• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Reset settings outside of the game

lord_dekkar

May 12, 2010
Hey all, I just hooked up my new video card earlier and while I was testing it out I think I set the video settings for killing floor too high and it won't even load any more. I keep getting the following message:

Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2712 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: No Video

General protection fault!

History: UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <- UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

~~

I never got this message until I changed the settings after installing my video card, and other things that wouldn't run without the video card all work fine, so I think I messed something up in the game. I already tried removing the game and reloading it, but that didn't change anything. Help!!! Killing floor is one of the reasons I got a new video card in the first place, and now I can't even open the game!

Thanks for any help :)

Hey all, I just hooked up my new video card earlier and while I was testing it out I think I set the video settings for killing floor too high and it won't even load any more. I keep getting the following message:

Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2712 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: No Video

General protection fault!

History: UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <- UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

~~

I never got this message until I changed the settings after installing my video card, and other things that wouldn't run without the video card all work fine, so I think I messed something up in the game. I already tried removing the game and reloading it, but that didn't change anything. Help!!! Killing floor is one of the reasons I got a new video card in the first place, and now I can't even open the game!

Thanks for any help :)

go to your steam/steamapps/common/Killing Floor/System folder and search for KillingFloor.ini , open it and find this line,

[Engine.Engine]
RenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice

(you can copy and paste this and save the ini).

OR find your default.ini located in the same folder, copy and paste it to your desktop and rename it to KillingFloor.ini ! Copy and paste it afterwards back into the System folder.

Upvote 0
OR find your default.ini located in the same folder, copy and paste it to your desktop and rename it to KillingFloor.ini ! Copy and paste it afterwards back into the System folder.
Just delete KillingFloor.ini and start the game.
The game will create a new one with default settings from the default.ini automatically.

In the error message it says "No Video". It's not unheard of that it says this even though it works fine and uses the card like it should but in as it obviously doesn't work here it could be serious. The game might still try to use your old card.
Maybe deleting the KillingFloor.ini is going to fix this (I highly doubt the settings were set too high for your new card. Even if it couldn't run the game properly on higher detail settings it should at least start and run slow then!), but if it doesn't make sure you installed the drivers for the new card correctly and got rid of the drivers for your old card completely!

If you don't know how, download DriverCleaner and follow the instructions it comes with to get rid of both your old and your new driver and then install the new one again.

That other games work is no indication we can go by in this case, because other games might just pick the new card correctly while KF is alone in trying to use the old one.

Upvote 0
No, I don't think so. Leave the motherboard drivers alone if they work. If your old card was only onboard I think I was wrong with my guess as to what the problem was. I assumed you changed from one graphics card to another.

Unless... when I installed a soundcard I had to deactivate the onboard soundcard in the BIOS. Could be the same for your onboard graphics card, but I don't know. Worth taking a look if you feel comfortable in your BIOS, but on my computers I never had to do it for graphics card. Only soundcards.

May I ask what your new graphics card is and what drivers you used for it?

Upvote 0