• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Mod] Specimen versus

Marco

Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2009
Finland
Name
Specimen versus modification
Version
Compatibility
This mod does not work with any custom specimen yet (other from Doom 2 ones). Nor it does not work with my standard ServerPerks modification, however you can download ServerPerks add-on mutator from below which works just fine.
Description
This modification started as a fix from BlackCheetah's mod but eventually led to I had to rewrite everything from scratch.
You can run this mod in 2 different modes (you can toggle this on WebAdmin under Defaults > Server > Full VS mode):

1: Team vs mode, players may join the blue (specimen's) team and take control of any specimen in the level they like (except for Patriarch).
2: There are no teams, dead players can simply take control of specimen in wave and either aid or fight against them.

Players on "specimen team" are like spectators but can see players through walls as red dots and specimen as green, to take control of the specimen simply aim at them and tap [Fire].
As a specimen you have a night vision and see players through walls as red dots (yay for wallhacking).
Several of the specimen have a primary fire mode (melee attacks) and an alternative fire mode (special moves), some of them even have a charge meter which can be time based or damage based which controls the use of special moves.
Credits
TheBlackCheetah for the original mod idea.
WPC clan, Lethal_Vortex and XJ5 for beta testing.
Download
KFMonsterVS (v 1.6) - Main files needed to run this mod:
You can run this game from game selection menu by selecting "Team VS KF" or launching server with URL ?Game=KFMonsterVS.VSGame.

ServerPerks add-on (v 1.6) - ServerPerks fix to run with this game mode (and this game mode only, do not run this mutator with any other game modes!). Do not run standard ServerPerks mutator together with this one, only "Server Vet Handler VS Fix" (or VSServerPerksMut.VSSPerksMut in URL line).

Version history
v1.6:
- Made 6 first players of the server visibility aura to be always visible for specimen players.
- Fixed invisible zeds problem.
- Removed the built-in bot support with the mod, if you want bots, use the far more superior KF bots mod I've made.
- Changed so that you can toggle night vision of zeds by pressing your flashlight key (while you are playing as a zed).
v1.5:
- Changed all specimen players to show their view over the head as behindview, to give you a better clue what animation you are playing.
- Fixed a bug where AI specimen would deal double damage.
- Modified FleshPound players automatically rage from having a player in line of sight.
- Added hit sounds so that you know that you actually managed to hit players as a specimen (indicated by *Donk* sound).
- Made Patriarch a playable character (you can disable this from KFMonsterVS.ini, and delete line "PossessablePawns=AwesomePat").
- Made Husk and Patriarch have a crosshair when you play as them.
- Fixed movement animations for Crawler players when walking on walls.
- Made Crawler players non-solid so that you don't get their strange Engine physics error where you make an ultra high jump from walking into another pawn.
- Made so that you can have more than 6 max players.
- Made specimen vision player location indicators fade between colors to show players health (100 HP = green, 75 HP = yellow, 25 HP = red), so that you know which one to attack first.
v1.0:
- Initial release.​

Last edited:
Marco you have outdone yourself once again! My community has always wanted a more improved version of the beta mod that was already out (seriously there was a HUGE amount of bugs) but it was playable to have fun against each other. Now your system is going to be much much better as (if I read rightly) it will be a normal game but allow you to take control of the zed you are viewing?

I can tell you this is one gametype that will go far within KF.

Upvote 0
I copy/pasted both of your provided downloads into my system file and only the perk one shows up in my mutator list.. There's no mutator showing for the VS mode.

I guess this comes down to me asking how to make a dedicated server to run this with only one computer?? Idk where to even start with being able to play this

Upvote 0
ps. can you add this to show as a mutator for the listen server as well ?
Impossible to make this mod work as mutator but for listen play you can start it as standard KF, after map started you can bring down console and write in following command:
Open KF-Manor?Game=KFMonsterVS.VSGame?Listen
That will switch map to Manor with the game mode active.

Upvote 0
Impossible to make this mod work as mutator but for listen play you can start it as standard KF, after map started you can bring down console and write in following command:

Thanks, if i want to change between the two mode, what do i need to change ? (for listen)

Upvote 0

This would work for single? you could play against bots, using the bots (Marco) mod

Code:
class SPVSGameMut extends mutator;

function postBeginPlay()
{
local string currentmap;

if(VSGame(level.game)==none)
    {
    currentmap=GetURLMap(false);

level.servertravel("?game=KFMonsterVS.VSGame",true);

}
}

defaultproperties
{

GroupName="KF-VSGame"
     FriendlyName="Killing Floor VS Mod"
     Description="Allows Single Player Versus Gametype"
}
not sure whether it would work for a listen though, i'll have a test,

*Edit just tested and it works fine on Listen server as well

Hope it helps?

Last edited:
Reactions: Demon_333
Upvote 0
This would work for single? you could play against bots, using the bots (Marco) mod

Code:
class SPVSGameMut extends mutator;

function postBeginPlay()
{
local string currentmap;

if(VSGame(level.game)==none)
    {
    currentmap=GetURLMap(false);

level.servertravel("?game=KFMonsterVS.VSGame",true);

}
}

defaultproperties
{

GroupName="KF-VSGame"
     FriendlyName="Killing Floor VS Mod"
     Description="Allows Single Player Versus Gametype"
}
not sure whether it would work for a listen though, i'll have a test,

*Edit just tested and it works fine on Listen server as well

Hope it helps?

Thanks, it's working likes a charm ! anyway, how can i change to the second mode =,= ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey Marco. Im trying to adjust your VSServerPerks Fix onto my version of your mutator. I keep getting an error when compiling:

Code:
Analyzing...
Superclass VSHUD of class VSHUDKillingFloor not found
History: UMakeCommandlet::Main
Exiting due to error

How can I fix this? I would try but I have no idea what to do as i've never had this error before.

EDIT: Also will the stuff I said before be taking into consideration and get a new version out?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey Marco. Im trying to adjust your VSServerPerks Fix onto my version of your mutator. I keep getting an error when compiling:

Code:
Analyzing...
Superclass VSHUD of class VSHUDKillingFloor not found
History: UMakeCommandlet::Main
Exiting due to error
How can I fix this? I would try but I have no idea what to do as i've never had this error before.

EDIT: Also will the stuff I said before be taking into consideration and get a new version out?

add both mutator to the editpackage ...

Upvote 0