• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Mutator] Christmas Zeds for KF-EvilSantasLair

Benjamin

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2009
France
Christmas Zeds for KF-EvilSantasLair

Sorry, but since it's coming up to Christmas I've decided to remove the files to give TWI the option to decide whether people should be playing with these specimens or not.

You knew someone would make it, and here it is. Been experimenting with it the past few days and it seems I've solved the freezing issue when new specimens spawn, which is an added bonus.

Why only for KF-EvilSantasLair? Because I agree with many others that if we saw them all the time they would become stale, and I feel they fit this map more than others. I'm going to apply for this to be put on the greylist (and the greylist only), since I know that TWI do not want to whitelist such a mutator.

Additionally, I'd like to point out that all of the christmas media files were removed in the latest update, and you will need to download and install the copy of the files I backed up. I assume TWI have no problem with me redistributing these files, but if so I will take them down and there will be no mutator (and I will cry).

How To Enable

You have two options for adding these christmas zeds to the game:

1. Use the included mutator. This switches to an extended gametype when the christmas map is detected, which uses the christmas specimens and performs preloading in the same way the christmas update did, as well as manually preloading all specimens. When the mutator is disabled or another map is switched to, the gametype is switched back to KFMod.KFGameType. You do not need to add anything to serverpackages.

2. Add ChristmasZeds and KFChar_XMAS to serverpackages and enable sandbox mode. Alter the sandbox configuration to use these specimens:

Code:
    KFChar_XMAS.ZombieClot_XMas
    KFChar_XMAS.ZombieCrawler_XMas
    KFChar_XMAS.ZombieGoreFast_XMas
    KFChar_XMAS.ZombieStalker_XMas
    KFChar_XMAS.ZombieScrake_XMas
    KFChar_XMAS.ZombieFleshpound_XMas
    KFChar_XMAS.ZombieBloat_XMas
    KFChar_XMAS.ZombieSiren_XMas
    KFChar_XMAS.ZombieHusk_XMas
Note that you cannot replace the boss with the christmas patriarch; this is a limitation of sandbox mode.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
@Braindead:

I understand your concern, but I and certain others feel that TWI have put too much effort into these zeds for them to be put away for a year, and possibly not brought out again (who knows how popular this game is going to be in a year's time?).

I've just spoken to Yoshiro about it and he says it's not a problem, although they'll never whitelist or greylist it, which is fair. To be honest considering the fact that it's on a map that many players won't play so often (since it's challenging) and the fact that the media files are huge, it's probably not going to be used a lot. I just wanted to throw the mutator out there since I knew someone probably would, and at least this one limits it to a single map.

Again, TWI, if you do change your minds in the future and would rather this mutator didn't exist I'll take it down. Just couldn't let all that work to go to waste, since some of us really enjoy the wacky skins and voices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tried it and everything seems dandy. Fine work.

Just as a thought, however, even though it's not your responsibility, I think it would have been appropriate to fix the Christmas Siren not playing her correct Xmas "talk" lines. Since the Twisted Christmas event began, the Christmas Siren has simply been using the original Siren dialog, leaving the new speech lines in her sound package completely unused and basically just wasting space. Since TWI isn't going to grey/whitelist this mutator, it seems like it would be a harmless fix to make.

Upvote 0
Tried it and everything seems dandy. Fine work.

Just as a thought, however, even though it's not your responsibility, I think it would have been appropriate to fix the Christmas Siren not playing her correct Xmas "talk" lines. Since the Twisted Christmas event began, the Christmas Siren has simply been using the original Siren dialog, leaving the new speech lines in her sound package completely unused and basically just wasting space. Since TWI isn't going to grey/whitelist this mutator, it seems like it would be a harmless fix to make.

Ah, I didn't even realise she had her own lines. I'll look into it, thanks!

Upvote 0
The only reason I suspect on why they won't whitelist it is the possibility of getting xmas achievements that involve the xmas zeds and unlocking the Bad Santa skin
actually, Yosh explained it entirely; he said that they felt that having the option to use them year-round would spoil them from being special during their official release. Or that was the official reason, anyways

Upvote 0
Go into your Killing Floor folder. Default C:/Program Files/Steam/Steamapps/common/killingfloor). Each file has an extension, place them in the proper folders.

.ukx files go into Animation folder.
.uax go into Sound Folder
.u/.ucl/.Int go into System folder.
.usx Go into Staticmeshes folder.
.utx Go into Textures Folder.

Once all files are in place, you can go ingame and select the proper mutator from the mutator list.

Last edited:
Upvote 0