Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

To decrease loadtimes, turn off precaching and change game cache size

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To decrease loadtimes, turn off precaching and change game cache size

Disclaimer: all of these are suggestions that shouldn't cause any harm to your computer. However everything stated in here is at your own risk and I will not take responsibility when anything goes wrong.

First try out things in these 2 threads:
    The tweaks in this thread can help the game run better for systems that either experience jerky split second freezes or extreme long load times. Option 1 can always be good to make use of, Option 2 goes together with a possible tradeoff but can gain the biggest benefits. Option 3 is always safe to do.

Note: Turning off precaching can give you a lot of benefits in loading time and in performance, as it means the game only loads things when it needs them. It also means that you must have a properly defragmented harddisc or otherwise you could get big freezes once the first specimen dies or spawns for example, as that would be the moment when they would be loaded.

Note: For general better performance on pc's make sure that in the KF setting menu "Reduce Mouselag" is turned off as it costs a lot of cpu cycles (its a feature to reduce the mouse lag when vsync is being used i believe).

for different variations on the options be sure to read this post below in this thread: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...7&postcount=17

Option1: Change Cache size
    1) Find your KillingFloor.ini file located in the steam/steamapps/common/KillingFLoor/system folder (hint it looks like a notpad icon with a cog)
    2) Change the cache size to better match your ram size
    Listed under [Engine.GameEngine].

256 Megabytes of RAM or less
    CacheSizeMegs=32

512 Megabytes of RAM
    CacheSizeMegs=64

768 Megabytes of RAM
    CacheSizeMegs=128

1 Gigabyte of RAM or more
    CacheSizeMegs=256

Note: making CacheSizeMegs bigger than 256 is not recommended as it can create your system to crash on some maps (createxture failed error), even if you have plenty of memory.

Option2: Turn of PreCaching
    1) Find your KillingFloor.ini file located in the steam/steamapps/common/KillingFLoor/system folder (hint it looks like a notpad icon with a cog)
    2) Change the values listed below:

under [ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
    Change UsePrecache=True to UsePrecache=False

and under [Engine.LevelInfo]
    Change bNeverPrecache=false to bNeverPrecache=true

and under [Engine.NullRenderDevice]
    Change UsePrecaching=True to UsePrecaching=False

and under [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]

and under [D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]

and under [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]

and under [PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice]
    Option 3: for windows 7/Vista users turn off Superfetch

Superfetch is generally used to load often used programs early into your memory so when you use it, that it can be started up quicker.

Finally if you use windows 7 or windows vista and make use of SuperFetch for your memory and encounter "stuttering" it might be worth turning that off.

To turn it off press the windows start button -> in the search field type "services"
    From the result list press on Services or press enter.

Look in that screen for superfetch and and double click on it to open a window
    Set startup type to "Disabled" and below that click the "Stop" button.
    After that press OK or Apply and close all windows.
    Option 4: Turn off "Reduce Mouse lag"

The option reduce mouselag reduces the mouse lag you get when you have vsync enabled, however it eats loads of cpu cycles. So if you get stuttering or bad performance or even mouselag, its worth trying to turn this off.
    Option 5: Use the DX 9 renderer (recommended), or perhaps try the OpenGL renderer (not recommended)

On most computers the DX9 rederer performs faster and loads better than the dx8 renderer, and its only advised using the DX8 renderer if the DX9 one gives issues. The OpenGL renderer is officially not supported afaik, but on some computers it can actually give the best speeds and performance so if you have issues with performance and loading just try it out on your own risk.

If you had previously enabled the dx8 renderer you can do the opposite of this thread to put it back to dx9 or to the openGL one.
    http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...ad.php?t=30754
    Option 6: Defragment your harddisc

Bad fragmentation of your harddisc can increase loading times and lower fps so keep your system drive and kf drive in good shape.

I personally recommend perfectdisk (their site got a free trial http://www.perfectdisk.com/). As they are the only company offering an offline defragmentation option with metadata defragmentation. Doing both a regular defragment as an offline defragment for the KF and Windows drives will definitely improve performance and loading speed.

