Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

[Concept/WIP] Alien Swarm UT24k mode for KF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Concept/WIP] Alien Swarm UT24k mode for KF

UPDATES!

Alien Swarm 2K4 Marine Pack V1 released!

DOWNLOAD:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?oabb728abs9yjn5

.U FILES FOR ALIEN SWARM MARINES
    http://www.mediafire.com/?cxdmzodxd71nrra

IMPORTANT: Do not use these at the same time as the .upl files. I don't know what will happen but it sure won't be good.

Also, Crash's name is now IAF_Private_Crash instead of IAF_Private_Crash_Murphy. Easier to type.

CustomCharacters=IAF_Sergeant_Conrad
    CustomCharacters=IAF_Corporal_Jaeger
    CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Wolfe
    CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Bastille
    CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Crash
    CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Flynn
    CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Faith
    CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Wildcat

CHARACTERS:

TOP ROW FROM LEFT: Sergeant Conrad, Corporal Jaeger, Private Wildcat, Private Wolfe
    BOTTOM ROW FROM LEFT: Private Faith, Private Bastille, Private Crash, Private Flynn

PORTRAITS (from Alien Swarm UT24K

SCREENSHOT:

HOW TO USE -2 METHODS-

I. CLIENT SIDE
    The archive contains a folder with replacement .upl files.

Simply copy the .upl file with the name of the character you want replaced and paste it into your System folder. Then, simply use the character whose .upl was replaced and the new skin should show up instead.

Also, using this method means that these skins will be used by bots with Marco's KF Bots mutator.

II. SERVER SIDE
    Use Marco's ServerPerks V5 or Flux's Custom Character Enabler (I personally go with ServerPerks)

1. Open ServerPerksV5.ini using Notepad (or whatever you use)
    2. Copy and paste these lines at the bottom of the document

CustomCharacters=IAF_Sergeant_Conrad
    CustomCharacters=IAF_Corporal_Jaeger
    CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Wolfe
    CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Bastille
    CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Crash
    CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Flynn
    CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Faith
    CustomCharacters=IAF_Private_Wildcat

3. Run a server with ServerPerksV5 active
    4. Choose the characters in the pre-game lobby
    5. PLAY.

UPDATE

IAF 22A3-1 Assault Rifle Released!

DOWNLOAD V2 by Gartley:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?x7erwlukfbd4fu2

Special thanks to Hemi and Braindead for letting me use their M41A Pulse Rifle mod as a base and Gartley for fixing the dependencies and shell emitters.

Includes weapon selection icons and trader icons.

To use, grab Marco's ServerPerks or the CustomTrader Mut and use this classname:

AlienSwarm2k4WeaponsMod.IAFARPickup

It should show up in the Trader then. Or you could use the included Mutator "IAF 22A3-1 AR Mutator" to spawn with it.

UPDATE

Alien Drone Zed Test Release!

DOWNLOAD

http://www.mediafire.com/?tqy5619zycvts5q

Faster and tougher clot-based Zeds for Alien Swarm fans!

Simply use the "Alien Swarm" mutator to spawn loadsa drones.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated!

Portraits, textures and helmet and Drone models by Black Cat Games.

ORIGINAL POST:
    I did this because they look badass and I love powered armor in general (with some exceptions.) The marines in the Source release looked more like one-color LEGO men. xD

The UT24K version of Alien Swarm by Black Cat Games had the marines simply using the Juggernaut bodies from vanilla UT with modified textures. The Telic expansion included an option to use helmets.

Example:

Been playing the mod a lot lately and I've found that it has a crapton of similarities to KF in terms of mechanics with a few exceptions like objective-based missions and such. Now, with the proliferation of mission/story maps, those exceptions are slowly decreasing.

Here are the most striking parallels:
    1. Coop-based gameplay (Your team against the Swarm/Horde)
    2. Character specializations (marine types, perks)
    3. Welding (same purpose, different execution)
    4. Extremely addictive (do not deny it!)

Now I am sort of interested in playing a game (or story map) of KF but with Alien Swarm characters and aliens as specimens, aesthetically speaking. If you can imagine an excellent mission map like Obsidian or Horzine Bunker and put it on a derelict spaceship while you and your guys are suited up in power armor... well, I think that speaks for itself.

*cough* SPACE HULK *cough*

Most of the things missing from KF I've already seen hanging around in the modding community. They're possible and can be executed properly for the first person shooter that is KF.

For the concept, the things that would still need to be done would be the following:

1. Ammo bag
    2. Sentry Gun (code exists, just needs a proper model)
    3. Weapons and equipment (assault rifles, autoguns, etc)
    4. Aliens as specimens (Faster and more numerous than specimens, plus parasites and infestation)
    5. Story Maps

I can probably do most of these myself, now that I can edit and import models with convenience. As for coding, I've been reading up on it a lot lately and I can ask for help here if I'm stumped. As for maps, well, I'm not a mapper. I can learn, but if you want to help, my thanks.

Anyway, just want to see what you guys think of the concept as well as root out any players of the UT24K mod.
    Thanks to Black Cat Games for making the epic mod.
    Last edited by thefirewarriors; 05-13-2012, 09:24 PM.
    "Is it dead, Jim?"

If you could make a seperate gametype for this, this would be a good idea. Other then that it will seem a little pointless. I hope you get a few maps going with the up top view to help get the feeling right.

www.fluxiservice.com - Friendly, supportive game server host awaiting your arrival.
    >> My Custom Content Archive <<

Comment

Interesting idea.

@Flux, what you said made me laugh. The 'new' alien swarm was amusing because people modded it so they could play it first person XDD
      Whisky's Workshop
      "As you can see here, I'm -ALL ON MY F***ING OWN! Guys where the hell are you?!"

