• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Mod] Survivor Beta - Both game modes, 17 New Perks, 8 New Zeds, New Voicepack, More!

Invalid reasoning - Friendly fire isn't standard and shouldn't be treated as such. :p

It feels to me like friendly-fire will be pretty much standard for this mod, as it was strongly designed around it. It's meant to be difficult, and it's meant to have a strong emphasis on teamwork and require smart tactics, so maybe judging it by that standard isn't fair.

I've noticed the following bugs so far:

• Arachne's hitbox seems to be that of a crawler, possibly depending on the animation.
  • Siren smoke causes framerate droppage, especially when there's multiple sirens on screen.
  • Voice Commands aren't working. When players press V there's no menu, so players have to rely on voice or in-game chat.
  • After switching to mini-darts and back to normal ammo, sometimes the Exterminator won't fire.
  • Similar problem with Boomstick--occasionally the gun 'breaks', and won't fire anymore.
  • The issue with perks not switching was already mentioned by Skell.
If I notice anything else, I'll be sure to post it here. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So I played with Heavy Weapons Expert a lot today and I've come to a few suggestions. I think you should remove semi-auto from the SAW, reasons being with semi auto it sort of becomes an assault rifle you never have to reload, and it would also make them waste ammo faster plus become more dependent on the Prepper for that reason. I think you should also increase its weight by 2 blocks and lower its ammo pool (maybe make it get 45 ammo instead of 60 from ammo box) or damage a tiny bit. It definitely needs some sort of nerf because having double the ammo pool of PKM and room for m79 + desert eagle makes it a whole lot better choice.
The PKM despite being a complete beast is balanced I think, considering it has 100/120 max ammo, no semi auto and takes most of your weight.
Not so sure about the RPK 47 yet.
As for explosives I feel they are balanced. The possibility you could blow up the whole team is a good balancing factor (I usually try to avoid them now after that incident). I'm not sure if M32 gets 6 from ammo boxes or not but if it does you should lower that too.
You should give them weaker starting weapons, they seem to start with weapons better than other perks.
I take back what I said about making them slower because then if they had just joined or died the trader could be far and they won't make it :(
I would instead suggest making the LAW, SAW, PKM and M32 cause a large loss in speed while in use, while still having the 10% reduction using other weapons.
These are my thoughts so far tell me what you think.
I think what I'll do is remove the ammo bonus for the heavy weapons expert entirely, reduce his discounts, make his movement speed slower, and make it so that when the trader is open everyone's movespeed is increased to normal, and reduce the amount of ammo you get from M249 pickups by a small amount (to 40 from 50).

The next version will also have the friendly-fire explosives nerf (lowering the friendly fire scale will scale down the damage of explosives down to a maximum of 50%).

Not sure about removing select fire on it, though, since the RPK hits significantly harder, is a bit lighter, has semi-auto, and even has a reflex sight. Only carries a little less ammo, and gains about the same from pickups (which do more damage per round). I think the M249/RPK dichotomy should be the most balanced as far as "general use" goes. I agree that most of the time you should be erring towards the M249/RPK over the PKM, and this is intended. The PKM is, however, the most overpowered gun in the game by FAR when it has ammo, which makes it a really powerful tool during late waves or for the patriarch. It fills a different role than the other MGs for sure, so I'm happy with it being a specialty choice that isn't generally your #1 choice.

It's also intended that MGs are just flat out better than Assault Rifles other than weight. It's more his weight capacity that makes them viable than the ammo bonuses. Why wouldn't he just carry two assault rifles instead of an M249? (gasp, check it out, he can, and it's actually really good - larger ammo pool, more ammo from pickups because he gets a mag for each gun, and the SCAR/FAL do more damage than either the RPK or M249 per shot!) Once I remove his MG-specific ammo bonus, I think it'll make assault rifles a little more appealing to him.

It feels to me like friendly-fire will be pretty much standard for this mod, as it was strongly designed around it. It's meant to be difficult, and it's meant to have a strong emphasis on teamwork and require smart tactics, so maybe judging it by that standard isn't fair.

