• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The "what are you currently playing?" thread #2

So is Mass Effect 3 worth buying? I mean, I was very engaged in the first two games but I've just heard so much vitriol about the 3rd I hesitate... even now when it's much cheaper already.

On the other hand maybe I should wait till the price just drops even further and buy it all in a package with all the DLC...

I got ME3 for 5 euros on greenmangaming during the christmas sales :3
Didn't get any DLC but it's certainly worth the money.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ME3 is worth buying. It could have been so much better in regards to side quests, more ports to walk around, by giving us some freedom to do the missions, polishing some small but annoying bugs before release and if it took into account more story decisions from the first two games. The ending wasn't superb either.

That being said, it was a rather solid game. People are a bit hard on the ending not being effected by many of the gameplay decisions, though this trend started with ME2. Most of the big decisions (Anderson VS Udina) essentially made zero difference in ME2.

Upvote 0
Planetside 2. Got into it with a couple of buddies. It's pretty good. Runs a little poorly on my system but I only have 4 gigs of ram so that's the likely culprit.

It turned out to be nigh impossible to spawn on my friends in our own private squad though, that put a pretty big damper on things. Do you need to buy the Squad Beacon before people can respawn right on top of you?

The base minimap and configuration of generators and shields....totally illegible to me. I get you need to take A, B, C...beyond that? I'm clueless. The minimap is just a freaking mess of icons, colors and movement.

No one was kidding about certs either, not only do you get them slowly but you buy everything with them. Yeesh.

I stuck with Light Assault the whole night and didn't do so hot. I made plenty of kills but I died way more. Is there a good, like,single shot or 3 round burst, medium-to-long range rifle you can buy and equip as Terran Republic Light Assault? Or a rifle that with a good scope can let you engage at long range that's still assault-y? The engagement ranges, until you can spawn near the objectives, are insane. But I really like the mobility of Light Assault.

Overall it's a pretty fun game and definitely delivers epic moments. I'm not all that great at FPS, but it only took me a few minutes to make my first kill and I had around 25 or so after a few hours. I survived enough one on one fights that I didn't feel completely outclassed by people I was running into. The game is not super complicated, but it's densely packed with information and options so it takes a while to digest it all. It's definitely set up to be a game people play for years at a time, slowly filling out their certs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Enhanced Edition. I knew it would be bad, but I got it anyways. Games for Windows Live, bad menu (no mouse support), horrid flying, control customization is broken, lots of QTE or moments where you have little to no control, forced actions, and enemies spawning in your face. :p

I really liked the PS2 Ace Combat games, and this is inferior from a gameplay standpoint in so many ways.

That being said, while the controls are unplayable on my X52Pro (too insensitive and no remapping) I am sure once I get my 360 controller it will at least be playable. It should arrive in a few days. Once I get it I will try the game again and see how it plays. But so far the gameplay style just isn't fun and I can tell that it wasn't an ideal PC port.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I just got ME3 for free :). I've been waiting for a while for Gamefly to put Raven Shield up on their service (I bought it on D2D a while back but since D2D merged with Gamefly I haven't been able to play it), and as a way of apologizing for the delay they gave me a $15 coupon which I promptly used on ME3 which is on 50% off sale on their service.

This is on top of a $5 coupon they gave me when I originally inquired about when RS would be available. So ya I'm pretty impressed with their customer service. Especially when this is over a game that is nearly a decade old now.

Upvote 0
Finished Assault Horizon. The game is okay, and a step back from the PS2 games. Out of the previous Ace Combat titles (from PS2 to now), this has the least amount of missions. There are a few on rail gunner missions which are entirely linear and have no replay value. So mission wise, we are not getting as much as we used to from the series.

The "Assault mode" is absolutely terrible. The game does force you to go into it in most missions, though there are large sections where you do not have to use it. Essentially a circle appears around an enemy, you press a button, and you magically appear behind them. Everything is extremely zoomed in, lots of shaky camera and cinematic affects. You have limited flight control and you and your target zip around at near 90 degree angles. Sometimes you will literally zig zag around buildings in a flight path that assists of sharp "jumps" left and right. More or less, you spam the missile and cannon button while notching your stick around.

Occasionally when killing an enemy, you will get a forced slow motion kill camera. It gets old quick. An occasionally you will drop out of assault mode pointed right at the ground at 300 feet giving you zero time to pull up. Nothing more frustrating that a forced crash. :)

Additionally, enemies can forced you into assault mode (though they are "assaulting you"). In which case, their movement is mirrored exactly from you. When this happens you can not out maneuver them through traditional means. The game series was always arcadey, but at least we were able to defeat enemies with our simplistic flight skills. Not so much in this game.

