• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor Gold Box - and female character!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow are you freaking serious? This is utter bull crap make the female character an exclusive DLC because as far as I can see you get absolutely nothing from this SPECIAL EDITION crap box. Buying the game all over again just for a single player model is the biggest rip off ever. MAKE THIS A DLC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Upvote 0
You know what.

This community can be ****ing ridiculous at times.

Ever since the game was first released people have been outright BEGGING for TWI to make female player characters. There have been votes for it, countless threads asking for it, angry feminists whining about it, flame wars about it, the press asking TWI about it, and after three years YOU ACTUALLY HAVE IT. You have been given a taste of ONE female character, and you have also been given the promise of MORE.

And instead of cheering over this

YOU
****ING
COMPLAIN.

The very FIRST THING you people do is COMPLAIN. Christmas Event! COMPLAIN. Character pack! COMPLAIN. MAC10 addition! COMPLAIN. New achivement challenges! COMPLAIN.

No wonder TWI's updates to the game are so slow to come around, it must be pretty difficult to try work up the ability to be bothered about a community of entitled, grabby little ****s. Seriously guys, I am disappointed. Most of you have paid a exceptionally low price for a game that you have been playing for THREE WHOLE YEARS and you have all recieved lots of FREE STUFF but you still COMPLAIN.

Sort your ****ing act out, guys. The least you can do is start off with appreciating the fact that the guys at TWI have made the framework to add the female characters you've all been crying for finally. Hell, this character is only a cosmetic addition and you don't miss out on the magic of KF if you don't have it, not in the slightest.

Christ, this really rustles my Jimmies.

---

If it's worth mentioning at this point, I'd actually be really happy to buy this character as a standalone DLC instead of the gold edition.

Upvote 0
If it's worth mentioning at this point, I'd actually be really happy to buy this character as a standalone DLC instead of the gold edition.

lol this has to be one of my favourite posts ever, just because of that tagged on part.

That is where the unhappy campers are coming from, because they already own the game and have all the dlc's etc and then are expected to by an additional copy, just to have the new content.

From my personal point of view, I will never have this character because I have no reason on this earth to buy the additional copy.

a. Every friend I have on Steam, already owns the game
b. I am not going to buy a copy just to gift to a stranger
c. Outside of the web world, I don't know any gamers, so again have no reason to purchase an extra copy

I can see why they did it this way, to support and sponsor the 3rd party company that made it possible to have a female character and I applaud that but I still feel robbed, just like most do, as I have been a loyal KF fan since 2009 and now have been forced to buy something, I don't need, want or will never find a use for, just to get a new character.

I would be happy though to pay even

Last edited:
Reactions: poosh
Upvote 0
KF Modding Crew to the rescue!!!! I give it 3 weeks max before this "exclusive" charecter is re-skinned and posted on a web site. Not to mention a wide variety of user made content. We should be thankful to Iceberg for giving us the tools we need to make our own.

P.S.
Tripwire could easily gift out another "exclusive" female to players based on how long they have owned the base game.
Also, let us not forget we have a time frame for additional white list content and bug fixes. Lets focus on the positives and make this event work for the whole community.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You know what.

This community can be ****ing ridiculous at times.

Ever since the game was first released people have been outright BEGGING for TWI to make female player characters. There have been votes for it, countless threads asking for it, angry feminists whining about it, flame wars about it, the press asking TWI about it, and after three years YOU ACTUALLY HAVE IT. You have been given a taste of ONE female character, and you have also been given the promise of MORE.

And instead of cheering over this

YOU
****ING
COMPLAIN.

The very FIRST THING you people do is COMPLAIN. Christmas Event! COMPLAIN. Character pack! COMPLAIN. MAC10 addition! COMPLAIN. New achivement challenges! COMPLAIN.

No wonder TWI's updates to the game are so slow to come around, it must be pretty difficult to try work up the ability to be bothered about a community of entitled, grabby little ****s. Seriously guys, I am disappointed. Most of you have paid a exceptionally low price for a game that you have been playing for THREE WHOLE YEARS and you have all recieved lots of FREE STUFF but you still COMPLAIN.

Sort your ****ing act out, guys. The least you can do is start off with appreciating the fact that the guys at TWI have made the framework to add the female characters you've all been crying for finally. Hell, this character is only a cosmetic addition and you don't miss out on the magic of KF if you don't have it, not in the slightest.

