• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ran out of virtual memory crash

SenorGuacamole

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 27, 2010
Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 3423 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (1119)

Ran out of virtual memory. To prevent this condition, you must free up more space on your primary hard disk.

History: FMallocWindows::Malloc <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 00000000 1048576 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 1048576*1 <- TArray<< <- TLazyArray::Load <- FStaticTexture::GetTextureData <- kf_fx_trip_t.Gore.kf_bloodspray_e_diff <- FD3D9Texture::Cache <- FD3D9RenderInterface::CacheTexture <- FD3D9RenderInterface::HandleCombinedMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetSimpleMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetMaterial <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Wyre Forest <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

So there's the error that came up. The issue being that I have 8 gigs of physical memory and 249 gb free on my hard drive. I've included my log file as well. Any ideas? This typically happens after a map change when I've been playing for 30-60 minutes. I've had it crash shortly after starting the map, in the lobby and several rounds into the map.

Attachments

• KillingFloor.log
    55.8 KB · Views: 0
I understand your situation, since I also have 8GB of ram on Windows 7 64bit.

If my C or hd with swap file has less than ~ 600 - 800 GB free, KF can crash... Even when I have forced the OS to use physical RAM for all executing code with a registry hack. I now keep the C drive with at least 1 GB free and so far, much more stable.

I think it is just KF or the engine it uses and runs out of ram at ~ 3.7-4 GB (32 bit program limit).

Best to just quit, and then restart to flush the ram. This happens very often on larger games with very large maps.

Upvote 0
I am experiencing the EXACT SAME error. My error message is the same as above and I have tried EVERYTHING I have ever known to do to repair my games including deleting the game and re-installing it. Nothing will work. I have updated BIOS, DirectX, GFX, and anything else that gets recommended for update. I just want to blow some heads off some freaks and watch blood splatter from their shoulders, man. What do I do OHH GURU OF WISDOM?

Upvote 0
I think I already listed the solution which was to free up 1 GB or more of free HD space so your OS will use it as swap space.

Another thing I noticed was that if I play on whitelisted servers with 6 or less players, I don't have any problems. Even if I switch from one server to the other.

If I play on those non-whitelisted custom mod servers with more than 6 players, then switch another one, my chances of crashing goes up.

It is because the game will use more memory due to more players, more guns and more zombies. Memory usage also goes up if the servers are using custom content since KF does not free up the memory once you goto another server. It just keeps all the content in RAM until you exit the game, and restart as someone else had mentioned. I think Marco or Gartley or Braindead notice this.

I believe it is a limitation of the game engine.

You can try also try turning down your graphics setting so the game won't use up as much memory. I turned my AA down and it actually made the game more stable on very large servers since it also lowered overall system memory usage. I know my video cards have enough ram even at max settings, but the game is 32 bit and can only address from 3.7-4.0 GB even if your system has more ram.

If there was a 64 bit exe, then maybe it would be more stable since the game can use as much as the 64 bit OS will allow:

Here are the upper RAM limits for the different 64 bit editions of Windows 7 per this article http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/max-memory-limits-for-64-bit-windows-7/4254

Starter: 8GB
Home Basic: 8GB
Home Premium: 16GB
Professional: 192GB
Enterprise: 192GB
Ultimate: 192GB

I'm on Windows 7 Pro but only 8 GB of ram. More than even for this game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0