Comment

Originally posted by FluX View Post
        If you could make a seperate gametype for this, this would be a good idea. Other then that it will seem a little pointless. I hope you get a few maps going with the up top view to help get the feeling right.
        Yes, a new gametype would be preferable but I was thinking more on keeping it an FPS for regular KF-style survival games and mission maps like Obsidian. Some of the changes would just be aesthetic (character skins) while others change gameplay (AS weapons and aliens.) other than that, KF would be unchanged.

I don't think it's pointless...

Oh btw, I haven't encountered this question before but can zeds be coded to walk on walls or ceilings? or is that limited to the mapmaking process?
        "Is it dead, Jim?"

Comment

It is doable, just not very easy.
          Whisky's Workshop
          "As you can see here, I'm -ALL ON MY F***ING OWN! Guys where the hell are you?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gartley View Post
            It is doable, just not very easy.
            Isn't everything?

Right now I'm working on getting most of the marines in. Then I'll start on the weapons.
            "Is it dead, Jim?"

Comment

Awesome! would be a welcomed addition to the DS mod for instance and / or addon zeds... why not? I can see Horzine (or Umbrella) working with alien lifeforms for military/medical reason ****e happens and all heck breaks loose!

Make each alien a separate addon for testing, like the brute addon for instance; and same for the player models and guns.

Then when everything is working and balanced, release a gametype mod that will tie all the aliens, guns and models into a mod. Would be easy for you to get feedback.

I suggest working with the members here on this forum. You should play the DS mod from WPC to see how fantastic that gametype is on a FPS engine. Just need maps.

Oh yeh, port the AS maps as well!

And +1 for AS to be viewed from 1st/3rd view.
              Last edited by Valken; 05-06-2012, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Yeah, the dead space servers were exactly why I want to do this. I plan to release stuff one at a time, characters first, then an alien drone for testing, and then weapons and equipment, then the rest of the aliens.

I'm saving most of the aliens for last because I think they'll be the hardest to get done.

EDIT: Got Sarge, Wolfe and Bastille in along with Jaeger. They have their own portraits and bios from the UT24k mod.

Vanity shot of Sarge on KF-Doom3 with Hemi's M41 Pulse Rifle:

Oh btw, while digging through the Alien Swarm .ukx files, I found a near-complete model of a Colonial Marine from Aliens. The only thing missing is the texture...
                Last edited by thefirewarriors; 05-06-2012, 08:56 AM.
                "Is it dead, Jim?"

Comment

Originally posted by thefirewarriors View Post
                  Yeah, the dead space servers were exactly why I want to do this. I plan to release stuff one at a time, characters first, then an alien drone for testing, and then weapons and equipment, then the rest of the aliens.

I'm saving most of the aliens for last because I think they'll be the hardest to get done.

EDIT: Got Sarge, Wolfe and Bastille in along with Jaeger. They have their own portraits and bios from the UT24k mod.

Vanity shot of Sarge on KF-Doom3 with Hemi's M41 Pulse Rifle:

Oh btw, while digging through the Alien Swarm .ukx files, I found a near-complete model of a Colonial Marine from Aliens. The only thing missing is the texture...
                  all ready made one
                  [URL="http://steamcommunity.com/id/hemicrania/myworkshopfiles?appid=1250"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]

Comment

Originally posted by Hemi View Post
                    all ready made one
                    But I haven't.

I jest. I am giddy with anticipation for the day I acquire it. Sadly, with the internet I have, I can't play on the WPC servers, or any online server for the matter. That's why my team usually consists of close friends on a LAN. xD
                    "Is it dead, Jim?"

Comment

You should TRY to get onto WPC's DS or any of their servers. The players there are total coop team players. I have a good connection but due to my location, I still have a high ping but team work helps out there.

Would be impressive to see some AS, Aliens and DS content on one server.

Comment

Yeah, I tried already. It's not connection speed that's the problem, the problem is that the connection frequently gets interrupted which leads to frustration when I am still downloading and then gets disco'd.

Thanks anyway.

OP updated.

Btw, might it be possible to add a whirr-click powered-armor sound effect while running without overwriting the default footstep sounds?
                        Last edited by thefirewarriors; 05-06-2012, 12:35 PM.
                        "Is it dead, Jim?"

Comment

Maybe it's just because i'm Korean, but the marines immediately reminded me of Starcraft xD
                          Anyway, those models and textures look really good, but a bit blocky

Comment

Originally posted by notshekki View Post
                            Maybe it's just because i'm Korean, but the marines immediately reminded me of Starcraft xD
                            Anyway, those models and textures look really good, but a bit blocky
                            Yeah, they do. I like them that way. xD

The models are from vanilla UT24k. Black Cat Games, the makers of the Alien Swarm mod, created the helmets. I simply ported them (plus copious amounts of cut and paste to get the textures to cooperate with Unreal Ed.)

UPDATE

Character pack released. Check OP for link.
                            Last edited by thefirewarriors; 05-07-2012, 10:32 AM.
                            "Is it dead, Jim?"

Comment

In a bit of a willy here and I need a way out.

I'm currently trying to port the Assault Rifle from UT2003 because it is the same model as the one in Alien Swarm.

The exporting went okay and I got it in-game but apparently the game thinks the weapon is the sleeves and the sleeves are the weapon. How do I fix this?

I'm using Maya btw. Can't do squat with 3dsmax. xD

It's named the M41A because I temporarily overwrote the .ukx for Hemi's M41A weapon in order to test it since the two weapons are similar to each other. That'll hopefully be changed when I finish it.
                              Last edited by thefirewarriors; 05-08-2012, 12:59 AM.
                              "Is it dead, Jim?"

Comment

Working...
                              X