I've noticed the following bugs so far:

• Arachne's hitbox seems to be that of a crawler, possibly depending on the animation.
  • Siren smoke causes framerate droppage, especially when there's multiple sirens on screen.
  • Voice Commands aren't working. When players press V there's no menu, so players have to rely on voice or in-game chat.
  • After switching to mini-darts and back to normal ammo, sometimes the Exterminator won't fire.
  • Similar problem with Boomstick--occasionally the gun 'breaks', and won't fire anymore.
  • The issue with perks not switching was already mentioned by Skell.
If I notice anything else, I'll be sure to post it here. :)
Thanks, I hope I have time to address all of these issues before I leave town this weekend. I'll try, I think I should be able to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well this look amazing in multiplayer :D

But the hilibily stalkers have a very weird animation , and are just invicible !!!

This is the only problem :D otherwise this mod is absolutely great but i would like to see more servers runnig it :/ just got one which is always empty

It's a little bit counter-intuitive, but have you tried aiming lower?

The Arachna seem to have the same hitbox as a crawler, but if you aim low, they go down pretty quick. :)

Upvote 0
I uploaded a new version with some fixes, it'll be the last one I can put out until after the 14th since I'll be out of town without internets. Hope it's working well enough!

I split the Assets and Code into two different archives to prevent needing to download so much data for a much smaller code update. Just extract both of the archives to the KF directory. If you have an earlier version, you may consider yourself to already have Survivor Assets v1.0. Thus, all you need is the Survivor Mod archive (much smaller).

edit: just updated to v0.52b because of a typo that made explosives do almost no damage. oops.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know if this is just me and friends, but whenever I host a server, everyone except me sees Arachnas in their default model pose (as in standing upright with hands in a "T" fashion and having no animations). Today I joined this French server posted somewhere earlier and (since I was not the host anymore) I had the same problem. Didn't cause much trouble in killing them, but was kinda subtracting from the general experience.

We were playing on normal with friendly-fire on and I must say that 100% is a bit too much for this mod. At least in my opinion. We found ourselves dying in single shot to nearly every ff incident. I was even killed by a single PB headshot on full health and armour, which may not seem that odd, but come on. Also all credit to our least skilled player for pulling that headshot off from the whole length of Bedlam corridor (the one left from spawn) nearly immediately after I crossed the far corner. In the end I switched ff to 50% and it seems more reasonable, especially since we tend to have at least one handyman all the time.

Megapounds (who despite 1st post description also appear in wave 9) have invalid hitboxes, probably using FP's ones, therefore their head is roughly where their throat is. I took several "headshots" with my sniper rifle and did not hit them at all when aiming at model's head. They did not get enraged, so I assume there are no hitboxes there.

Mini Scrakes are f***ing adorable. And have a rocket engine in their asses, they are SO. DAMN. FAST. I fear to imagine how they behave on HoE where everything has speed bonuses.

About making Scrakes and FPs more powerful - I'd like to point out that with merely 4 players game likes to spawn even 4 FPs at once in later waves, so sure, make them somewhat more of a threat, but please don't overdo this, hmm? ^^ Or modify spawn mechanics a little or so.

As to the Heavy Weapons Guy, I have some silly idea, but who knows, maybe that's what you've been looking for. Now bear with me, 'cause I have no idea how KF coding looks like and how hard it would be to implement this, but... how about giving him a suppressive fire ability? Now how would it work:

With only MGs (or maybe even every gun), this particular class either by normal or alternative fire will slow down zeds around the firing cone. Zeds will suffer 2% movement speed loss per each bullet fired in their whereabouts for 5 or so seconds. Effect stacks up to a fixed amount, let's say 40 or 50%. That would help in those situations when there are some heavy zeds (Megapounds?) charging at you and team's damage output is not high enough.

Would be nice to have those MGs firing a bit slower btw (I found myself to be hardly able to see through all the shells flying around my screen when firing SAW), especially if suppressive fire mechanic was to be introduced or else maximum suppression will be achieved in a mere second or so.

