• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Steam Auth failing

tehmadcap

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2010
Uninitialized: STEAMAUTH : SteamAPI_Init failed

Log: STEAMSTATS: SECURITY CHECK FAILED - /ENGINE.U
Log: STEAMSTATS: SECURITY CHECK FAILED - ../System/Engine.u
Log: STEAMSTATS: SEC... etc

What would be causing this? I think this is a network wide problem for anyone hosted with Hypernia so help would be appreciated by many I'm sure.

Full log:
Spoiler!

They've reinstalled the master files.

Just do a reinstall, should work.

Just reinstall... that's a joke. It's a sub-optimal solution. Updates shouldn't mean reinstall the whole bloody server, it defeats the object of the binary diff system.

EDIT: Reinstalling gives me a Windows install on a Linux server, nice. Might explain why I'm seeing "STEAMSTATS: SECURITY CHECK FAILED" for a heap of the core files on an updated server. TWI please make this suck less.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well the issues I think this is causing is my server has the IsVACSecured as false. I though it was because of the failure of security. What do I set the IsVACSecured to true with...and yes I have the bVACSecured=True under Engine GameInfo. And this is right after I do an update....no custom map stuff.

ok fixed it.... In my startup script I had typo VACSecure=tr ue tr ue does not equal true !

NAKED

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks, validating ie update steam through the TCPAdmin panel fixed this problem for me.

EDIT: Nope - jut happened again....re-validating doesn't work anymore.....I have a feeling it's caused by Steam not running on the server side because my home test server is running perfectly fine, but when ran through my dedicated one, I get:

Log: Log file open, 09/14/16 21:09:33
Init: Name subsystem initialized
Init: Detected: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1 (Build: 7601)
Init: Version: 3339 (128.29)
Init: RO_VERSION: 1094
Init: KF_VERSION: 1065
Init: Compiled: Apr 13 2016 09:31:47
Init: Command line: KF-WestLondon.rom?VACSecure=true?Game=KFmod.KFGameTyp e?Mutator=MutLoader.MutLoader?MaxPlayers=6?multiho me=45.121.208.12
Init: Character set: Unicode
Init: Base directory: D:\TCAFiles\Users\Zacha\10796\system\
Init: Ini:KillingFloor.ini UserIni:User.ini
Init: Build label: Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]
Init: Object subsystem initialized
Log: STEAMAUTH : SteamAPI_Init failed
Exit: Preparing to exit.
Log: Purging garbage
Log: Unbound to Core.dll
Log: Unbound to Engine.dll
Exit: Game engine shut down
Log: Garbage: objects: 16441->0; refs: 0
Exit: Object subsystem successfully closed.
Exit: Exiting.
Log: FileManager: Reading 0 GByte 12 MByte 647 KByte 438 Bytes from HD took 0.031000 seconds (0.022000 reading, 0.009000 seeking).
Log: FileManager: 0.067000 seconds spent with misc. duties
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Allocation checking disabled
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 09/14/16 21:15:03

And then loops on that forever.....

And according to this it confirms that the cause is apparently steam not running?

Last edited:
Upvote 0