• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

IDirect3DVertexBuffer9 lock failed

Coatsy

Dec 26, 2009
Hi,

I have recently bought both killing floor and red orchestra and am continually getting crashes mid-game with the same identical crash -

IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::Lock failed(88760870).

I have not had trouble with any other games with the driver setup etc.

In killing floor the crash more often than not appears during the trader time mid-round, but has occured at other times.

Does anyone have an idea for a solution?

Crash message:-
Spoiler!

killingfloor.log

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Hi.
I'm getting the same error message.

Accompanied by the "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Vista error message.

The game is unplayable on my system for longer than about 1-5 minutes, I've never been able to play it.

I searched for "lock failed" and this was the only relevant thread.

Upvote 0
Okay, the .ini file tweak seems to have worked.

Mods, it would be a great help if you could include the terms

and

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

In the stickied How to change to Direct X 8 mode by ini file thread, to help ease the search process for users with the same problem.

Tah.

Upvote 0
The DX8 rendering seems to be working, however I often get a black screen - a wddm tdr issue.
KF no longer ctd's with a crash info pop-up, now I just get these black screen timeouts.
Sounds continue playing while the screen is blacked out.
The black screen usually lasts about 5 seconds or more.
Then the graphics are displayed again.

When I exit the game, I get the "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." in my windows log.

I run Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
My drivers and DX files are all up to date. Drivers are the latest nVidia drivers, DX recently updated, as of a few days ago.
My hardware is fine.
Running one monitor.

It's obviously a wddm tdr issue.
Why?
Any leads?

Upvote 0
I changed to direct x 8, the same as the previous poster, and am also getting the exact same error.

Killing floor goes black instead of crashing, for about 5 seconds. This seems to be occuring with the same frequency as the original crash. Furthermore the game appears to run choppy before the crash - player movement seems jerky, with slight rubber-banding.

All my drivers + direct x are up to date, and the steam overlay was always disabled. I only have 1 monitor. Hardware is only 2 months old, and working perfectly in every other capacity. The computer/card is not overheating.

I am running Windows 7 x64, rather than vista which the previous poster had. However the error appears to be identical in both OS's.

The 5 second pauses are enough to get me killed in nearly every situation, so the game is still almost unplayable.

Upvote 0
Try uninstalling all the Nvidia drivers, and especially C C C (catlyst control centre)
Re-install the driver only, do not re-install CCC (unless you really need it)
Worked for me with Windows 7 64bit, crashes stopped immediately.

CCC is for ATi, so I'm guessing you mean Nvidia Control Panel- which is a really useful tool. There should be no reason whatsoever not to install it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Originally Posted by Zetsumei
Try disabling motion blur.

Motion blur was already disabled

Originally Posted by Major_Day
Try uninstalling all the Nvidia drivers, and especially C C C (catlyst control centre)
Re-install the driver only, do not re-install CCC (unless you really need it)
Worked for me with Windows 7 64bit, crashes stopped immediately.

Could you clarify if you did this with an ATI or Nvidia card? I have heard of CCC for ati causing problems, but not the Nvidia control centre. Removing the main controls for the card is a pretty drastic step when everything else is working.

Upvote 0
Open GL appears to be completely broken. After i get hit for the first time, the entire world turns white, and i can only see the player model + hud, and slashes which still appear on the screen when i get hit.

This most definately is not a solution.

Does anyone know how to contact tripwire directly for support information?

This problem seems beyond the basic fixes/bypasses that can be supplied easily by the community, and i think should be addressed by tripwire.

Upvote 0
You could PM a dev such as [TW]Xienen, although he's already voiced his opinion. As I said in another thread, which wgnsbs123 started about the same issue, it's very difficult to diagnose, especially at distance, if you think that the most obvious candidate of overheating isn't the issue. The 5 second pause in DX8 mode is the display driver crashing, and being restarted by Windows.

Try downloading and running 3DMark06 and see if all the tests complete, as that will stress your graphics card a decent amount.

Upvote 0
I ran 3DMark06 after my computer had been running for 8 hours, and with an ambient room temp of 38 deg C - to stress the comp as much as possible.

All the tests ran perfectly with no problems, no crashes etc, giving high fps rates for the graphics tests.

the scores from 3dMark were:-

3Dmark score - 16354
SM 2.0 score - 6866
SM 3.0 score - 7452
CPU score - 4393

In conclusion, it is not an overheating issue.

It is a specific application error with both Killing Floor, and Red Orchestra, sending bad information to the display driver causing it to crash and/or reset.

In killing floor, as for me the crash occurs in or just after the trader section, i would sumise that it is a problem with one of the weapons which are only bought midgame.

Upvote 0
When i checked, motion blur was still disabled from when you sugested it before.

In the biotics lab map which i tried to check, half the terrain textures (floor + walls) were flat white, and when i was hit for the first time the entire screen again went white, but this time the entire game then hardlocked after 2 seconds.

OpenGL appears to be completely broken.

Upvote 0
In killing floor, as for me the crash occurs in or just after the trader section, i would sumise that it is a problem with one of the weapons which are only bought midgame.

That sounds like bad data being loaded into the game to me, as there are thousands of players out there at any given time who are not having this issue. Have you tried a reinstall and/or changing your Steam Download Region?

Upvote 0
[TW]Xienen,

I have been trying to avoid redownloading the entire game, as i am from Australia and bandwidth is quite expensive (makes up approx 1/3 to half the real cost of buying a game online).

However, i have verified the files and they are suposedly okay.

Also, i made a steam backup of my copy to give to a friend who purchased the game a week after me. The steam backup installed fine on his computer, and he is not getting the same crash/problems - which implies that the data is not corrupted.

If based on this however, you still think a redownload will most likely fix the problem, i will (with extreme reluctance) redownload the entire game as you suggest - let me know if i should still bother to redownload it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If your friend did not have issues with it, more than likely it's not a data issue, so I wouldn't want to waste your money on bandwidth just to have the game still broken. Unfortunately, short of downloading that, I don't have any more suggestions. This has always been found to be overheating, drivers, or faulty data, but perhaps it's something else in this case?

Upvote 0