• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics The most useless offperk weapon

The most useless offperk weapon

• Mac 10

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • M4 203

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Double 9MM

Votes: 44 50.6%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Combat Shotgun

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Calymore

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Bullpup

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • M14 EBR

Votes: 8 9.2%

• Total voters

vealck

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
Playing most times as a medic I usually depend on offperk weapons. But some of them are just a bad choice. So, as the title says, vote! Nominees are:

Mac 10 (too much spread to aim off sights, too low power for panic weapon)
M4 203 (price is insane even for demo, reload times, shared mags/grenades bugs, practically can't fire just one round, whole mag doesn't guarantee husk kill)
Double 9MM (can't really aim, very low power)
Shotgun (not enough power and speed to kill medium targets quickly, not enough ammo to last you for a wave of killing trash)
Combat shotgun (same as above, insane price, one full mag to put down a husk in normal combat situation, low ammo)
Claymore (it's said that it can stun SC offperk on behind headshot, but I'm yet to see that in a real match. Too slow for general defense, no reason to use it over katana)
Bullpup (lack of power, ammo runs out quickly)
M14 EBR (too much kickback, not enough power to kill a crawler, bad sights, no reason to use over LAR)

Oh, and if you play on normal, just don't vote :rolleyes:

Shotgun I know someone takes offperk on hard for his berserker because he's still getting his support to L6. I know another friend who takes a bullpup for the same situation, same reason.

Although in terems of actually taking weapons for their effectiveness... yea... they're all terrible.

But the prince would have to be dual 9mms. Weighing LOADS, dealing practically no damage offperk, and having pretty much no advantage over normal 9mms but with extra weight, cost and lower accuracy... yea...

Upvote 0
I don't know, I really like the hunting shotgun when I'm playing as a medic for a camping team. It's a nice emergency weapon and it never hurts to alt-fire all those scrakes and fleshpounds you're going to have to block for your team with your super armor. Shouldn't need the ammo for trash, as you will already have a 9mm and a medic SMG.

The lever action, katana and grenade launchers are still my favorite medic weapons, though.

On normal you can do whatever you want. I found myself playing normal the other day when I couldn't find a populated HoE server and I beat a 5 man wave 10 with a MP7, MP5, MAC, and a .44 as medic (didn't want to take all the lowbies' kills). They thought I was great but I kept saying NEVER USE THESE WEAPONS THEY ARE BAD I AM A BAD ROLE MODEL.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The lever action, katana and grenade launchers are still my favorite medic weapons, though.

On normal you can do whatever you want. I found myself playing normal the other day when I couldn't find a populated HoE server and I beat a 5 man wave 10 with a MP7, MP5, MAC, and a .44 as medic (didn't want to take all the lowbies' kills). They thought I was great but I kept saying NEVER USE THESE WEAPONS THEY ARE BAD I AM A BAD ROLE MODEL.

M32 for a medic ftw. Esp on lower levels. Pricey as hell though :p

"FLESHPOUND!!!!"
*fires*
"nvm"

Also, I lolled at the allcaps part xD

Upvote 0
Oh boy. I see double 9MM is the unquestioned pariah of KF. Maybe I shouldn't include it in the poll to actually get some results on other weapons :D

Well, I posted this thread with suicidal/hoe mindset. I found out that regular shotgun is the worst thing to have, as the pellets have potential to just go around a single crawler two times in a row, while shooting from 3-4 meters.

The biggest dissapointment money-to-value wise are Combat Shotgun and M4 203 for me.

And generally, anything that can't kill a siren before her second scream when she appears around the corner is literally useless on highest difficulties. Hence Mac10, 9MM and bullpup.

Upvote 0
Playing most times as a medic I usually depend on offperk weapons. But some of them are just a bad choice. So, as the title says, vote! Nominees are:

M4 203 (price is insane even for demo, reload times, shared mags/grenades bugs, practically can't fire just one round, whole mag doesn't guarantee husk kill)

You can kill large groups of Crawlers with a single m4 203 nade, and it's strong enough to decap most of the trash with a burst (tap of the finger) fire.

Combat shotgun (same as above, insane price, one full mag to put down a husk in normal combat situation, low ammo)'

I've seen it used offperk pretty well by Scary_Ghost and a few others, it's not trash off perk, you just have to know how to use it.

Bullpup (lack of power, ammo runs out quickly)

Get Mp7/Mp5/Bullpup for the ability to shoot forever without having to reload. That's 64 + 40 + 40 = 144 bullets (If you're using them as medic) you can shoot towards small zeds head before you have to reload.

