. Or digging your own trench. Or diging up mines. Endless possibilities. I like idea of carrying equipment. I wonder if you can destroy someone's radio carried on his back by shooting at it, making the whole team unable to communicate with HQ.

I like the idea of showing effects of each shoot in tank video. It helps to witness the power of each shoot. Small details, like tank's destructible shields, adds to the atmosphere.

I know it'll be boring most of the time (it's ARMA style after all), but I like attention to detail and it's more fitting to play World War 2 rather than all these new ARMA 2 or 3, with scopes and stuff attached to each weapon. Soviet offensive against Germany is also subject mostly untouched by many developers.

While I love aircrafts in general they always proved to be harder to control than I'd like them to be.

I remeber playing Battlefield 1943: Pacific version. I took a plane and fired an engine to lookout at the sea (I was the Japanese soldier, my friends were Americans). I found a barge, so I dived and dropped two torpedos. I was flying so low that people on the barge were able to damage my plane, but then I realized that I dropped my torpedo straight on their heads. By luck I managed to destroy transport with my friends.

If air and air-ground combat will be able to provide such a great feelings then it's worth for the aircrafts alone.

I have great hopes for this game, it has great potential and is an alternative to Battlefield, which is commonly referred to as "an FPS with vehicles".

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If air and air-ground combat will be able to provide such a great feelings then it's worth for the aircrafts alone.

The flight model still looks awful (though better than ArmA 2). It has the "attached to a pole, sliding around it" feel. If they could make a flight model like Ace Combat 6, which is unrealistic, yet easy and gives you some feel and sense that you are flying, I would be satisfied. Though I am amazed at how many games can not get an Ace Combat type of flight model done, even games that are based around flight (Lethal Skies, Aero Elite/Dancing, HAWX ect.).

Wings of Prey also did an excellent job for a light flight sim. Even with the most unrealistic settings selected. If they could managed to make such a flight model in IF/ArmA then the aircraft would be worth getting into.

Upvote 0
I believe this video is new

Iron Front: Liberation 1944 | Exclusive Tank Armor Preview - YouTube

Open maps, huge variety of vehicles, solid tank combat, player can enter and leave vehicles - great stuff :)

Map editor, trenches etc overview

Iron Front: Liberation 1944 | Exclusive Units, Settings and Maps Preview - YouTube

Custom mission can be make in 2 minutes. Also static MGs has proper recoil.

These actually look more interesting than anything else I have seen, not to mention they are in English.

Anything on smaller infantry oriented maps? Those shown look decent, but they also look like you could wander around half the round and not even spot the enemy...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Been following up on this game for awhile so I'll be getting it soon after release date. Of course, bills and rent come first. ;)

But it definitely has potential this one, in my opinion it is a completely different experience then Red Orchestra and I don't understand the comparisons outside it being Eastern Front combat. I'll be playing a Hell of a lot of both titles this summer, most likely more RO2 but this looks worth the purchase for what is a relatively cheap price..

Upvote 0

First the good:

Looks Interesting. Graphics are very nice and even the big maps are very detailed...

Lots of content.

Big maps (that's good and bad).

An impressive amount of work seems to have gone into this.

------------------------------

Take the next stuff as constructive criticism. Much of it is stuff I just don't like in games, others might so much of the next is purely opinion:

Why can you see all the players on your map... GPS?

The walking sounds like a bunch of catapillers munching on leaves, amplified of course. Just a comment, if anyone has been in the woods in the summer at night they know what I mean (or its their droppings hitting the leaves on the way down ) :D

Running looks too fast, no loss of stamina? At some points (one at 31:05) players seem to be sprinting faster than I've seen most dogs run.

3rd person view, I really don't like as it seems like cheating. As Sidestrafe said, its kinda 'cheap'

Too much info and HUD on the screen.

On the second map, lots of driving. Are there players just racing in jeeps to the cap points, cap and then move on? Seems more like a tank driving sim.

Seems more points awarded for accidents (destroyed by accident)? In other words, more vehicle destruction by accidents than actual combat.

Too many players running and ramboing with mgs, looks hokey.

Players teleporting into vehicles at one point escaping fire because of it.

Can any player just grab any weapon out of spawn? Can any player just drive any vehicle? I personally don't like the idea of no classes.

IS2 turret moves to fast (with mouse?) seems very unrealistic.

Big maps, while I like, just need a lot more players than what is represented in the video. I mean there should be hundreds. Because of this it seems there is very little combat for the time spent on the maps

-----------------------

Overall impressions from video, it looks beautiful with lots of content. Those large maps must have taken quite awhile to create. Still, the maps seem too big for the numbers of players that will be on them. Other areas of the game seem too fast paced for me with what I saw and might only seem slower because of the size of the maps. Lots of other things bother me as mentioned above.

I'm guessing if I got this and it ran well enough, I would be initially impressed just because of its looks, but after a short while I would really begin to notice all those things that I see as flaws in gameplay and it would bother me to the point I would stop playing in less than a month.

Obviously, just my opinion. I wish them well with the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I love arma so im thinking about getting it, 30 euros for a standalone mod is kinda asking too much tho, arma 2 + operation arrowhead is cheaper than that

amazon has it for 15 pounds which is a fair price but thats boxed version, can anyone find digital download for that price ?
---------

Moe, most of those things can be changed with mods or simple tweaks, 3rd person for example, servers will prolly be able to disable 3rd person and crosshairs if they want (thats possible in arma so it should be possible here), removing players from the map should also be possible. Its arma so yes, you'll have to drive ALOT unless its a small map

The engine can hold hundreds of players but if there is AI my guess is that 50/64 will be the max (this isnt confirmed and i dont have any source but thats how it works in arma 2)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I love arma so im thinking about getting it, 30 euros for a standalone mod is kinda asking too much tho, arma 2 + operation arrowhead is cheaper than that

amazon has it for 15 pounds which is a fair price but thats boxed version, can anyone find digital download for that price ?

