Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

To decrease loadtimes, turn off precaching and change game cache size

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reporting Back

Changing Map Loading Times (Online Gaming) & Note about General Performance during the Game

I have to Say that before i changed anything with PreCaches, CacheSizeMegs, and "Reduce Mouse Lag", also Defragment my Drive (Hard Disk), i had to wait like 2 minutes in average.
    So thanks for this thread and all its support by any posts.

I decided to test the configuration with Precaching in the Option 2 given by “Zetsumei”, as “Them” said to test different settings. So remember this is with my own computer, which in this case is a laptop. So the configuration might be different for others.
    My System Details:
    Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3200 2 GHz
    RAM: 3 GB
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9200 GE
    Sound Card: Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221

(Does 400MHz in the processor make a difference, for the recommended specs?)

Anyway, I decided trying to help with some tests, as also, seeing what is the best configuration for me. I hope this info will be helpful for anyone having the same issues with loading maps, and it’s bothered/annoyed since they even have the recommended System Specifications.
    Lastly I hope that this will help Tripwire to figure out what it causes, and what can be changed, so we won’t have these troubles with manually configuring.

Before I done this PreCache, CacheSizeMegs, "Reduce Mouse Lag", and Deframentation changes i had my Game Details at Low running in 800x600 windowed mode (remember that I had 2 minutes in average to load), and this tests were made after the Deframentation with: Game Details at High in 800x600 windowed mode.

-The experiences consists in changing the Precache settings as for each experience is told, with 6 times counting (in seconds) changing map in online servers, ALWAYS lower than 80 ping (the best i can get is a 30/40 ping server). With only me in the game (blowing myself or letting get eaten by the monsters) so it would be much faster.
    Note: I close the game every time and then change the Precache settings before the next experience.
    Last edited by Joseph; 01-17-2010, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Reporting Back (2)

Experience 1 ("Default")

Game Details=High
      Resolution=800x600
      Windowed mode
      With Defragmentation done
      CacheSizeMegs=32
      Reduce Mouse Lag = On
      All Precache Settings=True (Except bNeverPrecache=false)

In Seconds
      1-12,5
      2-12,5
      3-18,3 (freeze by 1 second)
      4-14,4
      5-26,4 (freeze by 3 seconds)
      6-12,1
      Average=16,03

General Performance in-game Note:
      No in-game lag spikes. No Crashing. Freezing at 3 and 5 attempt. Runs good.

By this one I would conclude now that the defragmentation did a lot of difference in the loading. It’s quiet normal that this would happen tough.
      (Imagining a room and the stuff inside it, if you have your room cleaned and organized, you’ll find the stuff you need more quicker then with it as my room usually looks like: a mess! Lol. Same as the Hard Disk would be the room, the stuff would be the KF files, and you the processor.)

The files from time to time get “lost” in the drive, and so, when the processor tries to read the files it needs, it takes more time then if the files are all in their places.

The rest of the experiences were with:
      Game Details=High
      Resolution=800x600
      Windowed mode
      With Defragmentation done
      CacheSizeMegs=256
      Reduce Mouse Lagging = Off

Experience 2
      -"UsePrecaching=True" to False, the "bNeverPrecache=false" to true and "UsePreCache=True" to False.
      As the Option 2 says.

1 - 18,7
      2 - 11,2
      3 - 8,5
      4 - 12,0
      5 - 10,9
      6 - 9,7
      Average=11,83

Some lag spikes during the game. No crashing or freezing. Runs ok.

Experience 3
      -"bNeverPrecache=false" to true and "UsePreCache=True" to False.
      Leaving the "UsePrecaching=True".

1-11,4
      2-13,7
      3-33,7
      4-28,5
      5-17,7
      6-23,4
      Average=21,4

No in-game lag spikes. No crashing or freezing. Runs great.

Experience 4
      -"UsePrecaching=True" to False and "UsePreCache=True" to False.
      Leaving the "bNeverPrecache=false".

1-8
      2-12,9
      3-9,8
      4-10,7
      5-11,1
      6-10,8
      Average=10,55

In-game lag spikes, during the game. No Crashing. No Freezing. Runs ok.

Experience 5
      -"UsePrecaching=True" to False and "bNeverPrecache=false" to true.
      Leaving the "UsePreCache=True".

1-9,1
      2-11,8
      3-8,1
      4-9,9
      5-9,3
      6-11,9
      Average=10,01

No in-game spike lags. No crashing. No freezing. Runs good.

Experience 6
      -"bNeverPrecache=false" to true.
      Leaving the "UsePrecaching=True" and "UsePreCache=True".

1-17,8
      2-13,2
      3-25,0
      4-18,4
      5-15,6
      6-19,9
      Average=18,32

No in-game lag spikes. No crashing. Freezing a bit in the 3 attempt. Runs good.