M14 EBR (too much kickback, not enough power to kill a crawler, bad sights, no reason to use over LAR)

You're forgetting that you can "flinch lock" a scrake even on 6 man HoE with an unperked m14, I've seen it done as a medic before using m14. BUT I will say I play with some really good players, so I might just be spoiled.

Upvote 0
You're forgetting that you can "flinch lock" a scrake even on 6 man HoE with an unperked m14, I've seen it done as a medic before using m14. BUT I will say I play with some really good players, so I might just be spoiled.

We need to have a list of terminology xD I normally refer to it as mini-flinching because it's only for about 0.4secs. The advantage is that the EBR fires every 0.25 secs, so if you can literally keep it pointed at his head and fire as soon as you're able to, it'll work.

But I think of it as a mini-flinch because katana flinches are for much much longer.
Although now I think of it, katanas only fire every 0.6 secs at L0 zerk, and you can keep a scrake flinchlocked as a L0 zerk I believe? Which isn't that much longer. Are both flinches for the same amount of time?

Upvote 0
You can kill large groups of Crawlers with a single m4 203 nade, and it's strong enough to decap most of the trash with a burst (tap of the finger) fire.
Crawlers, yes. But usually when you shoot for a group of 4 clots, 2 of them will survive. Main usage of grenades is to prevent someone getting hit by gorefasts by stunning them, to free overwhelmed player, or to eliminate sirens/husks at medium distances. 12 is not nearly enough to last you for entire wave.

About primary fire: when they're close, decapitated are still dangerous, so dispatching them is far better with katana. And when they're far enough, you can't usually put every bullet of the burst in the head.
Ammo is still very limited, reloading time long, and there's the price issue.

I've seen it used offperk pretty well by Scary_Ghost and a few others, it's not trash off perk, you just have to know how to use it.
There are far more efficient ways of killing trash, won't save you from a raged scrake (requires almost 3 full mags of headshots to put one down in combat situation), and has only 48 rounds, which will maybe down 6 husks/sirens in an entire wave if you're not using it for anything else. And an insane price.

Get Mp7/Mp5/Bullpup for the ability to shoot forever without having to reload. That's 64 + 40 + 40 = 144 bullets (If you're using them as medic) you can shoot towards small zeds head before you have to reload.
Cycling weapons, especially those in one slot also requires time. And with that setup you have no panic weapon, no means to kill a raged SC, and can't down surprise sirens fast enough.

Haven't been using M14 from a very long time, didn't even know that :D I'll try using it sometime, then. Still, can't stun husks before they shot and can't one-shot crawlers :|

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cycling weapons, especially those in one slot also requires time. And with that setup you have no panic weapon, no means to kill a raged SC, and can't down surprise sirens fast enough.

Eh, in all fairness the medic guns are 3 weight each, and the bullpup can't be more than 3 (don't use commando on principle. Why spray bullets when I can headshot? :p). Using that would still leave enough room for a 5 block gun to kill bigger things (hand cannon? M79? whatever).

But yea, I agree with vealck in general. Mostly because I don't like spray and pray guns in general :p
Also, with 3 empty guns it'll take you, what, 8 secs+ to refill them all? That's a long time of doing nothing.

Upvote 0
and the bullpup can't be more than 3

It's actually 6. I personally think it should be lowered. 4, maybe. If that's too much, 5 is good as gold.

(don't use commando on principle. Why spray bullets when I can headshot? :p).

It's a matter of the role. A commando's M4 alone has 500 rounds in it, and that's a potential 500 clots dead. That way sharpies can focus on the bigass top-priority zeds with less annoyances instead. WE MAKE YOUR JOB EASIER. :IS2:

Upvote 0
It's actually 6. I personally think it should be lowered. 4, maybe. If that's too much, 5 is good as gold.
6 o_O Seems excessive for what I know of the gun.

It's a matter of the role. A commando's M4 alone has 500 rounds in it, and that's a potential 500 clots dead. That way sharpies can focus on the bigass top-priority zeds with less annoyances instead. WE MAKE YOUR JOB EASIER.

Yea, I understand that commando has it's role and is probably the best/most flexible trashkiller out there (esp at higher levels when the pyro becomes less useful). I could just never really get into it :p

Upvote 0
Yea, I understand that commando has it's role and is probably the best/most flexible trashkiller out there (esp at higher levels when the pyro becomes less useful). I could just never really get into it :p

Yeah, not every perk is for everyone.

I am not patient or focused enough for a sharpshooter role what with all the gorefasts etc staring at me in the face, and I just cannot play zerk to save my life.

Upvote 0