Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

WIP Forum Upgrade

Please pardon our mess as we continue to iterate on the forum style, css and images. If you have any suggestions be sure to let us know in the off topic part of the forum!
2 of 2 < >

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

Fix for BT HomeHub / Thomson / BeBox etc routers disconnecting - walking into walls

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix for BT HomeHub / Thomson / BeBox etc routers disconnecting - walking into walls

EDIT: Since a Steam update it seems this does not work any more. Use one of the workarounds listed below:
    • connect to a game and when it disconnects you open the console with the ` or ' key and type reconnect (you may have to do this twice)
    • wait longer than 1 minute after refreshing the server list to join the game
    • add servers to your favourites and instead of using the Ranked / Unranked options, click favourites and connect from there - note that you will probably have to wait a minute before joining these anyway
    • join on friends through Steam
    • use the Steam server browser from outside of the game to connect
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is for those whose game has specimens walking into walls within 60 seconds of joining a server who have one of the routers mentioned or any router which is a rebranded Thomson. This is caused by a defective network rule on the router.

NEW FILE FIX - Download the MasterServer2.zip file attached at the bottom of this post, and follow the instructions below OR download the file and follow the instructions on the newly-updated Steam support page: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...1452-HCVB-6984

Anyone experiencing the issue(s) above with these routers who is unable to, or doesn't want to, delete the rule from the router (instructions here), should:
    • download the attached zip file
    • extract the contained "MasterServer2.vdf" file into the "config" directory in their Steam folder, by default usually found at "C:\Program Files\Steam", over-writing the one that is there
    • mark the file read-only (IMPORTANT!) by right-clicking on it, selecting "Properties", and ticking the "Read-only" box and clicking OK
    After following these steps, you should be able to play without any issues on KF (and RO:O) servers, and if you had these problems on any other Steam games such as TF2, you might find that this fixes those as well.

If this does not work for you, then you can try the following options: try forwarding your ports listed in a sticky (works for a few people), try the telnet fix (works 100% IF your router allows telnet access and you are able to log in to it), or use a workaround such as one of the following:
    • connect to a game and when it disconnects you (you see specimens walking into walls) open the console with the ` or ' key and type reconnect (you'll have to do this twice)
    • wait longer than 1 minute after refreshing the server list to join the game
    • add servers to your favourites and instead of clicking on internet, click favourites and connect from there

For those who can't download the fix from here, open up the MasterServer2.vdf file (found in your Steam\config directory) in notepad and copy and paste the following in, replacing the contents.
    Code:
    "MasterServers"
    {
        "hl1"
        {
            "0"
            {
                "addr"        "69.28.151.162:27013"
            }
        }
        "hl2"
        {
            "0"
            {
                "addr"        "72.165.61.153:27015"
            }
        }
        "rdkf"
        {
            "0"
            {
                "addr"        "68.142.72.250:27012"
            }
        }
        "gms"
        {
        }
    }
    Save it and make sure you make it read-only, as above.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Morello; 12-08-2011, 08:05 PM.

I can confirm with works perfectly for me.
    Windows XP 32bit and Vista 32 with my BT home hub V2.0.
    Thanks alot for this fix, now I can play the game.

Comment

I have been wondering when this would come along, mainly because this is the only game that caused it so there had to be a work around some way. But I still thank you for being the one who implemented it. You have given me my game back and taken away my fear of the server browser. Thank you

PS works in Windows 7

Comment

Does not work for me on the other hand
        [COLOR=Red]Bloody[/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]screen[/COLOR]. [B]So[/B] [I]real.[/I]

Comment

Did you set it to read only?

Comment

The MasterServer.zip-trick works partly for me.
            It works until i disconnect from the server, when i join a new server it loses connection after 30 seconds... Then i can go copy the file again, put it in config etc. and then i have another try...

The other solution run-cmd-trick, cant make that work either, but im not a computerexpert so i dont want to mess my machine.

Comment

I did set the file as read only.
              Annoyingly it then worked but the next time my computer booted up it didn't work again.
              hasn't worked since.

Comment

The only thing I can think of is that if you are sure that you have set the file to read-only once copying it over the old one, Steam is somehow bypassing it and over-writing it. You could try opening the files in notepad and checking if they are the same or not. What the file does is simply change the master server query to different ports so that it doesn't use the two that cause the problems.

Comment

If read-only doens't work a possible fix would be to change the securities on the file(if in Vista or Win 7) and disabling write access for all accounts+admin. I know that setting has stopped programs from changing files before so it might just help this.

Comment

What exactly is the problematic rule in the default Thompson config responsible for this?

As a Bebox user running a custom config I've not had these issues.

We could advise people how to fix their router config directly and notify the ISPs since this sounds like a more general router problem.

Comment

Tripwire has contacted the router manufacturers and Morello has posted ways for people to telnet into their router to delete the rule. The router manufacturers don't seem to care much, they think it's an issue that Tripwire needs to resolve. Only some of the effected routers allow people to telnet in, most do not have this low level access any longer, which means there's no way to delete this hidden rule.

Valve has been kind enough to supply us with this file for us to distribute as a quick fix. This satisfies the lazy router manufacturers and circumvents this ridiculous rule that exists in a number of routers from these manufacturers.

This has been a thorn in our side since the release of Killing Floor and we're just happy to have a working solution, even if we'd prefer a more permanent solution.

I developed Break Blocks, a Charitable Indie Game, Check It Out! Also available on iPhone/iPad/iTouch!

Comment

Couldn't this file be included in the official release of KF on steam, so you don't have to download the file.
                        That is, if it isn't already.

Comment

Tbh these boxes are undocumented plastic PoS - just getting them to do proper Full Cone NAT (for hosting UE3 based games) involved so much messing about with debug commands and beta firmware (nearly bricking it in the process) that I've resorted to using mine as a glorified modem instead and would recommend that (ethernet bridging) as the only sure-fire way to entirely resolve the myriad of subtle issues they entail.

And by bypassing the devices' crappy routing tables and whatnot you can shave a good 10ms off your ping too.

Comment

Just tested this and it works like a charm. Cheers Tripwire.

Comment

Works!

Thank you! It works fine now

Playing on XP

Comment

Working...
                              X