Additional feedback about the prepper class: on normal we found it rather unnecessary since there are tons of both guns and ammo packs spawning everywhere.

I'd also like to point out that so far I've tested quite a few guns and almost all of them are assigned to group 3. Which is super annoying when you're carrying 3 or more pieces with you (which I don't anymore because of that). How about putting the most powerful toys in slot 4 (with the exception of SMG section, they all fit in slot 3 perfectly)? Also pistols order on slot 2 is not really my favorite (I'd prefer Mk23 before Glock - which would make sense since Mk23 deals more dmg), but that's just me.

Small sidenote on behalf or realism. Headless FP I was not even shooting at was able to track me down while navigating through obstacles and in the end killed me. While this is the game mechanic and so on and so forth, it was somewhat silly for a blind and deaf dude to find me with ease. Also I have observed one headless FP that could still rage, which should be impossible.

Iirc it is possible to actually "heal" Highlanders with syringe. Would be nice if you made it impossible for syringe to activate when attempting to do so. Syringe targeting is clumsy sometimes and wasting a charge is a possibility.

The bug (?) causing zeds to attack specific player is also silly. I found myself being the only person targeted by ghosts and crawlers while I was a sniper standing on the total back of everyone. Also a friend mentioned that he once shot mini Scrake and instead of attacking him, it dashed off *somewhere*, probably towards the rest of our team that was in a completely different section of the map.

I think that's all I can think of for now. The mod is great and provides great alternative from vanilla. Thanks for creating such an awesome piece of software (to You and all the co-authors).

PS: Unless situation is really tight, I find pistols (especially Mk23, but that's probably a personal preference) to be the best tools of zed obliteration. Period.

PS2: In case someone is curious, my most common build: Special Ops, Mk23 (possibly Beretta as emergency backup), Kriss, SCAR. Pistol(s) and SMG for general purposes and assault rifle for heavy duty. The latter greatly benefits from double mag pickups. Round 1 healing and welding also helps.

Upvote 0
I don't know if this is just me and friends, but whenever I host a server, everyone except me sees Arachnas in their default model pose (as in standing upright with hands in a "T" fashion and having no animations). Today I joined this French server posted somewhere earlier and (since I was not the host anymore) I had the same problem. Didn't cause much trouble in killing them, but was kinda subtracting from the general experience.
Sounds like an animation binding problem since the summer event ended, can you give me your killingfloor.log file after a game with that happening? I'll try to get a quick fix out today or tomorrow before I leave if I can pinpoint the cause of this.

I'd always intended to do a crawler reskin for those particular specimens anyway, so the hillbilly model is really just a placeholder, but having it walking around with no animations isn't really acceptable. So I'd like to get on fixing that.

We were playing on normal with friendly-fire on and I must say that 100% is a bit too much for this mod. At least in my opinion. We found ourselves dying in single shot to nearly every ff incident. I was even killed by a single PB headshot on full health and armour, which may not seem that odd, but come on. Also all credit to our least skilled player for pulling that headshot off from the whole length of Bedlam corridor (the one left from spawn) nearly immediately after I crossed the far corner. In the end I switched ff to 50% and it seems more reasonable, especially since we tend to have at least one handyman all the time.
I've always played KF with 100% FF, so I suppose I'm probably just really used to it. It certainly teaches you to check your fire, stand in position that don't obstruct others' movement, fire at angles that don't inhibit anyone's mobility, and really makes you play different all around... but with the higher damage on weapons, I suppose friendly fire is even more of a hazard. I may consider reducing all weapon damage (and zombie hitpoints) by 50% to compensate for this. Very very lethal friendly fire is definitely an intended feature, but you may be right, it may be a bit too much given the higher damage output of weapons. Thanks for the feedback on this.