Should be coming to steam soon, I'll be buying from there personally

Upvote 0

I don't know any download site that offers IF for ~ 15 pounds, as far as I know the boxed version @ Amazon.co.uk or play.com is the cheapest offer so far.
Concerning ArmA2 CO:
ArmA2 has been released 3 years ago and Operation Arrowhead 2 years ago, you really can't compare them to IF. And most important: IF is not a mod, it is a stand-alone game which has to offer lots of content, more than ArmA2 when it was released IIRC (and IF is even cheaper than ArmA2 when it was released).

@Moe: I know you don't care about the argument "can be disabled in the server settings", anyway:

Take the next stuff as constructive criticism. Much of it is stuff I just don't like in games, others might so much of the next is purely opinion:

Why can you see all the players on your map... GPS?

Can be disabled in the server settings

The walking sounds like a bunch of catapillers munching on leaves, amplified of course. Just a comment, if anyone has been in the woods in the summer at night they know what I mean (or its their droppings hitting the leaves on the way down ) :D

The strange sprinting sound is a bug, will be fixed

Running looks too fast, no loss of stamina? At some points (one at 31:05) players seem to be sprinting faster than I've seen most dogs run.

There is no stamina, but long and fast running has a huge effect on your aiming. Moreover I don't think the running is too fast.

3rd person view, I really don't like as it seems like cheating. As Sidestrafe said, its kinda 'cheap'

Can be disabled in the server settings

Too much info and HUD on the screen.

I think this can partly be disabled in the server settings

On the second map, lots of driving. Are there players just racing in jeeps to the cap points, cap and then move on? Seems more like a tank driving sim.

Seriously? There are lots of vehicles and cars in this game and you are free to use it or not ... if you prefer to walk to the objectives, then you're free to do so ;)

Seems more points awarded for accidents (destroyed by accident)? In other words, more vehicle destruction by accidents than actual combat.

I am not sure about this one, because I didn't really pay attention to it (maybe the system is a little buggy, idk), all I remember is that I destroyed my Fw190 right after the beginning of the second map, because I flew in the spawn protected area of the enemy :rolleyes:

Too many players running and ramboing with mgs, looks hokey.

I can't agree on this one, there were not many MGs running around and "ramboing with MGs" like it is impossible in Ro2, the recoil of the MGs is way too high to do so.

Players teleporting into vehicles at one point escaping fire because of it.

I agree on this one, but it's really a big deal to my mind.

Can any player just grab any weapon out of spawn? Can any player just drive any vehicle? I personally don't like the idea of no classes.

There are classes. More details about the several multiplayer modes will probably follow shortly before or after the release.

IS2 turret moves to fast (with mouse?) seems very unrealistic.

I don't know how fast the turret of an IS-2 can rotate, so I can't say anything about this one.

Big maps, while I like, just need a lot more players than what is represented in the video. I mean there should be hundreds. Because of this it seems there is very little combat for the time spent on the maps.

The multiplayer footage by SideStrafe was recorded during a press event with only ~20-25 players, the engine is capable of handling much bigger player counts, so don't worry on this one. Furthermore there are lots of missions for different amounts of players, from very small and fast paced to very big and slow paced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Moe: I know you don't care about the argument "can be disabled in the server settings", anyway:

Well, I can still thank you for answering the questions :D

Just a comment and further explanation about the 'driving' as I meant the maps are so large and if not enough players are on them, it seems in some cases you will just have players racing to objectives in jeeps/HTs, sit there till they cap it, and race on to the next objective. I saw this behavior in some of the large custom maps for Darkest Hours. Great mod and some great maps, but not enough players for the map size to effectively play them. That is all.

The few other things, as you said, are either server side settings or we just don't agree on them. Good to hear it supports more players, as the 20-25 on the one map did not seem to be enough.

Upvote 0
Just a comment and further explanation about the 'driving' as I meant the maps are so large and if not enough players are on them, it seems in some cases you will just have players racing to objectives in jeeps/HTs, sit there till they cap it, and race on to the next objective. I saw this behavior in some of the large custom maps for Darkest Hours. Great mod and some great maps, but not enough players for the map size to effectively play them. That is all.

Ok, now I get your point ;)
I agree, this "racing" is not fun at all and playing e.g. CH on a huge map with only 20 players doesn't really make sense once the game is released, but for the press event we didn't really have a choice since the number of people with access to the beta is very limited, the number of those who had time to participate was even lower of course.

Maybe the game can convince you anyway within the next few days when new multiplayer footage will be released ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This will happen in any gametype that has capzones, vehicles and larger maps without enough players. The sole reason I gave up on AAS PVP in A2, it always seemed to be just a mad rush with only a handful of players on each side. You need a bunch of players to make it work.

Anyone coming to ARMA sized maps from any other FPS will freak out over the difference in required gameplay, you can't just jump into battles, getting there can be half the fun but only if you work with others. Driving yourself to battle can get dull, running can make you nuts if it's a long way, but grouping up and loading a vehicle with teammates and playing with a strategy can be a blast. There's enough time to decide where you're going and what to do when you get there. And in all reality, the transit time is usually only a few minutes in most gametypes. That's for A2. I haven't played IF so take it with a grain of salt.

Upvote 0