Experience 7
      -"UsePrecaching=True" to False.
      Leaving the "UsePreCache=True" and "bNeverPrecache=false".

1-8,9
      2-10,7
      3-12,7
      4-11,2
      5-25,0 (Not Responding for about 5 seconds)
      6-14,1
      7-11,1
      Average=13,38

Lag spikes at the beginning and during the game. No crashing. Freezing at the 5 attempt and 2 times during the game. Runs ok.

Experience 8
      -"UsePreCache=True" to False.
      Leaving the "bNeverPrecache=false" and "UsePrecaching=True".

1-12,1
      2-12,5
      3-12,1
      4-39,9 (weird..)
      5-26,4
      6-10,8
      7-8,2
      8-10,5
      Extended this one because of that 39,9 witch was weird since the 7 and 8 were a 8 and a 10.
      Average=16,56

No in-game lag spikes. No crashing. Freezing a bit in the 4, and 5 attempts. Runs ok, but i think not 100% smooth.

Conclusions:

Best Average Time Loading: Experience 5
      Best In-Game evaluation: Experience 3

Best 3 Average Time Loading (Best to Worse): 5, 4, 2.
      Best 3 In-Game Evaluation (Best to Worse): 3, 5, 6.

I guess I will use the settings for the fifth or third experiences. Even though the loading time wasn’t so good in the third experiment (21,4), I had a great in-game experience. Still, the best in general performance was the Fifth Experiment.

So it’s done.
      Now I would be appreciated to know, opinions, ideas, self-experiences.
      Was this worth for anything?
      Were the conditions good enough?
      What suits best for you? Telling what Specs you have. (in a quick view without all the details)
      Am I wrong in something I said?

Thanks for your time reading this huge post.
      Hope it helps somehow…
      Last edited by Joseph; 01-17-2010, 08:28 PM.

Comment

It got to be usefull to atleast some others, so thank you for that contribution ^^. Ill make defragmentation a bit of a clearer option in my first post as well.
        Last edited by Zetsumei; 01-17-2010, 08:20 PM.

Comment

A thread that might help too:
          http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...ad.php?t=40370

Comment

Hm here's a problem.

Option2: Turn of PreCaching
            1) Find your KillingFloor.ini file located in the steam/steamapps/common/KillingFLoor/system folder (hint it looks like a notpad icon with a cog)
            2) Change the values listed below:

under [ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
            Change UsePrecache=True to UsePrecache=False

and under [Engine.LevelInfo]
            Change bNeverPrecache=false to bNeverPrecache=true

and under [Engine.NullRenderDevice]
            Change UsePrecaching=True to UsePrecaching=False

and under [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]

and under [D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]

and under [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]

and under [PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice]
            This entries don't exist in my .ini file!
            (ALAudio exists)
            May someone upload his .ini file using a win7 64 bit system?
            Last edited by Skalli; 05-11-2010, 01:06 PM.
            Don't tell me how to use a flamethrower. Ever.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/DBADHGZ.png[/IMG]

Comment

Options 2 and 3 helped me and four other friends go from 5 minute load times to instant. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Skalli View Post
                Hm here's a problem.

This entries don't exist in my .ini file!
                (ALAudio exists)
                May someone upload his .ini file using a win7 64 bit system?
                You are probably looking at the user.ini and not the killingfloor.ini

Comment

Can I ask that this thread be retitled to make it clearer that its content addresses both long load times and ingame temporary freezes?

EDIT:
                  Originally posted by Vaecrius View Post
                  Some options that seem to help:

- setting every single thing that says anything about precaching to say that it won't precache (eg "bNeverPrecache" to True, "UsePrecaching" to False)
                  - setting "DetectedVideoMemory" higher (or at least having it reflect actual video memory)
                  - setting "NVidiaPreFX" to True
                  - setting "CheckForOverflow" to True

Still got them but they're not quite as bad.
                  Last edited by Vaecrius; 01-09-2011, 05:55 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zetsumei View Post
                    Note: Turning off precaching can give you a lot of benefits in loading time and in performance, as it means the game only loads things when it needs them. It also means that you must have a properly defragmented harddisc or otherwise you could get big freezes once the first specimen dies or spawns for example, as that would be the moment when they would be loaded.
                    Am I right in saying that turning off precaching would only give, potentially, better performance if your PC has a low amount of RAM installed? Wouldn't it actually cause worse performance on a system with a large amount of RAM installed? (4GB+).

Why would it ever result in a higher performance on a high-end-ish system?
                    Last edited by Proxyhat; 08-22-2012, 06:44 PM.

Comment

The first link you posted (http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...ad.php?t=38803) is now broken.

Comment

Working...
                      X