Megapounds (who despite 1st post description also appear in wave 9) have invalid hitboxes, probably using FP's ones, therefore their head is roughly where their throat is. I took several "headshots" with my sniper rifle and did not hit them at all when aiming at model's head. They did not get enraged, so I assume there are no hitboxes there.
Ah, thanks, I probably wouldn't not have otherwise noticed. I had fixed their head hit"box" (KF code actually doesn't have conventional hitboxes, it just calculates if your hit was on a reasonable trajectory to hit a head) previously but forgot to put those numbers back into a recent revision I did. I'll get this fixed pretty quickly.

Mini Scrakes are f***ing adorable. And have a rocket engine in their asses, they are SO. DAMN. FAST. I fear to imagine how they behave on HoE where everything has speed bonuses.
I've only attempted HoE a few times, they and the snatchers become an unbelievable nuisance. It's rather ridiculous since they start doing some serious damage in HoE as well.

About making Scrakes and FPs more powerful - I'd like to point out that with merely 4 players game likes to spawn even 4 FPs at once in later waves, so sure, make them somewhat more of a threat, but please don't overdo this, hmm? ^^ Or modify spawn mechanics a little or so.
Yeah, I definitely don't want to make them "fake hard" by giving them lots of HP. For the scrakes, I'll probably give them the ability to mitigate damage by deflecting anything that hits their chainsaw, and make their AI a little more interesting. With FPs, if I do wind up making them more beefy, I'll definitely make them less common. More likely I'll make them shake the player's screen when they're rage charging or something, nothing that'll make them artificially "hard" by soaking up more rounds like a sponge.

As to the Heavy Weapons Guy, I have some silly idea, but who knows, maybe that's what you've been looking for. Now bear with me, 'cause I have no idea how KF coding looks like and how hard it would be to implement this, but... how about giving him a suppressive fire ability? Now how would it work:

With only MGs (or maybe even every gun), this particular class either by normal or alternative fire will slow down zeds around the firing cone. Zeds will suffer 2% movement speed loss per each bullet fired in their whereabouts for 5 or so seconds. Effect stacks up to a fixed amount, let's say 40 or 50%. That would help in those situations when there are some heavy zeds (Megapounds?) charging at you and team's damage output is not high enough.
That is not a bad idea at all. I'll definitely test this out, it's certainly doable without too much fuss code-side.

Would be nice to have those MGs firing a bit slower btw (I found myself to be hardly able to see through all the shells flying around my screen when firing SAW), especially if suppressive fire mechanic was to be introduced or else maximum suppression will be achieved in a mere second or so.

Additional feedback about the prepper class: on normal we found it rather unnecessary since there are tons of both guns and ammo packs spawning everywhere.
Yeah, on Normal he's kind of obsolete. The higher up the difficulty goes, the more you need one. That's intended, since Normal mode is more about getting used to the mod's features and not necessarily strangling you with ammo restrictions. I think "Hard" difficulty is certainly doable with a little practice, and Suicidal is... possible, if you're really organized and good at the game. HoE, though, I think might just be out of the ballpark.

I was, however, considering making this mod reduce the spawn chance of pickups on the map... but so far, I haven't really seen a need for it. With no ammo pickups, it makes the last survivor in a wave pretty unlikely to be able to pull through heroically.

I'd also like to point out that so far I've tested quite a few guns and almost all of them are assigned to group 3. Which is super annoying when you're carrying 3 or more pieces with you (which I don't anymore because of that). How about putting the most powerful toys in slot 4 (with the exception of SMG section, they all fit in slot 3 perfectly)? Also pistols order on slot 2 is not really my favorite (I'd prefer Mk23 before Glock - which would make sense since Mk23 deals more dmg), but that's just me.
I'll put this on my todo list: ranking all weapons within their "sleeve" by damage-per-shot.

Small sidenote on behalf or realism. Headless FP I was not even shooting at was able to track me down while navigating through obstacles and in the end killed me. While this is the game mechanic and so on and so forth, it was somewhat silly for a blind and deaf dude to find me with ease. Also I have observed one headless FP that could still rage, which should be impossible.
Headless FPs have always been pretty unique in KF since their AI doesn't get put down all the way to, as it is in the code, Brains_Retarded... so they have slightly better ability to follow people around without a head when they're close. I guess I can just make them dumber, like the other zombies, when they get their head blown off. With their higher volume of spawning, I guess they don't still need that advantage.

