• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

critical error when starting up killing floor

restlessgamer75

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 2, 2011
hi everyone

today i bought killing floor of of steam
i downloaded the game but i get these 2 strange error messages when i try to start it :mad::mad::mad:

first one: runtime error
program: c/program files/steam/steamapps/common/system/killingfloor.exe

this application has requested the runtime to terminatre it in an unusual way.
please contact the application's support team for more information:eek:
Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]
CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 2660 MHz with 3956MB RAM
Video: No Video
General protection fault!
History: UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <- UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

seond one: is a critical error:

pls help i rlly want to play game this game i'm desperate

Last edited:
I have the exact same messages , have tried everything i can think of and to no avail can no longer play the game !

Every other game i have loads and plays fine settings up high as well including
Crysis , Cysis warhead and crysis 2 which are hogs on video.

have checked/verified files (and deleted system folder)
have reinstalled
have checked DirectX
have installed lastest video drivers
have done all windows updates

so whats the answer ?

Upvote 0
same problem

same problem

yea i have that same problem only this happened after i was just experimenting with my display settings and i changed my rendering settings to the software setting and now i cant get in to change the setting back i went on steam and did troubleshooting from the launch options it said to do -autoconfig so i did and started it and the error came up again i dont know what to do at this point i even uninstalled and reinstalled but with no luck please help.....?

Upvote 0
yea i have that same problem only this happened after i was just experimenting with my display settings and i changed my rendering settings to the software setting and now i cant get in to change the setting back i went on steam and did troubleshooting from the launch options it said to do -autoconfig so i did and started it and the error came up again i dont know what to do at this point i even uninstalled and reinstalled but with no luck please help.....?

haha same here
is a reinstall neccessary, or do i have set launch options?

Upvote 0
Guys, please recognize that all of these crash reports are different...for these guys, their crash was due to setting the game to use the Software Renderer, which gets you this crash:

Code:
Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]
CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 2660 MHz with 3956MB RAM
Video: No Video

History: UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <-  UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine  <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

This is the part that identifies which kind of crash this is:
Code:

History: UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <-  UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine  <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

This tells us that it was a generic crash("General protection fault!") that happened in UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice.

If the error you are seeing is not a "General protection fault!" or you do not see "UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice" in the error, then you have a different crash and need to create your own thread with the error message that you are seeing.

Upvote 0