• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Simple modding player model aka Characters

Ordinary soldier

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2011
Hello I would like to ask, is it possible to "copy" shapes (group of polygons) from one skeletal mesh to another using 3ds max?

I am asking because I need to do a simple modification/fix of player character.

Everything I need is set up and ready. I have the psk files. I read that in order to import psk in 3dsmax I need plug-in called ActorX. Which version of 3dsMax and Actorx will you recommend me? Also any tutorials or advices?

The ukx files I am working with are very small, since they use Vanilla Animation sets, like the original characters.
Thus when exporting from ukx I only get psk. Will I need psa too in order to import in 3ds Max?

It is possible as all you really need to do is import both and cut off what you want (so to speak). 3ds max and actorx is all personal choice. I have used 2012 and 2013, both working great. I do believe that 2013 was better in terms of crashing but either way, save regularly. There is a tutorial around but I can't access it right now (not home). psk = model, psa = animation set. You only need one or the other, can do both. Forcing it to read the original animation set saves load of memory and space on the file (it doesn't go to immense numbers).

Upvote 0
It is possible as all you really need to do is import both and cut off what you want (so to speak). 3ds max and actorx is all personal choice. I have used 2012 and 2013, both working great. I do believe that 2013 was better in terms of crashing but either way, save regularly. There is a tutorial around but I can't access it right now (not home). psk = model, psa = animation set. You only need one or the other, can do both. Forcing it to read the original animation set saves load of memory and space on the file (it doesn't go to immense numbers).

Hi and thank you for your reply! I already did myself most of the work before reading your post, but I am having problems with exporting the edited mesh back to *psk. If you can are willing to assist me by answering some of my basic questions, please send me you contact details on PM ( I prefer communicating through Steam).

Upvote 0
I have more progress, but still no complete success, I cant get the animations to work, the mesh gets MESSED like a ball of fur, only the reference pose works. I am importing the mesh's psk file into Editor, and then in the right side panel in the animation properties, I write the filename of the animation *ukx file which contains all player reloads, stances movements and so on. When I select any animation and of course try top play it character turns into ball of mess. I checked the skeleton - all bones look OK. They move properly in the appropriate animation. In wireframe mode the mesh looks really messed. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Hi guys I think I am almost done here, but I still need your help to finish this.

I managed to: Edit character a little without losing texture information.

Removed the original head and added new head.
The new head is a new "object" in the scene.
"Connected" the head to the head bone and tried the player model in the Editor. Head movement is working!

But I cant make the eyes.
I added the eyes along with the head. Should I add them as separate object in the scene and link them with the eye bones?

And finally: I have absolutely no clue how to connect the "eyelids" and "face" to their appropriate bones controllers or whatever its called. (top eyelid, bottom eyelid and facial expressions bone) All of the stuff is there I just cant link them.

I tried linking vertices to a bone but it didn't work.

Please give me clues and I will find a way to do it.

Upvote 0
Since I'm kind of doing the same thing, there is no need for another thread.
Might be a newbish question but how do I export the models back out and how do I load the textures in 3DSMax?
I'm using 2013 and also have 2011 and have download ActorX.

ActorX should be on the tools (if not, load it) on the far right tab. There should be simple boxes for name and has animations as part of the tool if needed. For the textures, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuBIkPcTH3g

Upvote 0
I already had ActorX_all, i didnt know which bit i needed.
It was 64 and i found out that ActorX is the plugin that has the exporter, i was looking for the exporter itself the whole time lol.
See i was going like this:
Utilities/More/SkeletalMesh Exporter
But its actually like:
Utilities/More/ActorX/SkeletalMesh Exporter
So yeah i edited a model and put it back into KF, thanks for the help FLuX.

Edit: One of my character doesnt display any weapons in 3rd person :/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I already had ActorX_all, i didnt know which bit i needed.
It was 64 and i found out that ActorX is the plugin that has the exporter, i was looking for the exporter itself the whole time lol.
See i was going like this:
Utilities/More/SkeletalMesh Exporter
But its actually like:
Utilities/More/ActorX/SkeletalMesh Exporter
So yeah i edited a model and put it back into KF, thanks for the help FLuX.

Edit: One of my character doesnt display any weapons in 3rd person :/
sounds like a missing bone. Make sure you don't remove/change any of the bones used for attaching weapons.

Upvote 0