Iirc it is possible to actually "heal" Highlanders with syringe. Would be nice if you made it impossible for syringe to activate when attempting to do so. Syringe targeting is clumsy sometimes and wasting a charge is a possibility.
Oh, so you mean you can stab them but it just wastes your charge? Sure, I'll make them invalid targets for the syringe. Just didn't want to confuse people who tried to heal him thinking their syringe is broken or something... but I suppose that's still an issue if he doesn't get healed!

The bug (?) causing zeds to attack specific player is also silly. I found myself being the only person targeted by ghosts and crawlers while I was a sniper standing on the total back of everyone. Also a friend mentioned that he once shot mini Scrake and instead of attacking him, it dashed off *somewhere*, probably towards the rest of our team that was in a completely different section of the map.
Oh, that's not a bug. Ghosts (but not crawlers, maybe you just got unlucky?) try to go after whoever's moving around the least (and thus ostensibly sniping).

I think that's all I can think of for now. The mod is great and provides great alternative from vanilla. Thanks for creating such an awesome piece of software (to You and all the co-authors).

PS: Unless situation is really tight, I find pistols (especially Mk23, but that's probably a personal preference) to be the best tools of zed obliteration. Period.

PS2: In case someone is curious, my most common build: Special Ops, Mk23 (possibly Beretta as emergency backup), Kriss, SCAR. Pistol(s) and SMG for general purposes and assault rifle for heavy duty. The latter greatly benefits from double mag pickups. Round 1 healing and welding also helps.
I think that's a very good loadout. I find most people who play tend to shy away from assault rifles because of the low ammo pool and high weight, but the Special Ops guy is perfectly suited to using them. He's also great with an AA12.

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll try to get those arachnas fixed quickly and put some of these ideas into practice when I do some more feature development.

Upvote 0
Attached file, as asked for. Also peeked inside, it's full of this:
Code:
Log: PlayAnim: Sequence 'ZombieScuttle' not found for mesh 'Stalker_Halloween'
This is from that French server btw.

About the "not bug" thing with Ghosts, etc., they tend to follow me no matter what class I am playing. Or I have such an impression at least. Since in vanilla KF it is now possible to play Berserk and be completely ignored by zeds until you hit Scrakes or FPs, I'd say there is a bug caused by latest KF update. And so I've heard from a friend. A bug that makes zed attack a specific target. Some other person mentioned it in this thread too.

Attachments

• KillingFloor.log
    523.6 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
alright, I put up a (hopeful) fix for that animation issue. with such short notice and no availability to test for net clients, i can only speculate that it is functional. however, i'm fairly sure it is! (the function which told the mesh to bind to the crawler animset was not authorized to run on net clients. it is now)

if there are any further problems with the new version, i'll have to look at it when i get back. hope this fixes the issue.

Upvote 0
Some things that came up while playing.

1. Arachnas are working, yay.

2. Nailgun / Vlad / whatever would greatly benefit from switching firing modes around. Holding LMB and pressing MMB from time to time is going to be much more comfortable than how it is now. So let's have nail machine gun on primary fire and shotty on secondary please.

3. L96 AWP drops two shells per shot for some reason. GAMEBREAKING! Anyway something to look into when you'll feel like polishing the mod.

4. I noticed some Megapounds walking backwards for some reason at one point. No idea if it is mod related in any way.

5. Shooting when crouching seems to do no damage to mini scrakes when they are point blank providing you with a haircut. Hitbox issue?

6. Again not sure if it's not a vanilla issue, but you cannot "unready" yourself in the lobby. The button is simply not there anymore.

7. Not really confirmed, but I'm pretty sure of that one. Medical shotty has fake ammo cost, at least right after you buy it. Shop states it will be 40 or so pounds for full replenish, but it takes I guess over 100. Might give more details later on if I'll have some opportunity to check it with detail.

