• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor startup error! (just please look at this!!)

TigOlBittys

Dec 21, 2011
Hi everyone im new to these forums..obviously. i have surfed the forums somewhwat before i made this thread to see if i could find people with the same thing i just cant get a straight answer I have recently purchased my copy of KF off of steam, every time i launch it it freezes and i have to hit ctrl alt delete an open up my task manager to get back to windows it then prompts me with a critical error saying the following
" Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 3684 MHz with 4094MB RAM
Video: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (1107)

Error setting display mode: CreateDevice failed (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL). Please delete your KillingFloor.ini file if this error prevents you from starting the game.

History: UD3D9RenderDevice::UnSetRes <- CreateDevice <- UD3D9RenderDevice::SetRes <- HandleBigChange <- UD3D9RenderDevice::Lock <- UViewport::Lock <- UWindowsViewport::Lock <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

" i also have a second monitor ive read all sorts of differant threads tryed disabling my second monitor TRYED finding this KF.ini file it tells me to delete all i can find it a killingfloor.int or somthing like that, im not a pc wiz so any help would be really appreciated i didnt pay $20 for nothing i want to join in on the zombie bashing! step by step on what to do would be great if anyone could please help out thanks alot guys.

Well you haven't exactly said how far you get when it crashes. The usual crash with dual monitors is when it flickers when starting and then crashes. This can be solved by pressing alt and return together as soon as this starts happening to get the game into windowed mode, then going into the options and setting the correct screen size and then ticking fullscreen. If it is crashing at a different time and in a different way then you will have to explain further.

You can also try browsing to your Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor\system folder and deleting the killingfloor.ini file - it isn't the .int file, it may just be called killingfloor and have a cog on the icon, or if you have system files hidden, either unhide them, or delete the whole system directory. You might need to verify the game cache afterwards - right-click the game in Steam -> properties -> local files -> verify integrity of game cache.

Last edited:
Upvote 0