• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics You don't have to use one perk in a round

puenboy

Dec 16, 2011
No, actually, it benefits more that you don't use only one perk in a round, unless that perk is always useful (Berserker for an example). Starting with Sharpshooter is always a good choice, or other classes provided that you level them enough (ie Firebug Armor).

Don't use a Firebug or Commando at boss wave, it's pretty useless, and a sharpshooter's power against the Patriarch is rather doubtful. It might be better to sell your weapons, swap to demo and buy a LAW when you know that the final wave features nothing but clots and the Patriarch.

Some people tend to think that they are playing only one class, but the truth is that there are times that some classes may outshine other or become useless, and the important thing is to determine when to change perk and adapt to face the incoming threat.

A medic or demo (without free weapon perks) may be able to make it through wave 1, but Sharpshooter is still a better choice. Although this isn't important in the first wave, it would in the later waves such as switching to Demo if your team doesn't have one to deal with waves you know that has Fleshpounds in it, or switch to a Sharpshooter to headshots Scrakes if there are no sharp in your team.

Most players would understand this, but some new players might not, so I think I'd put it out there.

I start as lvl 6 medic usually, but new players will want to start with sharpie, Berserker is almost as good.
Medic just gets superior starting bonuses, you save almost 600 if you get the first round (If you dont take damage). Commando and Firebug shines from waves 1-6, and after it they should be switched away.
Support and demo, they are your late-game perks, takes down BIG guys.
Skilled Medic and Zerkers can be inside your team to the end of the game!

Upvote 0
Medic just gets superior starting bonuses, you save almost 600 if you get the first round (If you dont take damage)
If you start as sharpshooter you make 600 "if you get the first round", and damage taken is irrelevant. As an added bonus you can use the bow during the wave for easy clot kills and still make just as much dosh selling it. I wholeheartedly disagree, unless you are in dire need of an MP7.

Upvote 0
Don't use a Firebug or Commando at boss wave, it's pretty useless, and a sharpshooter's power against the Patriarch is rather doubtful.

Play the game more. A single firebug is awesome against Patty because he can keep Patty on fire, making Patty very easy to spot and track, and Patty's use of healing syringes can be interrupted. Commando can track the Patty as well but he needs the team to be smart enough to keep up with him as he tracks. Sharpie plus xbow plus headshot is a lethal combination. Medic plus xbow plus headshot plus medic speed is a lethal combination in a closed map.

Upvote 0
If you start as sharpshooter you make 600 "if you get the first round", and damage taken is irrelevant. As an added bonus you can use the bow during the wave for easy clot kills and still make just as much dosh selling it. I wholeheartedly disagree, unless you are in dire need of an MP7.

+1
Sharps L6 sell their Xbow for 600.
Demos sell their pipes and M79 for ~550.
Medics, bugs and zerks will get close to 600 if you assume the armour will save you

Upvote 0
Don't use a Firebug or Commando at boss wave, it's pretty useless, and a sharpshooter's power against the Patriarch is rather doubtful. It might be better to sell your weapons, swap to demo and buy a LAW when you know that the final wave features nothing but clots and the Patriarch.

You are showcasing your own inexperience.

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Don't use a Firebug or Commando at boss wave, it's pretty useless

A FB can keep the patriarch alight for the rest of the team making it easier for them to track him.

The commando is the eyes of the team, the only perk that can see the patriarch cloaked, he can also let the team know how much life the patriarch has left, from one of my own games some time ago:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/558685307580105325/E8D0AAC98563601D942D97326575212F18D024D3/[url]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/558685307580105325/E8D0AAC98563601D942D97326575212F18D024D3/[/URL]

Both perks are quite effective against the patriarch.

I try and pick a perk that isn't already being used when I join the game and if I need to change I will.

Upvote 0
A fair point my good sir, but embracing the challenge of taking on the Patriarch as a Firebug or Commando and making use of your situational strengths to overcome the rest of your team mates individual weaknesses is what Killing Floor is all about.

You only truly get that feeling of accomplishment when you beat the game with a healthy mix of exploit free classes.

I know who I am friend. I am the torch in dark hallways, I am the pheonix on your shoulder, I set them alight, I ignite and kite, I watch them crisp, and I watch them burn, I live by the flame, or I die by the flame.

Firebug for life!

Upvote 0
I must be one of the few players that never spawns as lv6 sharpie on a HOE game. I usually spawn as commando.

But that's mostly because I'm afraid that I will **** up as sharpie.

You know, i have a hard time whenever i spawn as a Commando actually! For playing a 6-man HoE pug game, i think the AK has so few bullets and the 9mm is so weak. But when i play as Sharpie i have an easier time, with plenty of 9mm (headshots) that are really powerful, and the "railgun" Xbow is really good too.

If all perks would have equal spawnvalue from their gear at level 6, the 2 main perks i would choose to spawn with would be either Firebug or Sharpshooter. Yes, im serious, i think those 2 are the easiest to spawn with...

Upvote 0
I would say berserker is easiest to spawn with. The chainsaw isn't really that great, but all you're facing are clots, gorefasts and bloats. If you die, you're doing something wrong.
Closely followed by firebug, you've got armour, loads of ammo and a weapon that kills pretty much any zed on that wave with a single puff of flame, and instant kills it with a double click on them.

I normally spawn as a sharp or a demo for the cash though. Cheesey, but hey sue me. Taking demo a bit more lately after I worked out the cash is almost the same as a sharp, but blowing up clots with explosions is far more fun than just knocking off heads.

Upvote 0
Play the game more. A single firebug is awesome against Patty because he can keep Patty on fire, making Patty very easy to spot and track, and Patty's use of healing syringes can be interrupted. Commando can track the Patty as well but he needs the team to be smart enough to keep up with him as he tracks. Sharpie plus xbow plus headshot is a lethal combination. Medic plus xbow plus headshot plus medic speed is a lethal combination in a closed map.
i was gonna say the same thing. Well said Nutterbutter.

Upvote 0