Christ, this really rustles my Jimmies.

---

Okay, first raging at people who don't like the idea of buying the gold edition just to get 1 character, THEN you actually do exactly same thing, but acting cool. No coment.

Upvote 0
This is a huge insult. No, I'm not mad about not being able to use the character. I'm mad that you guys are doing it under these asinine conditions. Honestly, trying to make people rebuy the entire game just for a single character that people have been wanting for years? For Pete's sake, it's just a single model with a few lines of dialogue. And it's the only thing that this "gold edition" has to offer, you want people to rebuy the game for this? This is a worse deal than all of the other DLC's. And no, getting extra copies of a couple two dollar DLC's doesn't justify this.
Maybe the little fanboys around here saying "take my money I NEED THIS MODEL" enjoy being milked like cows, but anybody who isn't a consumer tool doesn't.

csyFY.png

Remember this, John? Yeah.. I'm sorry but this is just hypocrisy. You're the one asking that developers not try to extort money from people, then your company turns right around shortly after and does it themselves. Sigh.

Not even Electronic Arts has gone as far as to tell their playerbase to buy the entire game again for a tiny nibble of content, this is just bad.

EA CEO John Riccitiello On Gaming Microtransactions - YouTube

Nobody wants to be this guy. And I mean nobody.

Stop letting the money get to your head. Businesses need funds to manage, but pulling stunts like this isn't the way to obtain them.

Tripwire, please stop before it's too late.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rak
Upvote 0
This is my first post, but I've been an avid reader of this forum for a long time. I am in total agreement with the vast majority of people who are outraged over having to purchase a new copy of Killing Floor to derive the benefits of having a female character. One new character, even if it provides a template for a slew of new female characters, does not merit purchasing a brand new copy of this game. There are no major changes to gameplay, no new game modes, nor anything else that would warrant a full purchase of a new copy. To date, I have already spent in excess of $100 US, on this game. I bought a number of copies for friends, back when it was $20, a few more copies during past Steam sales, and have purchased most of the DLC character packs.

I have never been against the idea of supporting TWI, and paying for DLC character packs. Having said that, there is no way I will shell out more money to get yet another copy of this game, even if it comes with the caveat of having a superfluous copy to give away. To make matters worse, even if I were to gift the superfluous copy to another person, wouldn't they also have to buy the gold box to be able to use the female skin? In essence, having a copy to give away isn't much of a consolation if it would just be my old obsolete copy missing the new content. I do understand that a third party made the skin, and I am all for paying them their due for services rendered. Having said that, I believe that can come from Tripwire by releasing the new content as a DLC, and giving a share of the profits to the ones who developed the new skin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Making the purchase of a boxed edition (massively unpopular, if not outright obsolete, in PC gaming) of the Killing Floor be the sole method of obtaining this female character is a remarkably flawed decision. A female skin has been a highly requested feature for years now, so I'm not surprised it's finally happening since it's guaranteed money in the bank. But not like this.

The one common factor between the people who made those requests for a female character is that they already own the game. There's no reason for them to buy it again. You're just tagging on redundant baggage to inflate the price. It's honestly difficult to see it any other way. You want to highlight the "tradeable" item part, but there are two problems there: 1. The Steam trading market is complete garbage and most sane individuals would prefer to steer far clear from it, and 2. Killing Floor is not that valuable on the trading market anyway due to the frequent $5 sales. The extra copy could simply be given away as a gift, but considering all of the sales KF has already had, most potential giftees have received one by now (you only have so many friends to give KF to!) and potential gifters will simply wait for the next inevitable Steam sale to snatch it at a good price. An expensive boxed copy is just not logistically or economically sound.

I don't think there's much more to say since this news is guaranteed to cause, and is already receiving, an almost universally negative reception with absolutely nothing to rebut that sentiment. Many players would eat up a affordably priced female character DLC. As the situation stands, however, few consumers are that interested in buying a boxed PC game (compared to Steam's prices? No deal) and few existing KF players will be desperate enough to pay full retail (perhaps quadruple or even more than they spent on the base game already) just to get one female skin. In the end, Tripwire don't get no money and the players don't get no female character. Everybody loses. Sadness abound. I hope the future female skins are handled better.