If you dont wan't to try trial software you can of course use your favourite defragmentation software.
    Last edited by Zetsumei; 06-20-2010, 11:44 AM.

I am still having problems going into the next map. Why should I have to change anything? It was fine before the update. I don't have any other load problems with any other game except for KF. I am quite annoyed at having to deal with long load times and not being able to continue onto the next map w/o being d/c. I have dealt with this issue all week, and the latest update has not helped...

Comment

well i just know that some things help, i dont know why some things stopped to work well.

Can you state your system specs?

Comment

AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual 5200+
        4 gigs of ram
        2.71ghz
        Nvidia 9800gt

Comment

I frequently have in-game freezes (that last anywhere from 5-10 seconds, which is enough to get you killed). I've had them for about 3 months, but noticed they started happening at least every wave, if not more than once per wave. After changing my cache size I have noticed a decrease in these freezes, however they still do happen. I will try option 2 to see if it eliminates the problem.

My system specs are (taken from DxDiag):
          ================================================== ==
          Time of this report: 10/25/2009, 17:07:33
          Machine name: LONELESS
          Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.090803-2339)
          Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
          BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
          Memory: 2558MB RAM
          Page File: 1532MB used, 3803MB available
          Windows Dir: C:\Windows
          DirectX Version: DirectX 10
          DX Setup Parameters: Not found
          DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

Display Memory: 1522 MB
          Dedicated Memory: 499 MB
          Shared Memory: 1023 MB

Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
          Driver Version: 8.16.0011.9107 (English)

================================================== ==

If anyone see's anything wrong with my rig (i.e. bad display drivers, etc) let me know, or anything else I can try to stop this freezing. Thank you!!

Comment

I dont recommend disabling precaching

I tried this out, I didnt notice much speed difference in load times..not that i really needed a tweak to boost my performance or anything (my rig is really "good" and well maintained)

Although cutting down what is loaded initially can make it load faster this causes the files to just be loaded later when needed

I was playing with this tweak and I noticed occasional lock ups while the game loaded the new entity (mostly during the first few seconds of a wave)
            [LEFT]Yomommassis (Yo

Comment

Same thing, Nothing helped.

Intel core 2 duoE6600 3.0GHZ
              SLI Nvidia 8800 512. Latest drivers
              Patriot G-Series 1066 8GB Ram
              Sata 250 GB Samsung HDD
              IDE WDVR 10k 40 GB Drive
              4GB Virtual Ram
              MS Windows 7 RC edition (I know ill get official soon)

Was fine before the update, as I would hope a system with these specs could run KF fine. Tried lowest gfx settings to check, no effect. currently 1280x1024 max gfx 8x AA still loads slow, up to 3 minutes to join, most of the time i load in on wave 2 now, but im the first to load in.

Comment

I tried this fix way back. It didnt work for me and created a lot of lag spikes and stuttering in game. But, yesterday I was sent this link again and told it fixed their issue. Having done this before, I did it quickly and didnt read the whole post. I only changed the "UsePreCache=True" settings to False and CacheSize=256. Missing the rest of the settings.

All maps loaded fine and didnt have any lag or stuttering. I came back to this post later and noticed I missed "UsePrecaching" and "bNeverPrecache" settings. I changed the "UsePrecaching=True" to False and the "bNeverPrecache=False" to True. Went into the game and it was stuttering and lagging on specimens. Then at map change I was again frozen on the map loading screen. Had to tab out and kill the process.

So I set the "UsePrecaching" sections back to True. I go into game and the stuttering and lag are gone. Runs great. Map change and again...Hang. Kill the process.

So I set the "bNeverPrecache=True" back to False. Game runs great, no stuttering or lagging. Map switches........loaded next map with no issues. Repeatedly loaded maps without the freezing.

