• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Screen Freeze D:

elricbro3

Jan 6, 2011
I've notice alot of people with this problem, but evidently no one has found a fix for it yet.

Considering I paid for KF, and I've had to miss out almost entirely on the Twisted Christmas event because of this, I'm a little angry that TripWire isnt working on this.

Anyway, Killing Floor will randomly freeze for a few seconds whenever it feels like it.
It will do this at any time, whether in menus, or in game.
When it happens in game, the game continues to run while my screen is frozen.
Once my screen unfreezes, I am usually dead.

My CPU Usage does not spike during this time, nor does my RAM usage.
Before anyone says it, I am not using any kind of AV or Firewall, and have disabled nearly everything trying to fix this, including SearchIndexer and other programs that could have any potential of trying to interfere.

My Specs Are:

AMD Phenom4 2.33 GhZ Quad Core
6 GB RAM
Vista 64-Bit
NVIDIA GTS-450
750 GB HDD (roughly 200 GB Free)

This never used to happen, up until a few updates ago.
With the update that came right before Twisted Christmas, this stopped happening.
Once Twisted Christmas was released, it started happening again.

Please help, I don't know why this hasn't been fixed yet and I want to gib some zeds again.

Am I the only person who has this problem who has a lower-end computer, or just the only one who doesn't blame the problem on inferior hardware? (EDIT2: Incidentally it's very much not a mere performance issue - if I don't touch caching and just lower display settings, the freeze is still there and I just get a better framerate outside of them.)

I've had the game since August and it's always happened (though it got better after Twisted Christmas ended).

I make a motion that, because of the beautiful succinctness of its title, that this thread be stickied and made the official thread for discussing this problem. EDIT: Nevermind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know this isn't based on anyone's hardware.
I had this problem before when I was running on an ATI Radeon 3200, and now I'm running an NVIDIA GTS-450 (runs Crysis on max settings, woo)

I've cranked settings all the way up, and all the way down, with no change.

This problem showed its ugly head very obviously following certain updates.
It was working fine, then once I updated for Twisted Christmas, it started freezing again.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

Upvote 0
Some options that seem to help:

- setting every single thing that says anything about precaching to say that it won't precache (eg "bNeverPrecache" to True, "UsePrecaching" to False)
- setting "DetectedVideoMemory" higher (or at least having it reflect actual video memory)
- setting "NVidiaPreFX" to True
- setting "CheckForOverflow" to True

Still got them but they're not quite as bad.

Upvote 0
Apparently not, since you've suggested something that will give most people hitching.
You are a twit if you think that.

Jesus Christ, I've done almost nothing but gripe about this one bug on this forum the past two weeks. If you really think I'm talking out of my *** just get the hell off this thread unless you've got something useful to contribute.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As an example of what could've been useful:

Precaching loads game data into memory ahead of time. This prevents hiccups as things don't have to be loaded dynamically. Without it, you might notice some hiccups as things get loaded from time to time.

However, KF eats a ****ton of RAM, and if too much gets loaded ahead of time things just end up in the pagefile and it's scarcely better there (possibly worse depending on just what your drive looks like) than if you just loaded it from where the original data was on the drive. This is what I think might be happening to my computer, because when I turn on the precache options I get very long initial load times, followed by very long hitches during play. With precaching off, the hitches are no less frequent (they may be slightly more frequent), but never does it last so long that I'm walking down an empty hallway one frame and nibbled to death by clots and crawlers - on Normal, as a high-level berserker - the next.

Now what I've said might not actually be what's going on, given that other people with this problem have clearly far more than my 1G. It is my best guess at what's going on, however, and previous searches for other problems I'm having with the game suggest that KF (and the UT2k4 engine in general) has had a bit of a history with strange memory management problems on some machines.

When I posted my list, I said "some options that seem to help". Obviously I can't speak for every goddamn computer on the planet that's ever had this problem and given the length of the list that was obviously not my intent. This was what I've tried, and what I believe has helped, because I'm no longer missing wave one and dying on waves two and seven thanks to the dreaded Medusa Husk and his buddy Basilisk Pound.

So think for a moment before you waltz into a thread and tell people what they've worked out themselves is backwards without any context.

Upvote 0
I appreciate those suggestions, but unfortunately I have already tried all of those, and to no avail.

I don't think it has anything to do with the game loading files, because for me, unlike other people, it doesn't happen when a certain specimen spawns or anything. It happens just randomly.

It ALWAYS happens when I first start the game, so either at the TripWire Interactive screen or once the main menu loads. Then it will do it again after awhile, regardless of if I just stay at the main menu, or go try to find online games.

Same way in-game, it just does it whenever.

I think it has something to do with a conflict between something added in the new updates, and my system, but I haven't the foggiest what.

And guys, please don't fight about this issue, alot of people just want it resolved, myself included.

Upvote 0
I appreciate those suggestions, but unfortunately I have already tried all of those, and to no avail.

I don't think it has anything to do with the game loading files, because for me, unlike other people, it doesn't happen when a certain specimen spawns or anything. It happens just randomly.

It ALWAYS happens when I first start the game, so either at the TripWire Interactive screen or once the main menu loads. Then it will do it again after awhile, regardless of if I just stay at the main menu, or go try to find online games.

Same way in-game, it just does it whenever.

I think it has something to do with a conflict between something added in the new updates, and my system, but I haven't the foggiest what.

And guys, please don't fight about this issue, alot of people just want it resolved, myself included.

The same problem here ia have posted weeks ago no answers still, random freezes then resume, its annoying you know because its always "defreeze" dead.

Upvote 0
i have the same issue but a bit different,
ok, so i play the game on all high/highest settings, it was working perfectly,
but after the Christmas event ended i get those "hitching" and they last about
1-2 seconds, well ... you think it not that bad ... but it is

i personally dont die from it, cuz i use teamspeak and level 6 medic
but still after the event ended, this issue is began

ok, so i need to format anyway, maybe it will go away ? Nope!
lets download and install new video drivers? Nope!
lets annoy tripwire then? yes :D

so my guess, its a killing floor issue, not a hardware issue
and as the same as others, CPU and RAM are fine

Upvote 0
I have discovered what may be the cause of it - my wireless router. Disabling my wireless adapter allows KF to run without a hitch.

However....this also prevents me from playing online or getting my stats.

Which blows.

So whats going on?

I have a WRT54GS Linksys Router with a Marvell Yukon 88E8071 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller as my Wireless Adapter.

Upvote 0