• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Log chat?

Boltte

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2014
Perth, WA
Hi, wondering if there was a mut/script that lets me log anything and everything that's typed through TeamSay and Say from any and all players who join the server, just like how there's a server.log file to log the server running and stuff, but unfortunately it doesn't log TeamSay or Say as well....

I am asking this because I obviously wont be on WebAdmin 24/7 screening it just to see if there are any complaints, comments or suggestions that was supposedly towards the admin(me), and since I don't have the time or leisure to screen this 24/7, I won't be able to see it all, or even at all!

I remember that ServerExt has a feature like this, although I have never tried it myself and can't guarantee you if it works.

Code:
bLogChat
Save the chat to a log file
Ahh, via Chat Filter in ServerExt. Oh I already have the latest version installed by the looks of it - guess it came with the server.

Yes this what I was looking for! Thanks! I don't need to filter any words or all that nonsense, we're all adults(maybe some kids and teenagers but I don't care about them - if they are why are they even playing this game if they don't like the possibility of swears from other players?! :p) here and this game is rated M(or I think it is at least) for Mature anyways, so I don't mind people raging or venting out frustration via swear words and the like or have a habit of talking in swears like they do IRL....

I live in Australia and I've already had enough of their stupid laws on silly things to *protect* us or if they just don't like it at all they just ban it - what are we 5?!

And if people don't like, then go away and find a sever with words filtered coz you're too kiddy to handle the big words....

Except one minor issue, any way to append the file rather than it keep creating new files for different sessions?

I also find that if I exit the server before it switches to the next map/mode, the log is not created(but I won't/don't do that unless it's for testing purposes and I need the server down whilst I make changes to it, otherwise it should be 24/7 unless the GSP drops out or something - so this shouldn't be a problem for me) and I'm guessing if it crashes, the log file isn't created either(I haven't found a way to crash the server whilst ingame, only able to crash the server on start or on map/mode change but I'm guessing it'll save before it exits, just like how it saves the log for the server before it exits cmd ui, heh).

Oh I also see the page also explains player join log! This'll come in handy to log on who's been on here and exactly when as well! Good more detailed *newplayer* entries to the server.log file.

Oh also noticed Stats Chat Log, which apparently says it will also enable chat logging to local file, which I presume is the server.log? Anyways, I installed it - booted up my home dummy server and was greeted with the first screenshot attached in this post. And then when clicking Yes to create username and password, it brings me to the options game tab with no option to create a username or password. So I guess this is a relic from the past...which doesn't work in KF1...?

Attachments

• 20160513000430_1.jpg
    20160513000430_1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20160513000435_1.jpg
    20160513000435_1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Upvote 0
we're all adults
You sure about that? :D

Except one minor issue, any way to append the file rather than it keep creating new files for different sessions?

Just by looking at the webpage I linked in my previous post, I don't see any way of changing that behavior.

I also find that if I exit the server before it switches to the next map/mode, the log is not created

Logging in general is kinda weird sometimes, it seems like there is some buffer in place which keeps messages instead of writing them into the logfile right way.

and was greeted with the first screenshot attached in this post. And then when clicking Yes to create username and password, it brings me to the options game tab with no option to create a username or password. So I guess this is a relic from the past...which doesn't work in KF1...?

I assume this is something which used to be relevant in UT but doesn't work for KF. But like I said, since i have never used, I can't really say anything about it's features or behaviors. Thanks for sharing your experience though, I might give this mutator a shot in the future.

Upvote 0
You sure about that? :D
Ok, well maybe most, I just presume a game like this probably won't interest kids, teens maybe(I know I first got onto this when I was 14 or 13, can't remember hahaha - but I didn't really get into it until I was 19 or 20 maybe) - I know there are probably some kids and teens playing R18+ rated games as we speak.... So are you implying you're not an adult?

Just by looking at the webpage I linked in my previous post, I don't see any way of changing that behavior.
Damn....ok well I suppose I'll have to put up with reading each separate file......unless this can be modified externally via a mut/script(I can't code for crap so you'll need to tell me if this is possible or not, unless you're not a coder yourself?! :p)?

Thanks for sharing your experience though, I might give this mutator a shot in the future.
Yeah go ahead and come back on what your thoughts are!:)

Huh, just tried to add the lines to the ini file to my dedicated server and it looks like it doesn't even come pre-installed with the serverext files and folders! Hm, so I guess stock servers don't come with this pre-installed and I somehow must have fidgeted with it in the past that I don't remember of...

Last edited:
Upvote 0