• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Concept/WIP] Alien Swarm UT24k mode for KF

Hah! Never thought of that! Nice!

So even if it's from an UT2K4 mod, I still have to re-rig/re-animate it?

You dont have to re-animate. You can use the KF zed animations. Though this model will prob look a bit weird with those. Alternatively you can make your own death animation for the model and play that when the zed dies...instead of using KF's awsome ragdolls. Slavek might be able to help you more with this since his reaver looks allot like this monster.

The deadspace zeds were all humanoid to a certain extend, so it was easy rigging these to the TWI bones.

Upvote 0
If you cant affort 3ds max start by downloading a trial of 3DS max 2009 and after each expire date, just move one version up. That alone will give you 4x a 30 day trail lol.

Or just install free VMWare Player and install a trial copy of windows. Takes about 15 to 20 minutes. Then install 3ds max. When the 30 day trial is up, delete the vm image and reinstall.

Upvote 0
You dont have to re-animate. You can use the KF zed animations. Though this model will prob look a bit weird with those. Alternatively you can make your own death animation for the model and play that when the zed dies...instead of using KF's awsome ragdolls. Slavek might be able to help you more with this since his reaver looks allot like this monster.

The deadspace zeds were all humanoid to a certain extend, so it was easy rigging these to the TWI bones.

Ah, I see. I guess I could rig it to the clot skeleton and then just adjust weights of the bones to maintain their regular pose. Trial-and-error. Great.

I'll see what I can do and report back later.

Upvote 0
This is really well done.

Cool, though that disappearing act when you restarted the map bothered me a little. Do all custom characters do that?

UPDATE: I've succeeded in rigging it up to the TWI skeleton (tho very crudely.) What do I do next? I've already written up a .uc file using the clot as base. How do I change the hitboxes?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cool, though that disappearing act when you restarted the map bothered me a little. Do all custom characters do that?

UPDATE: I've succeeded in rigging it up to the TWI skeleton (tho very crudely.) What do I do next? I've already written up a .uc file using the clot as base. How do I change the hitboxes?

get those from the ZombieClotBase

Explore a little lol

Upvote 0
get those from the ZombieClotBase

Explore a little lol

Haha yeah, a little late for that:
Shot00145.jpg

Not pictured: my squeals of abject terror... that is, until I found out that they couldn't deal any damage at all.

I already edited the ZombieClot.uc and ZombieClotBase.uc as well as putting in a DronesOnly mutator.

Just need to tweak the mesh a little bit more. It's floating a few inches off the ground. xD

Upvote 0
Haha yeah, a little late for that:
Shot00145.jpg

Not pictured: my squeals of abject terror... that is, until I found out that they couldn't deal any damage at all.

I already edited the ZombieClot.uc and ZombieClotBase.uc as well as putting in a DronesOnly mutator.

Just need to tweak the mesh a little bit more. It's floating a few inches off the ground. xD

Damn son, that was quick work. Looks really cool too!

edit.

if they are hovering, mess around with the collision values in the code and that should fix it. Benjamin has a great mutator that allows you to see the collision meshes in game, so this will pinpoint what you need to adjust.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Quick and dirty, more like. Thanks.

Specimen collision viewer. I'll play around with it for a while and report back once I get something done.

anyway, have another screenie, this time on a more fitting map. Still doing no damage though. :(

Shot00147.jpg

EDIT: Hrmmm, tweaked the collision offset in the .uc but no cigar. Is it the higher the z value, the higher it floats or vice versa? Also, how can I speed up the anims similar to the FP on rage mode? They're too slow right now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok damage, is set in the notifications tab in the animation browser, check out the clot and you will see the notifies.

and you can speed the animation in there too by going to sequence properties.

the lower the value, the slower the anim.

Hmmm, not sure on the collision. Can't remember of the bat which way it is.

Attachments

• Damage.jpg
    Damage.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok damage, is set in the notifications tab in the animation browser, check out the clot and you will see the notifies.

and you can speed the animation in there too by going to sequence properties.

the lower the value, the slower the anim.

Hmmm, not sure on the collision. Can't remember of the bat which way it is.

Nice! That's exactly what I was looking for. Working sorta fine now. In fact, I'm doing a test release for feedback into balancing. Suggestions and feedback is critical.

They function like faster, tougher clots at the moment and still don't have custom sounds.

OP UPDATED WITH DOWNLOAD LINK

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IAF 22A3-1 Assault Rifle Released!

Feedback -

Model in 3rd person looks good and First person

AIM model is very high blocking front view. Its like its too high and a bit too close. I am not sure if is the scale of the model but you may want to play around with it and size it down from 10%-15% in iron sight mode.

I believe WPC's M41a is the same in that iron sight mode the gun looks like it is aim UP instead of straight ahead and is a fairly big. I've held a 1:1 airsoft version of the M41a (based off a thompson SMG just like the movie prop) and its not that big. I will see if I can take some pictures of the gun from IS mode for you guys.

The firerate and grenade mode is awesome. I know the smg is a short barrel rifle so full auto fire spread is fairly good in this configuration. A welcome addition to the M41A.

Sounds are muffled for me in first person mode. Both bullet fire and grenade launch sounds. If I switch to third person mode, the sounds are perfect. I am not sure if its the sound file or if its is because I am using an EAX enabled headset.

Also, any chance to add a laser sighting or enable flashlight mode on this? Sucks to go into a dark corridor, enable flashlight and go back to pistol. I would think space marines would have light augmented weapons in the future.

Upvote 0
Feedback -

Model in 3rd person looks good and First person

AIM model is very high blocking front view. Its like its too high and a bit too close. I am not sure if is the scale of the model but you may want to play around with it and size it down from 10%-15% in iron sight mode.

I believe WPC's M41a is the same in that iron sight mode the gun looks like it is aim UP instead of straight ahead and is a fairly big. I've held a 1:1 airsoft version of the M41a (based off a thompson SMG just like the movie prop) and its not that big. I will see if I can take some pictures of the gun from IS mode for you guys.

The firerate and grenade mode is awesome. I know the smg is a short barrel rifle so full auto fire spread is fairly good in this configuration. A welcome addition to the M41A.

Sounds are muffled for me in first person mode. Both bullet fire and grenade launch sounds. If I switch to third person mode, the sounds are perfect. I am not sure if its the sound file or if its is because I am using an EAX enabled headset.

Also, any chance to add a laser sighting or enable flashlight mode on this? Sucks to go into a dark corridor, enable flashlight and go back to pistol. I would think space marines would have light augmented weapons in the future.

Thanks for the feedback. Now to address those points.

Yes, the aim model is too high. I've been trying to experiment with scopes and scope texture codes in the .uc files in order to give it that zoomed in window you get with the crossbow if you set scope detail to low instead of model to represent a gun-camera or something, but it's been slow going since I'm quite new to the coding aspect. I'll get it fixed when I can.

As for flashlights, I've actually tried copying some lines of code from the shotgun but it keeps giving me a crash. I'll get back on that once I fix the aiming.

I don't know what's the deal with the sounds. I've played with the settings a bajillion times already and the first person sounds still aren't loud enough.

I'll take another look at it and you should expect a new update by tonight.

Upvote 0
I don't think I'll be able to, probably. The voice sets in Alien Swarm aren't as extensive as in Killing Floor. As it is, it's on a low priority as of now.

UPDATE:

I'm holding off coding work on the zeds and weapons as of now. That part of it is too complicated for me alone. I will be making cosmetic updates and such but ya'll are free to modify it as you please.

Last edited:
Upvote 0