• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Image] Screenshot & Movie Thread

Hehehhe....yeah I love that book. Wrong war though.

BTW don't forget that when speaking about "terrorists," there really is no such thing as a terrorist for terrorism's sake. Terrorism is a means of fighting an enemy, it is not an end.

French Marqui, Yugoslav partisans, Russian partisans, Greek partisans, Arab partisans, etc. were all terrorists, or more properly "Banditen" (not sure on spelling) to their German conquerors, where their own people and the Allies knew them as "freedom fighters" and "resistance." Criminals to the Germans, legitimate soldiers to the Allies.

Upvote 0
Anubis said:
The primary difference between a freedom fighter and a terrorist by definition, is that a freedom fighter attacks military targets, while a terrorist attacks civilian targets as well. There is a key difference.

By that, you would also define the conventional forces in WW2 as terrorist, as all parties deliberately attacked civilian targets to brake the enemies morale.

The only difference between terrorism an "freedom fighters" is the point of view.

Upvote 0
Situation on the Ostfront, Hearts of Iron 2.

I apologize for the horrendous quality in the following jpeg, bear with me:

23July1941.jpg

The attack achieved overwhelming success (as evidenced by the previous screen). The Soviet Western Front was significantly weakened, being forced in to encirclements at both Vyamza and Moscow. In the North, there was a good deal of opposition, Soviets were stronger than I was. Still...forced them in to an encirclement on the Estonia-USSR border. Operational success against Moscow was achieved by 28. August 1941, with engagements in Novgorod and Estonia lasting in to mid-September.

HOI2_SwastikaMod.jpg

Frontline has been relatively stable since. During winter neither side made many moves, although noting the weakened position of the Soviets in the south, I tried to take Stalingrad, just as winter set in and I was repulsed.

Upvote 0
So Manstein, how'd you pull that off? I see you've got other Axis nations in there, I never bother to assume military control...although Hungary + Romania would grant me +100 divisions.

I attempted something similar in my game...but too many of the bastards got out. I don't know how many were destroyed. The northern wing got bogged down because I kept pushing with the Panzers while the infantry was far behind.

I find it a little disheartening that you only have 268 industry by '42 :D

Still though...quite an amazing feat. How many divisions did the Russians have after that?

Upvote 0
Well the front wasn't moving much, my original intent was to crush the southern and northern fronts by pinning them against the coast, when I broke through at Melitopol, and started rolling up, I was noting how easy it was, so I punched through near Moscow and wheeled South, it took me the better part of a year to finally obliterate all the surrounded Russians tho, and ate up a ton of my manpower (have you ever had to fight 90 Russian divisions in a single territory? not pretty ;) ) but Russia had no striking power afterwards

I managed to pull off a bitter peace with Russia, and don't feel too bad about my industry, I still managed to conquer the UK, Ireland, Canada, Mexico, and the US later ;)

yeah as Germany I always assume military control of my allies, the AI can't use them for jack, at least I can get something out of them, even if they aren't entirely up to snuff

oh also, if you get the chance as Germany ALWAYS liberate Flanders, they pump out good infantry divisions like nobody's business :D (don't liberate Wallonia, waste of territory)

Upvote 0
I don't liberate nations since I don't want to deal with the 5% dissent that comes with it...

How large of a Luftwaffe did you have? CAS on Interdiction are incredibly useful against just about anything on the ground. For me, I've determined that air is the way to go, having observed the crushing superiority the Allies will gain over time. So, I laid out the goals of creating air superiority over Europe, and using that to whittle down the English...who were invaded, via air, in September 1940. That's where a lot of my industry comes from, jolly old England. And they were reduced to a base industry of 47, their airforce chopped down to 7, and later, to 4.

5 November 1940
5Nov1940LuftStats.jpg

I don't have screens of the '41 air power (too lazy to go in to the game), but I'm locked with the US in a struggle. Problem is, they have mostly bombers, and the Brits can't support them with fighters.

