• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Word of Tanks

Arghgblglg. Tense game is tense.

Just managed to take out an IS-3 and an SU somthing or other arty piece, all alone in an SU-152 TD. Aside from other tanks I'd been shooting, I had been peppering the IS-3 with HE for a while (122mm AP very rarely penetrates even on the side of the damn things), got him down to about 30%, when they lost their 3rd last guy so he ran away to their flag.

The one remaining KV on my team and I flanked round to their flag and he went in to cap and draw him out and me sit and cover. Sadly the IS3 popped out of no here and one shotted the poor guy while I missed. At this point I had 3 HE shells left 3 AP, 50% health (easily a one shot kill for the IS or the arty) and 2:30 left on the clock. A team mate said just to hide and go for the draw, but I decided to ignore the odds and bum rush the IS3, no idea where or what the arty was doing at this point.

After rushing to the flag area, I turned a corner and bumped right into the front of the IS3, fired HE and got him down to 9%, he missed. Knowing I had a faster reload time I giggled thinking I had won, but evil WoT physics clipped me against a building he was retreating around, leaving half stuck and partially sticking out. He then fired a shot, detracked me and moved back to go around the building. Remembering I had a repair kit, used it and spun myself round, got him roughly in my sites and fired, missed but it spooked him enough to try and come round the front way again, while I was down to only one HE shell. Just got myself turned around to face him as he came round the corner, he fired, somehow dinged off my armour (probably the gun mount anything else at that angle would have been death), tracked his movement for a few more seconds as he tried to go past me, fired my last shot and got him, \:)/

By now there was about 1min left and no one on my team knew where the useless last arty piece was, so I just set off guessing where they would be. 20 seconds left and I cleared a top of a hill racing down to where I hoped he would be, when I noticed a red blip just to my right on the map. Spun round to thankfully find he was already damaged, fired one shot and got him with 8 seconds left on the clock and only 2 shells remaining. :cool:

Wall of text away!

Nice!

I haven't had anything that tense, but I did have a couple of 'oh, that was cool' moments with my SU-8 yesterday.

First, I discovered that if you're lucky, the 152 howitzer on the SU-8 can one-shot a KV-3. Lakeville map, I was on the south side, and our scouts spotted the KV-3 parked on the north side. He was stopped, front face towards me ... and -blam-, he was done. I didn't know that was even possible. Thought the KV-3 had more armor than that. Must have gotten his ammo or something. (Haven't managed to replicate that feat, though.)

Second, I took a snap-shot at an IS3 that was hassling our scouts on Malinovka. Watching the line come in, I knew I wasn't even close. He was moving, and I hadn't let the reticle settle out enough. The shell lands, and my crew says 'We smoked him! Find another target.' The IS2 is running around still, so I'm thinking WTF?!?!?! But then the scouts moved over near the impact area, and there was a dead Matilda there. I couldn't even see him. Total one in a billion chance that I even hit anything.

Upvote 0
I think its been said on the forums that if the US tanks get released before the end of the beta, that there won't be a soft wipe. So as the tanks are fairly used and not just most people skipping up the tech tree with free exp.

If there is a wipe, it'll be a hardwipe were everything is lost, though I don' think that'll happen until release from beta.

Upvote 0
It's going to be free to play, with gold purchasable with real money which then you can buy premium time/tanks/ammo or convert it to credits(the standard money) or to turn specific tank exp to 'free' exp, so you can play in tank A and then use free exp to unlock stuff on tank B.

No one knows the prices exactly (they will be different from the russian release) but its assumed that 2,500 gold (1 month of premium time) will be around/less than the average MMO sub.

Upvote 0
(apparently you can't edit posts any more after a few minutes :confused:, so sorry for the double post but just wanted to add this)

My experience with gold is that come the release, you'll be able to play fine without it, it'll take longer and be a bit tougher to gain money/exp without premium time but certainly not game breaking.

Premium ammo is good but I've never felt the need to use it and it would be way to expensive to use it regularly come release, though it may be nice to have a few shells of it when you run into a very tough tank.

Premium tanks, nice credit/exp farmers due to their low repair costs but they give no advantage and just add flavour.

Free exp conversion I will miss as its nice to be able to play in one tank and use its experience to skip a tank in another tier etc but again its not game breaking, but rather just handy.

Oh and there's gold crew training to take crews upto 100%, but again I managed fine without it before I got the free gold in the beta it just takes away a bit of the grind and you can train up to 75% with credits anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Best moment I'v had so far was when I held off and destroyed 6 tanks in my T34/85, without tanking damage. Had the normal 85mm gun.

I was advancing down a road in the city map with the large hill alone. Suddenly a T34/85 came in sight, I turned to a 10:30 position and hit hit him in the side twice, he shot at me once and the shot bounced. I stayed in that position when suddenly a Panther, a PzJg. IV, a Pz IV with L71 and two Pz III show up along that road.

I stayed in my 10:30 position and blasted away at the Panther. The Panther was in a 10 o'clock position and I hit it's side 4 times, all shots of all enemy tanks bounced. The panther retreated after being shot down to 25%, I switched targets and started shooting at the PzJg. IV, penetrating it's front hull twice and blowing it up. I then rolled forward a bit to engage the Pz. IV which had taken cover behind the dead PzJg. IV and penetrated it's turret twice, disabling it's gun in the process (didn't shoot anymore) and blowing it up.

I then took care of the remaining two Pz III's and rolled on to cap the enemy base where I found the 25% Panther. I penetrated it's turret once and it blew up. :D I was killed by an IS7 with the base being at 80% capped. :(

Awesome XP, awesome credits, awesome fun!

In total my tracks have been disabled 3 times, bounced around 15 rounds, and suffered 30Hp damage until my unhealthy encounter with the Is7. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Volodnikov, the T34 when equipped with the 57mm and a good crew is a pretty damn good tank for it's tier. Maybe not toe to toe with other fast mediums, but if you use it to support a heavy and get around the enemies flanks it is great.

The thing that is so great about it is that with the 57 you can penetrate most of the heavy tanks from the side and rear which will earn you massive XP and credits. While the T34 itself is only like 2.5k to repair, so you can afford to use it aggressively.

Upvote 0
Volodnikov, the T34 when equipped with the 57mm and a good crew is a pretty damn good tank for it's tier. Maybe not toe to toe with other fast mediums, but if you use it to support a heavy and get around the enemies flanks it is great.

The thing that is so great about it is that with the 57 you can penetrate most of the heavy tanks from the side and rear which will earn you massive XP and credits. While the T34 itself is only like 2.5k to repair, so you can afford to use it aggressively.

Yes, I'm currently using the 57mm gun. The tank is great when I get paired with tanks at least two tiers above me, but I often find myself in battles where I'm at the bottom of the list going against IS-4s and Tiger IIs. If I am able to penetrate those tanks at all, it's for very slight damage.

Edit: And Gautrek, the Americans may not have had the best tanks, but I like the simplicity of them. And I'm sure that they wouldn't put them in World of Tanks if they won't be balanced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0