So, the solution for me was to only change the "UsePrecache=True" settings to False and CacheSize=256

Leaving the "UsePrecaching=True" and bNeverPrecache=False" settings alone.

Try different settings, test them all. Maybe you will get lucky and find the right combination for your system.
                Last edited by Them; 11-30-2009, 02:24 PM.
                [CENTER][URL="http://houseofamon.com"][IMG]http://houseofamon.com/images/hoa-sig.png[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]
                [CENTER][COLOR=white][/COLOR] [/CENTER]

Comment

Woah, nice! Though I didn't test under ideal conditions, I did get a quick game in to check to see if Them's solution would work, and it seemingly did.

On the downside, load times are back to being a bit long (maybe it's just perception?). So on one hand, the crash bug appears to be fixed for me, but there still seems to be a problem all the same. I suppose I'll take stability over speed.
                  Last edited by IanTheM1; 11-30-2009, 07:20 PM.

Comment

My post above worked on my laptop but not on my desktop. My desktop used different settings.

Desktop Settings

CacheSize=256
                    bNeverPrecache=True

All the other settings were left alone due to lag, stutters or graphic issues
                    Last edited by Them; 12-01-2009, 04:10 PM.
                    [CENTER][URL="http://houseofamon.com"][IMG]http://houseofamon.com/images/hoa-sig.png[/IMG][/URL][/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Them View Post
                      My post above worked on my laptop but not on my desktop. My desktop used different settings.

Desktop Settings

CacheSize=256
                      bNeverPrecache=True

All the other settings were left alone due to lag, stutters or graphic issues

By this you mean the your desktop machine had to have these alternative settings to work?
                      [URL="http://tinyurl.com/yfbkf9y"][IMG]http://tinyurl.com/ydlj9ev"[/IMG][/URL]
                      [URL="http://projectoffset.com"]PO[/URL]|[URL="http://battlefield40k.com"]BF40K[/URL]|[URL="http://tinyurl.com/oaxjqh"]DX3*TH4[/URL]|[URL="http://tinyurl.com/oozzbl"]NSII[/URL]|[URL="http://tinyurl.com/yekq7sc"]ND[/URL]|[URL="http://tinyurl.com/ybbd5r8"]RSE[/URL]|[URL="http://tinyurl.com/7aw3rh"]BEER[/URL]|

Comment

yes. and a friend only had to change cachesize to 256. So you can probably fix your issues. I would start at the top and change 1 setting at a time.

Comment

I have a Question what is meaned with the Option 1

Option1: Change Cache size
                          2) Change the cache size to better match your ram size
                          Listed under [Engine.GameEngine].

256 Megabytes of RAM or less
                          CacheSizeMegs=32

512 Megabytes of RAM
                          CacheSizeMegs=64

768 Megabytes of RAM
                          CacheSizeMegs=128

1 Gigabyte of RAM or more
                          CacheSizeMegs=256

Note: making CacheSizeMegs bigger than 256 is at your own risk as it can create your system to crash on some maps (createxture failed error), even if you have plenty of memory.

From what Ram is the Talk ? From the Ram on the mainboard or from the Ram of the graficcard?

My Pc :
                          Athlon xp 4400+ Dual Core
                          Windows 7 32Bit
                          Ram: 4 GB
                          Geforce 8600Gt Overclocked Edition with 512Mb

Hope someone can me answer

Comment

those guidelines are roughly based on system memory. Recently someone had some issues with 256 so perhaps try it a bit lower or higher.

Comment

Too long to Load the next Map(When Played Online)

About 80-90% of the times after i play a map on KF(played online), when it changes, it takes forever to load again. This keeps getting worse as long as I keep playing.
                              I always played in windowed mode: 800x600 with low display settings.

System Specs:
                              Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3200 2 GHz
                              RAM: 3 GB
                              Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9200 GE
                              Sound Card: Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221
                              Hard Drive: 133 GB Free (with already game installed. so... ye...)
                              Recommended:
                              [COLOR=gray]
                              Last edited by Joseph; 01-17-2010, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X