Okay, so I went and talked about my game. But what I mean is that with air power, you could probably have reduced those Russians much quicker, and if possible, say, reduce the pocket to the point where there are several interconnected pockets that make it up, set your CAS to interdiction and move in from as many sides as possible. If they all end up disorganized, by the time your troops actually take the land, they'll have the Russians captured.

I haven't, however, matched something of the magnitude you have. I have pushed far in to the Ukraine and then swung north, but by that time I'd take a good deal of Nordukraine, and was advancing on Moscow in the Central Army Group. However, only two Panzer divisions were there for it, and they just got bogged down. Panzergruppe Manstein (not you!) took Kharkov and sought to meet up with Model and Rundstedt at Klintsy, but these attacks were repulsed. Manstein was disorganized from being on a nonstop advance, Model possessed one Panzer division and the infantry, including Heeresgruppe A under FM Rundstedt, were lagging behind. The Soviets managed to slip through and reinforce for the coming Operation Typhoon, but several divisions stayed trapped in the pocket after Klintsy was taken. They were wiped out, and that put me in position for Unternehmen Typhoon...the thrust against Moscow and my last major offensive on the Eastern Front in 1941.

Upvote 0
for the most part, in that game I only really put effort into having a lot of interceptors, to keep the Brits/US from dominating me

I had several Tac bombers at the time of that, and I did use them, but with the sheer number of units I was dealing with, it made little difference

I don't use airpower too much in HoI2, besides defensively, I prefer to rely on Panzer and Mot Inf divisions equipped with SP arty to do my dirty work

and I did make several attempts to cut of sections of the pocket, but when you're attacking with say, a 9 division army, supported by 20 more, you can kick them out, but the Russians would just move like 40 divisions in the way, so I ended up having to deal with them en masse, still came out ahead tho, so I'm not upset :)

Upvote 0
Lots of interceptors is a good thing, except, I realized by 1940 that while I could (just barely) halt the British, once the Americans joined the war and transferred their aircraft to Britain, I'd be in serious trouble. That's why I invaded, to deny airspace over Europe to the Allies. I also managed to overrun the British airfields, taking with them over 25 air divisions from various allied nations. If you're going to focus on panzer/mot infantry, set a bit of the budget aside for CAS. They cost about 5-6IC, and are cheaper than a usual infantry division. Basic models aren't much, but once you hit the Improved, they really start to shine. 5 hard and 14 soft attack (I think, can't confirm.) They are still much more cost effective than tactical bombers, but those have the advantage of long range. Yet airbases on the map are spaced out in a manner that you can use your airpower at one to dominate the skies en route to the next. Seize the next airbase with motorized/armored troops, maybe capture some of their aircraft, and move yours up to further assist the advance. Combined arms, works like a charm.

I should most definitely start to rely on Motorized infantry more often though. One of my problems in Barbarossa was that the infantry just couldn't keep up. Some were still in Poland while Manstein crossed the Dneipr. Now I of course faced a dilemma that the Germans did, and that was, should the Panzers continue to advance or should the infantry be allowed to catch up before going on? I went with the former. Manstein's 3 Panzer divisions moved to encircle the Kirovy Rog - Dneprotovsk - Kherson pocket, and gain access to the Crimea. What bothered me though was that the Russians cut off my supplies by moving out of the Crimea and establishing supplies to the pocketed troops, while having Manstein with his back to the sea. I was thankful though, that I annexed Bulgaria during the winter of 1940, since I wanted to be able to project my growing Kriegsmarine in to the Black Sea. So I supplied Perekop and Manstein broke out, and so forth. But the Russians lost a good chunk of their armored and motorized forces in the pocket, and the Southern Front was virtually eliminated. That gave me the green light to consolidate my position in the Ukraine and move north in a wide encircling motion.

Ah, sorry for the longer posts, I just love talking about HOI2 campaigns.

I'm going to have to try seeing if I can pull off a Weltreich like you did though. With my production, the Kriegsmarine should be in firm control of the Atlantic by '43.

If I can ever get my multiplayer working, I'll have to play with you sometime:D. You'd probably kick my ass, being Manstein and all...

Upvote 0