Occasionally you or enemies can do a slow motion action inspired back up. You will go from 2,500 MPH to flipping behind an enemy (radius of about 200 feet) in under a second. :eek:

Missions have no briefing or debriefing. You will miss looking at how many kills and of what aircraft type to got in the mission. Plane choice per mission is limited as well. Also, no free flight with no enemies. Also, no music player.

Story wise, the interesting Strangereal world is gone and replaced with the real Earth. It is very generic and uninspired. Even the corny and unbelievable parts of previous games in the series are far better. Plot described below:

Spoiler!

Control customization does not work for my X52Pro. Likewise, it is too unresponsive. Use an Xbox controller and it is playable. The mouse does not work in the main menu. Games for Windows Live sucks, but so far it hasn't done anything wrong for me yet. Maybe it has improved...

Graphics are pretty nice, though some textures are rather low res. Game runs perfectly aside from some slow downs. The maps of certain cities, such as Dubai, look very similar to their real world counter parts. They did a good job there and the scenery (for a flying game) is rather nice.

As I mentioned, some missions are lame and on rails or force you to go into assault mode frequently. Others don't, and offer a more traditional Ace Combat arcade flight game experience and can be quite enjoyable.

Sounds are nice, and the music is decent. Probably my least favorite sound track out of all the Ace Combat games I have played, but it is better than most games.

Multiplayer offers various modes though I have only tried deathmatch, which is boring due to everyone using assault mode. I believe co-op works on the campaign, which is a plus.

Aside from the annoying control configuring issues the game is very stable with essentially zero bugs as you can expect for an Ace Combat game.

I will not say the game is terrible, but it is not great. Both on its own and especially as a successor to the previous titles. I would say it is a pretty average game. Considering its $35 price tag, you could do a whole lot worse. :) If you are itching for an arcade style flight game on the PC then this stands above HAWX 1/2 and the extremely low budget Topgun game from a few years back. So, this might be the ticked for those people. If you have an Xbox 360, then get Ace Combat 6 because the demo blew this out of the water. And of course, if you are looking for anything remotely realistic or sim in nature, don't bother.

This post turned out to be four times longer than I thought it would.

Well I just got ME3 for free :). I've been waiting for a while for Gamefly to put Raven Shield up on their service (I bought it on D2D a while back but since D2D merged with Gamefly I haven't been able to play it), and as a way of apologizing for the delay they gave me a $15 coupon which I promptly used on ME3 which is on 50% off sale on their service.

This is on top of a $5 coupon they gave me when I originally inquired about when RS would be available. So ya I'm pretty impressed with their customer service. Especially when this is over a game that is nearly a decade old now.

I only used Gamefly once or twice and I was satisfied. Though I have only bought codes, no downloads.

That being said, I have tried their client and I really do not like it. I will only buy Steam/Origin codes from them if their other downloads require me to use their client. :p

Upvote 0
Any thoughts on the ME3 story DLC (don't care about the weapons/skins stuff)? If I do get any of it I want to get it now rather than later (i.e. before I finish my first playthrough)

I enjoyed the ME2 DLC (at least Shadow Broker, and the Kasumi one) even if I thought they were overpriced.

The story DLC is worth it. Levithan is good (my favorite so far), though should probably have been in the main game. It adds to the Extended Cut (not sure how much). Make sure you manually downloaded the Extended Cut. The Prothean character and DLC is worth it as well.

Upvote 0
Been playing a lot of Path of Exile with a buddy. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the game. For a free to play Diablo clone, it's fun in the same way Diablo 2 was, despite the fact the game is derivative. Its doing a lot of clever things though and has player choice coming out the whazoo, compared to D3 where your trips to town were short and perfunctory. It has the quality and polish of a game you'd pay for (which has everything to with how long it's been in "beta".) But hey, it's free so I have no problem with that. About the only thing to do dislike about it is its aesthetic, it's very brown and grim. But to some people that's a plus (I like the style but it IS just a touch too brown and bland.)

Also been playing Strike Suit Zero, a Kickstarter project that's gone all the way to release on Steam in a pretty short span of time. It's a space fighting game where you can turn into a mecha suit for short periods of time. It's a lighter, arcade version of space fighting sims like Tie Fighter and Free Space 2. It's easy to get into and the dog fighting and fleet battles are fairly satisfying. For $20 I'm satisfied, it's less of an ordeal than installing FS2 and all the mods, even if it lacks a lot of the detailed mechanics and options.

Upvote 0
I'm on mission 10 in Strike Suit Zero. It is a rather fun game. Sometimes objectives fail to update or the game crashes. Sadly there is no checkpoint if you exit the mission so if you're on the final part and you have to turn off the game or it crashes you will have to restart it from the beginning.

