• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fix for BT HomeHub / Thomson / BeBox etc routers disconnecting - walking into walls

ok, whenever I try the telnet speeedtouch thing, It ends up saying 'could not open connection to the host on port 23: connect failed.' this happens when I use the one with the numbers as well. I've lookeda microsoft support but it doesnt help, please someone help!
Either the router doesn't allow telnet access, or your router is on a different IP address / has a different name. If you open up a command prompt (start -> run or search -> type in "cmd" without the quotes and press return) and type ipconfig and hit return it should list your network cards and hopefully tell you what your router's IP address is - it will be under default gateway. Alternatively find it out through the network devices part of Windows. It will be something like 192.168.0.1 - so if it was, you would put in "telnet 192.168.0.1" (without quotes) and hopefully that would connect.

If the firmware has it disabled then you won't be able to use the telnet fix, without flashing the firmware to a version that allows it, which is not for the faint-hearted.

Upvote 0
Right, let me run you through this again. You need to run Telnet, connect to the IP address of the router, login to the router when it asks you for a username and a password, and then type in the command I gave you last (connection unbind application=GAME(UDP) port=27010-27011) to remove the rule that needs to go. I can't remember what verification, if any, you get when you type in the command, it might just give you another prompt as you have had happen. Type saveall to save the new setting, and that should be that. To see the list of ports, type connection bindlist, or if that fails put a : in front of it, as before, and if that fails, type connection and press return, and then type bindlist and press return. It should show you all the rules that are in the router, and if you've removed the offending one, you shouldn't see a UDP 27010-27011 entry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello people,

I am having the same issue with a Thomson 780. Tried the masterserver file but that did not work. When I'm trying to login on my router via telnet, it says I'm not allowed to login. Blame the ISP (going to another one soon anyways, this one is the worst ever), or is there something else I can try?

I had this problem with TF2 too (for about 4 days now), and I tried about everything there is to find on the net about it, exept for that router rule :/

Thanks in advance,
Zandkip

Upvote 0
Hello people,

I am having the same issue with a Thomson 780. Tried the masterserver file but that did not work. When I'm trying to login on my router via telnet, it says I'm not allowed to login. Blame the ISP (going to another one soon anyways, this one is the worst ever), or is there something else I can try?

I had this problem with TF2 too (for about 4 days now), and I tried about everything there is to find on the net about it, exept for that router rule :/

Thanks in advance,
Zandkip
Do you get as far as the username and password part or does it say connection refused / a similar message? If you get to the username and password then you might be using the wrong one. Apparently for the 780 the default username is Administrator and the password is blank. If it is an ISP-branded / flashed one then they might have disabled telnet.

Aside from blocking the destination UDP ports 27010-11, if that is even possible without (or with) telnet access, I'm not sure what else you can do. I've just re-tested the file replacement fix, and it looks like Steam defaults to one of the troublesome ports after a few seconds for some reason, so unless someone can bend Valve's ear we're not going to have any further luck with that.

Upvote 0
Do you get as far as the username and password part or does it say connection refused / a similar message? If you get to the username and password then you might be using the wrong one. Apparently for the 780 the default username is Administrator and the password is blank. If it is an ISP-branded / flashed one then they might have disabled telnet.

Aside from blocking the destination UDP ports 27010-11, if that is even possible without (or with) telnet access, I'm not sure what else you can do. I've just re-tested the file replacement fix, and it looks like Steam defaults to one of the troublesome ports after a few seconds for some reason, so unless someone can bend Valve's ear we're not going to have any further luck with that.

I've tried to login with the default and I got: "Invalid username/password"
I've tried to login with the user I found on the web based router configuration and I got: "Login not allowed (user '...' is disallowed to login from lan to telnet)
The username in the last one is the same as the name of my ISP, so it's probably blocked.

But you say if I block the UDP ports 27010-11 it will probably work?

If not I geuss its calling the ISP to ask if they know and we'll probably go to another ISP with another router. Still its pretty sad that it wont work propery :/. But thanks for the help and the effort to look into it.

Upvote 0
Zandkip, if you can find the superuser username and password then you might be able to do it - if telnet access was disabled then you wouldn't even get that far. For example, for the o2 box which is a rebranded Thomson 780 you can telnet in with the username SuperUser and the password O2Br0ad64nd. Put your ISP's name, the router name and Telnet into Google and you might well find the username and password you need.

The default username does have an upper-case A in Administrator.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've googled the options of how I can get the telnet to work, but it seems my ISP blocked out just about everything and they wont give away passwords of the superuser. So its on to another ISP in a month with another router, better support and non-crappy internet.

EDIT: I did a sofware reset and a hardware reset of the router, then opened up some ports and I could play KF and TF2 online without disconnects. 3 hours later the problem started again :/

Last edited:
Upvote 0