Edit:
Med shotty indeed has weird ammo prices. Shop claims them to be 7 / 40 (when freshly bought), but it takes 40 per 'clip', so every 2 shells.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
sir surly, i need help in your mod. it always crashes.

i am using KFv1058, 2 mutators running only (your latest mod version),

when monsters spawn, it crashes
Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 1836 MHz with 3070MB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 4650 (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1) (630)

General protection fault!

History: UObject::execDelegateFunction <- (SHumanPawn KF-FrightYard.SHumanPawn @ Function ServerPerksX.SRHumanPawn.TakeDamage : 0028) <- UObject::processEvent <- (SZombieSnatch KF-FrightYard.SZombieSnatch, Function Survival.SZombieSnatch.ClawDamageTarget) <- UAnimNotify_Script::Notify <- UpdateAnimation <- AActor::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=2) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level FrightYard <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 726F6F6C 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free
when i buy from trader, it crashes
Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 1034 MHz with 3070MB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 4650 (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1) (630)

General protection fault!

History: UObject::processEvent <- (SRKFTab_BuyMenu Package.SRKFTab_BuyMenu, Function ServerPerksX.SRKFTab_BuyMenu.SaleDblClick) <- UObject::processDelegate <- UGUIComponent::performDoubleClick <- (SRBuyMenuSaleList Package.SRBuyMenuSaleList) <- UGUIComponent::MouseReleased <- (SRBuyMenuSaleList Package.SRBuyMenuSaleList) <- UGUIController::MouseReleased <- UGUIController::NativeKeyEvent::LeftMouseClick <- UGUIController::NativeKeyEvent <- UInteractionMaster::MasterProcessKeyEvent <- UEngine::InputEvent <- UWindowsViewport::CauseInputEvent <- UWindowsViewport::UpdateInput <- UViewport::ReadInput <- APlayerController::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=2) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level KF-Farm <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 726F6F6C 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

I reverted to v1049 and the mod works. Thanks Surly for this mod.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is mod working on current version of kf? And are there servers with this mod? Please someone give adress of servers with this mod if it's working.

I used to run a server with this mod, but that was quite some time ago, and I'm can't say if it will run with the current version of KF; however, this mod relies on a modified version of ServerPerks, so logically any (mod-breaking) bugs that affected ServerPerks <7.x will most likely be present in this mod.

Surly hasn't been around for a while, so I'm not sure I'd count on updates any time soon.

Upvote 0
Cool, I might check this out seeing how I run a friendly fire only server(s)....hee hee, so this mod could fit the bill!

EDIT: Aww can't even download it.... error 403....? :(

EDIT2: Ok, lets start: If you're just taking armor damage, you don't crash, but as soon as you take health damage, you DO crash; server crashed when I intentionally got myself to be vomited on by a bloat but client did not; I changed characters thinking the mod could be old enough that it might have not recognize these newer characters present and that did not change anything; I've tried to change the event zeds from Sumer sideshow to none at all, so stock zeds thinking it could be an event issue as I've previously met with my testings with other muts and mods and that did not change anything; and finally I have tried killing myself and apparently the results vary.....from a client crash to a team wipe........

So it looks like unless this mod is updated.........this mod is broken....and unfortunately will not be added to my collection......as much as I like the direction of this mod......☹

Dr_Killjoy;n1898676 said:
Is mod working on current version of kf? And are there servers with this mod? Please someone give adress of servers with this mod if it's working.

PotentiaLeaena;n1911994 said:
I used to run a server with this mod, but that was quite some time ago, and I'm can't say if it will run with the current version of KF; however, this mod relies on a modified version of ServerPerks, so logically any (mod-breaking) bugs that affected ServerPerks <7.x will most likely be present in this mod.

Surly hasn't been around for a while, so I'm not sure I'd count on updates any time soon.

Nope, just tried and it's broken.....read above for my observation....

Apparently if you revert back to v1049 as according to this guy's post:

zhidd;n1891029 said:
I reverted to v1049 and the mod works. Thanks Surly for this mod.

it works fine but I haven't tried this yet nor know how to revert back to that specific version....

Last edited:
Upvote 0