• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Version Mismatches and You

Naming Conventions
To aid in avoiding version mismatches there are some simple naming conventions for packages I think will help, this are simply guidlines and a lot of modders follow something similar already.

Prefixes
Weap - Weapons
Mob - New zeds and monsters
Mut - Mutators

Suffixes
_T – Texture
_A – Animations
_SM – Static Animations
_S – Sounds

Additional
The adding of a unique identifier. For example the modder’s initials or name:
IJCWeaponPack-WhiteV27 – Ivan & Jack Carver <- Includes a version number as well.
WhiskyColt – Whisky aka Gartley (me!)
BDHuntingRifleFinal – BrainDead

So if I were to say edit ServerPerks to my taste I could (and should) rename the package to “WServerPerksV1”

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Would be even better if the Russian modders are notified of this thread (they do make a lot of the nice guns you see, so they are somewhat VIPs, and that they probably wouldn't know or be able to understand unless someone translates it to them) so that everyone can make sure that there would be no version mismatch due to not following standards (i.e. the texture file for the Bastard Sword made by the Russians is named Bastard_T, while the texture for the WPC Bastard mod is also named Bastard_T as well).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know ill be more unique in the future... Recently russian modders released a sword named "Bastard"... and one of my zeds is called this way.(www.mostimpressive.nl/TheBastard)

Ill be updating all the zeds soon and will name the mutators something with Hemi lol.
Try renaming into TheHemi ^^.and yeah hate also server mismatches ,because every mismatche I have to delete file in cache.ini .

Upvote 0
Absolutely do not care about version mismatch because all files are downloaded to the cache folder.

What if a client has the weapon installed. He will get a mismatch(because you edited it) and will be unable to join your server...and will join a different one instead...one that renames its packages or has the original mods. Ergo...you lost your client forever.

All modders should care about mismatches. This way things will stay clean and by the book.

Upvote 0
@3xzet

If a client has a mod installed then it causes a mismatch, if they are simply jumping between servers and don't have it installed then yes, you are right it will just download the different version into the cache.

As for the naming conventions it is simply an idea, you don't have to use it. Although I should mention each package for a mods assets needs a unique name, ie can't have texture and animations both named "MyWeapon", suffixes are pretty much a must.

And true, he didn't probably didn't know about the zed but if Hemi had named his 'MobBastard' or 'MIBastard' and the other guy 'WeapBastard' or simply 'BastardSword' then there would have been no problems at all.

I can't make you use, or even care about, a naming convention or potential mismatches for that matter, it's just simply an idea in light of a lot of mismatches I've been hearing about in the community. Not just the few posts around here. (Which is to many IMHO)

*Edit*
Oh, and a classic example of this would be my Colt Python that has been edited heavily on the killingfloor.ru boards. Not one person renamed the packages (that I could tell, I can't read Russian and I swear Google takes the piss when translating) So anyone that had installed those files that tried to join a server running my version would have problems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Absolutely do not care about version mismatch because all files are downloaded to the cache folder.

There is a few exceptions to that:
1: If you directly jump from server to another server with same mod that has different version you will get version mismatch even if you don't have the mod installed.
2: Some custom contents like menus (depending on how poorly they are written) or sounds (due to a memory bug in KF) it'll keep the mods in memory at all time until you restart. So if you play in a server with one version, you will always get a mismatch when trying to join another server with different version.

So in conclussion only way to keep off all version mismatch errors is to install no mods and reboot KF before every time you switch servers.

Upvote 0
@ Marco - Wouldn't renaming the files fix that?

EG: BastardWEPmod and BastardZedMut would never conflict even if still held in memory since hash and name are different correct?

EG 2: Serverperksv5 and Serverperksv5modded should not conflict even if they are the same exact files/hash with different names?

Or would KF (UT Engine 2.5) conflict due to memory issues regardless of naming?

I just wanted to clarify that since I know KF/UT holds memory from game to game which results in large memory usage/leakage and possible crashing due to windows swap files and stuff.

Restarting KF in those instances does help it, but again, it is a pain in the arse for players.

Upvote 0
@ Marco - Wouldn't renaming the files fix that?

EG: BastardWEPmod and BastardZedMut would never conflict even if still held in memory since hash and name are different correct?

True

EG 2: Serverperksv5 and Serverperksv5modded should not conflict even if they are the same exact files/hash with different names?

True (Although the chances of them having the same GUID would be slim)

Or would KF (UT Engine 2.5) conflict due to memory issues regardless of naming?

I just wanted to clarify that since I know KF/UT holds memory from game to game which results in large memory usage/leakage and possible crashing due to windows swap files and stuff.

I think you'd have to do ALOT of server hopping before you'd reach that point.

Restarting KF in those instances does help it, but again, it is a pain in the arse for players.

The renaming or naming convention suggestion is a way of preventing mismatches. If both Hemi and the author of the bastard sword changed the names, there would be no version mismatching as I exampled in the OP.

Upvote 0

do not care

agree

do not care

I think he did not even know about this Zed.

Another example would be the number of RPG and PPSH mod versions (which I do believe you guys did a good job) circulating on the Russian forums as the RPG mod now has two different texture versions and the PPSH mod has more additions to the texture files.

What I do suggest is that someone should clean up the weapon mods archive thread, and update the thread as needed (I wouldn't mind doing this, to be honest, but it would require all the modders to post the latest versions, if not final, of their mods).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A) 3xzet - another issue is that a LOT of players don't know to clear their cache. individualizing a package/file takes all of a second of thought and a few seconds of typing, no reason not to.

B) when did this bastard zed pop up? never seen him before :(

Its a very old ****ty zed. I made it because I wanted the Patty's stupid brother in it lol. Apparently people still liked it, cous I never announced it on these boards. At some point ill release some sort of page were all these zeds are present. :)

Upvote 0
A) 3xzet - another issue is that a LOT of players don't know to clear their cache. individualizing a package/file takes all of a second of thought and a few seconds of typing, no reason not to.

B) when did this bastard zed pop up? never seen him before :(

And I am sure it ain't hard to just add a Wep prefix to every file and then fix up the .uc files as well. In addition, it would be great if you guys update your weapon muts as a whole and remove any old editions, instead of just putting out updates by changing one or two files, which is what you did for PPSH, RPG-7, VSS. This will standardize the whole mutator downloading system and will make the lives of a lot of server owners and players (and including those in your Russian Community) very easier.

Bastard Sword Thread: made in April 2012
Bastard Mut: made in September 2011

While you are saying that the maker himself never heard of it, wouldn't it make more sense if the mut (bastard sword) was named as BastardSword, rather than just "Bastard"? Do you not agree?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It may not look very elegant but how about prefixing the mutator name with the original creation (or perhaps current release) date? Like for example:

120505_Bastard_001.u

That way at least it's very unlikely that someone will make a package with the same name on the exact same date you decide to make one.

It also means that you know a) how long the mod has been going (if you use the original date) or b) how recent your version is.

Upvote 0