• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

0 - No servers after Summer Update.

What I get (fresh install, only network settings set):
Spoiler!

What the log says:
Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Well one thing I noticed in the log is you're missing these lines.

ScriptLog: UT2k4Browser_ServersList RECEIVED QUERYFINISHED NOTICE WITH ITEMCOUNT > 0!!! ITEMCOUNT:1830 Info:0
Log: Viewport WindowsViewport: WM_DisplayChange
ScriptLog: UT2k4Browser_ServersList RECEIVED QUERYFINISHED NOTICE WITH ITEMCOUNT > 0!!! ITEMCOUNT:1830 Info:0

Now I need to figure out why. At first I thought maybe you were missing the master server setting in your INI so I removed them. I no longer get the above log entries, but I can still query the master server.

Let me ask what steps you took specifically to delete the local content. Did you use Steam to delete the content or did you navigate to the KillingFloor directory and delete the whole thing? If you used Steam I suggest deleting the KillingFloor directory manually.

I'm still going to try to replicate your issue though, might take some time. In the meantime, delete the folder directly.

Upvote 0
Deleting local content with Steam does not work.
Steam will find 900-something files missing, and try to download them, but it actually recovers them from the Hard Disk.
I know because download from Greece takes like 40-60 minutes and the whole directory was "downloaded" in less than 5 minutes.
Same thing that used to happen when you had a game installed during a free weekend (or week, etc), and after the free time expired, Steam would delete it, and if you bought it, it would be "installed" by being recovered from your disk (but you could rename the folder and "keep" it or copy the folder"(but you could not play it)). Now Steam lets installed games that their free time has expired just stay there unless you uninstall them (of course you cannot play them). Very nice of them actually.

Anyway...

I have to rename the folder from "Killing Floor" to something else to avoid Steam detecting it and recovering it.

First time, I used Eraser to permanently erase the whole, renamed "Killing Floor" folder beyond any recovery (Overkill). I deleted local content from Steam, then reinstalled. Steam downloaded every file and did not worked. That was before the update ended.

Second and Third time, I did not used the Eraser (wears off the disk). The renamed "Killing Floor" folder was deleted to free HD space, and I just checked the integrity of game cache without deleting local content. 900-something files where missing and redownloaded. Nothing works.

For the third time, I changed my download location from the default Italy, to Denmark. Nothing changed.

I verified the integrity of cache numerous times from when the problems started. Usually 1-3 files will be redownloaded, but nothing works.

One time I saw servers but was unable to connect. Game tried to download index.rom until it timed out (same thing happens when i try to open IP manually). Second try, without reinstall or verification of cache, I got no server list

Upvote 0
Well if you deleted your KillingFloor.ini then it also deleted the favorites list.

I am willing to bet that your firewall is blocking access. Although just for the heck of it when you click the news tab in the top right corner it says version 1060, correct?

Disabling firewalls doesn't always disable their rules just so you know. Especially if you have a third party firewall running. I would recommend you uninstall any third party firewalls completely then reboot. Then disable the windows firewall. Running two software firewalls on the same computer is pointless anyway.

Upvote 0
Yes, it is version 1060.
Spoiler!

I have the Win firewall turned on because it is very annoying when turned off. I have no problems with any games or programs so I let it stay on.

The other Firewall is that of BitDefender. I had it installed months before I start to experience problems, and never had issues with KF before the update.
KF is added in the "Allow" list of this firewall as well as the Win firewall.

Sure, I can reinstall this anti-virus, format my system, or whatever, but I am just bored to mess up things that I need to waste time fixing up afterwards just to "test" if they are going to do any difference, while most probably are not going to make any difference.

Upvote 0
Having two firewalls (like having two antivirus) is a really bad idea in my opinion I can not see any good reason to do that..

It seems that the executable is blocked by your system.. Please try this:
Turn windows firewall OFF if you have another one (Bit Defender), because having two firewalls is just doubling the problems you can have, if not creating conflicts..
Then remove all the rules for KillingFloor.exe in the firewall you are using, be sure to validate the deletion (you can restart and see if rules are gone from your firewall).
After that, launch Killing Floor, you firewall should ask what action you want to do (block/allow), allow KillingFloor.exe and see if it is now working..

This may work, I already had issues with my firewall after an update of games (Red Orchestra 2 and Killing Floor for example), all rules were OK, all turned on/allowed but I had to delete all rules then add them again..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well the reason why Killing Floor isn't working for you is because you don't know how to configure the software running on your computer.

Updating the game changes the executable and to a firewall such as bit defender it thinks the program has been hijacked/compromised by a virus/trojan and thus blocked it's access. Regardless if you think your rules have it allowed. It's not. Simple as that.

If you want to play KF then uninstall, not reinstall, but completely delete and remove Bit Defender from your system. Restart, then load up KF and enjoy the killing.

Upvote 0
I deleted the rules from the Win Firewall and then two more rules for the same .exes came up.

While the original files where like:

KillingFloor.exe ✔ ✔
KillingFloorSDK.exe ✔ ✔

The second files where like:

KillingFloor.exe _ ✔
KillingFloorSDK.exe _ ✔

I deleted all four of them and now the game works.

Win Firewall is currently turned off. I will check with Win Firewall turned on, because it is going to become annoying sooner or later.

It seems that the update caused the .exe files to be recognized as different files and new rules where created for them under the preexisting ones without any notification poping up. Interesting.

Win Firewall sucks, I know. The only thing it is good at, is preventing software and games from accessing the internet, while all the viruses pass right trough.

Upvote 0
You do not need windows firewall because you already have another firewall as you told, Bit Defender. Choose one but do not use two firewalls as it is really source of problems (for example one firewall can have a different rule than the other and you do not understand why it is not working... and eventually it can increase you broadband adapter latency, create lags, and maybe conflicts).

Microsoft have an explanation on the benefits to run two firewalls at the same time but this is something really specific an end user like you does not need in your configuration (see here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee824086%28v=cs.20%29.aspx they explain why and what kind of two firewall configuration you can have)

So please, use only one to not waste people's time on a future problem caused by your misuse/misunderstanding of your firewall :p (Bit Defender's firewall can work like windows firewall so there is really no logical reason to use both). In the end you do what you want.

Upvote 0
Told you.

Yes, yes, but these rules where under the list lower border, thus not visible. I did not bothered cheating the whole list, because the KF rules where there, and because with win firewall turned off, the same issue continued...

Win Firewall, when turned off for some time, starts popping up windows notifying that: "The system is in danger!" "Your computer is at risk!" "The aliens are coming!".
It is a little annoying when these pop-ups cover your HUD and more annoying when they make your monitor shake, your game to be minimized, your game to be minimized and be unable to make it full screen, your game to be minimized and cannot be maximized again, and totally annoying when they crash your game.

This is why I just let the Win Firewall on. I do this for years and had no problems, but I did not used Steam much in this time. I use Steam for 1 year and I has used it for 1 year when HL2 came out. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0