Graphics get the job done, though the detail on some of the flyable ships is extremely low. The fighter is probably the ugliest object in game, even enemy fighters look better. :confused:

Aside from that it is fun. Mod tools and cockpits to come at a later date. DLC for those that Kickstarted. I'll mention more about its pluses and minuses when I am done.

Upvote 0
The story DLC is worth it. Levithan is good (my favorite so far), though should probably have been in the main game. It adds to the Extended Cut (not sure how much). Make sure you manually downloaded the Extended Cut. The Prothean character and DLC is worth it as well.

What do you mean manually download it? (I downloaded through Origin and I've been getting an error message in game telling me the DLC is corrupt but have tried repairing it several times to no avail)

Is there another way to d/l and install it?

Upvote 0
What do you mean manually download it? (I downloaded through Origin and I've been getting an error message in game telling me the DLC is corrupt but have tried repairing it several times to no avail)

Is there another way to d/l and install it?

No, but you will have to manually right click on the game, view DLC, and download/install. Not a big deal though it would have been nice if the EC automatically downloaded with the base game.

As for your issues I am not sure what is wrong. I have not had any issue like that so far. Sadly a reinstall might be necessary, and the download is huge. :( On the bright side, Origin downloads fast, about twice as fast as Steam for me. :p

Edit: I have essentially finished Strikesuit Zero. I have not finished the last mission, though got half way through it. As mentioned before, if you like classic space or vehicle shooters this game will get the job done. There are only four flyable ships, though I think after you finish the final mission you can choose your ship on each mission.

There are a few weapon types, which comprise of heavy missiles, light dog fight missiles, anti shield missions and various levels of plasma cannons. As you play the missions you unlock more of these weapon types, of which you can choose at the start of each mission.

Some missions can get chaotic and there is typically a large number of units on screen. It makes for a nice back drop and makes the battles feel large.

In terms of the space flight/movement, it is extremely basic. Think of a classic shooter. The movement is not realistic. Likewise, the targeting systems are extremely simple. Cannons are manually controlled. Do not expect anything realistic or difficult as the ship controls are as basic as they can get.

The story is not much more than a backdrop and is extremely forgettable. On the final mission (which I have yet to complete) more details about the story are given out than in the previous 12. Still, the story is simple and essentially non-existent. Honestly this is better than shoving a horrid story down our throats as we can focus on the gameplay. But a nice story would have added a lot to the game.

The music in the game is nice and fitting. Some tracks remind me of Homeworld 2, while others remind me of anime like Macross.

I have put 9.2 hours into it so far, though as mentioned, still have to complete the last mission. So about 10 hours of gameplay. At this time there is no MP, though I think it might be added in at a later date.

If you are looking for a space shooter much like Star Wars Starfighter/Jedi Starfighter and do not mind a low budget title, this gets the job done. I had fun playing this game and would recommend it to others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bought Impire over the weekend, gave it its due. Started out really good. Nice atmospheric visuals, quality music, mechanical crunchiness to delve into...but after about 4 missions it became clear what the game really amounted to: a generally bland RTS combined with the bare framework of a dungeon management game, with poor consistency in the controls that made the primary gameplay, running your minions around, tedious.

Add to that some other tedious features like having to feed your troops so they perform at their best, really turned it into a grind, akin to spending your downtime in an rts moving a group of units back and forth between A & B because the game simply dictates that you have to. They already patched it to make it less onerous, but the damage is done. Or having to, about every 8 minutes, teleport your guys all over your dungeon to destroy ladders and then teleport back to the entrance to fight a wave of heroes. So. Annoyingly. Repetitive. Oh and the humor is downright god awful.

Another Dungeon Keeper rival swings and pretty much completely misses. The Keeper retains their throne.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Borrowed Black Ops II for PS3 because I needed something different. I'm merely average on a controller; I actually have to use tactics to be successful, as opposed to MW2 on the PC where I could rely on my aim and reflexes to get a good ratio.

Multiplayer gameplay is addictive and balanced as ever. The community in this game is simply horrible, the worst I've ever seen. You have gangstas and elementary school kids emitting a stream of constant profanity and plenty of dicks in playertags. On the plus side, it is pretty satisfying when you piss one of them off and they start raging on the mic (I don't think it's push-to-talk). Had a little kid screech at the top of his lungs once when he ran around a corner into my buckshot.

Upvote 0
Stronghold Crusader.

Can anyone recommend some (good) local coop games that can be played one PC? There are plenty of racing games (Dirt 3, Split/Second, Blur) and stuff like Worms. Any more ideas? Maybe a LEGO game (if yes which one?).

And I don't care for fighting games like Street Fighter.
Trine 1 and 2 + Goblin Menace
Rayman Origins

Upvote 0