Edit: If Iceberg already put up the money, then I guess Tripwire is in the clear here. It's just us who lose, I suppose.

This sums it up exactly. Sorry Tripwire, you're one of my favorite devs, but this is a shameless cash grab. Lost a bit of respect for you guys after this.

Upvote 0
This is a huge insult. No, I'm not mad about not being able to use the character. I'm mad that you guys are doing it under these asinine conditions. Honestly, trying to make people rebuy the entire game just for a single character that people have been wanting for years? For Pete's sake, it's just a single model with a few lines of dialogue. And it's the only thing that this "gold edition" has to offer, you want people to rebuy the game for this? This is a worse deal than all of the other DLC's. And no, getting extra copies of a couple two dollar DLC's doesn't justify this.
Maybe the little fanboys around here saying "take my money I NEED THIS MODEL" enjoy being milked like cows, but anybody who isn't a consumer tool doesn't.

csyFY.png

Remember this, John? Yeah.. I'm sorry but this is just hypocrisy. You're the one asking that developers not try to extort money from people, then your company turns right around shortly after and does it themselves. Sigh.

Not even Electronic Arts has gone as far as to tell their playerbase to buy the entire game again for a tiny nibble of content, this is just bad.

EA CEO John Riccitiello On Gaming Microtransactions - YouTube

Nobody wants to be this guy. And I mean nobody.

Stop letting the money get to your head. Businesses need funds to manage, but pulling stunts like this isn't the way to obtain them.

Tripwire, please stop before it's too late.

First I have to say that your taking what John said and twisting it. He's saying that he thinks a PC game shouldn't by sold for 60 bucks at release. Killing Floor is a 20 dollar game with massive sales all the time and we do free massive updates atleast 3 times a year with new weapons, levels, music ect. Ice Burg headed up this project in order to get new KF boxes in the stores and now in the future you'll have more female characters coming online. I can see some of the peoples knee jerk reaction to this but if you look at the big picture it's a good thing. There's a lot of free content coming this year even more so then last year. How many games do you know that do this much free content 3 years after release?

Reactions: Spicy
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure it's either you trade the "ENTIRE GIFT" or you use it.

I've bought a pack where I've wanted to gift different parts to different friends when I bought the full gift pack and it wouldn't let me do it.

I've issued a ticket and they told me I have to give the entire gift and couldn't divide it up like, one full game to him and these DLC character pack to that guy, etc.

So I don't think this "GOLD EDITION" is going to be any different. It'll just be "KF: GOLD" and you either use the entire gift on yourself or you give it to someone else.

I've lost some respect for this particular decision for TWI, but not as much as other companies throughout my years.

Amen.

Upvote 0
I'm speechless about this.

I bought all dlcs for KF (and even The Ball and RO2 for the skins initially), thinking "They are doing a great job on the free content, so I should buy the skins to support them". Now they simply make a gold edition, add exclusive stuff to it, and "if you want it, just rebuy the game you had".
Where is the respect for all those people who bought KF a long time ago, and supported the game ever since? Many people here have the game since day 1.

Really Tripwire, is this what all people that supported the game deserves after all? Even being just a skin, it is not a smart (and decent) move at all.

If I (we as a community) had the opportunity to get it without buying the gold editon (free or even paid dlc for those who already had the game), I would even consider into buying the Gold Edition to give my support to the Trip (since of the already mentioned free content updates).

Upvote 0
@Mordred: This is only after your bought the gold box set. In order to receive this character, EVERYONE has to BUY THE GOLD BOX SET. There is no other way as they pointed out. When you buy the gold box set, your preexisting copy of KF and all the DLCs you bought for it become tradeables or gifts.

@Zerisus: This "knee-jerk reaction" should not come as a surprise. I don't even play EA games or know what the hate is all about, but even I was taken aback at this deal that we, the players, have to swallow just to receive one more new character skin with new lines and voice-acting. Considering that I don't think this business decision will be revoked, the player/fanbase would definitely like to know what sort of content will be available in the future. As of right now, the majority of us aren't particularly happy with this.

I suppose the one major question that everyone is asking at this point (and if you care to answer) is this: will Ash Harding be available later in another DLC?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.