• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Make all DLC for the game free

Super Meat Boy

Mar 2, 2015
When the sequel's release date draws near it could be a smart decision to give the players all released DLC for free. This would increase the playerbase drastically and increase the number of potential buyers for Killing Floor 2.

I see no reason the buy individual DLC packs, everything costs more than the base game itself. But I can't really criticize because Tripwire has updated the game with 21 maps, nearly 40 weapons, 4 playable characters, two game modes, new achievements and special events all for free.

This doesn't sound like a good idea at all. If anything, they should sell a super pack that includes everything, not just hand it out for free.

Agreed. TWI are a company, and it is their aim to make money, they can't just give their stuff away for free!

Support your favourite developers to help them make more of what you love! Don't be so tight..lol:D

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but that's the dumbest marketing idea with no logic underneath it. How can you imagine drastically increased playerbase due to free DLC?

"OMG, free chicken model! I'll get back to KF and play another 1000 hours thanks to that."
"OMG, this 6-years-old game offers free golden weapons! I'll buy the core game $20 and tell all friends to do that."

^ that's not gonna happen.
  • People who will still be playing KF1, will not see any differences: they already own those DLCs or don't care about them.
  • People who quit playing KF1, won't return.
  • New players won't buy the game just because of few cosmetic DLCs.

Maybe after release of KF2 Tripwire should consider F2P model for KF1: base game available for free while continuing selling DLCs.

Upvote 0
Maybe after release of KF2 Tripwire should consider F2P model for KF1: base game available for free while continuing selling DLCs.

I am also hoping to see this happen - it would give the playerbase one last breath of life in my opinion.

Ultimately, though, it's only going to postpone the outcome for a few months.

I'll be surprised to see more than a dozen servers of varying degrees of difficulties up and running within 3 to 4 months of KF2 dropping (in fairness I hope a lot more servers remain, as I still enjoy playing).

Upvote 0
I'll be surprised to see more than a dozen servers of varying degrees of difficulties up and running within 3 to 4 months of KF2 dropping (in fairness I hope a lot more servers remain, as I still enjoy playing).

Well seeing as how I host over a dozen servers myself and I have no intentions of shutting them down due to the the release of KF2 you might as well get ready to be surprised. ;)

Upvote 0
I see no reason the buy individual DLC packs, everything costs more than the base game itself. But I can't really criticize because Tripwire has updated the game with 21 maps, nearly 40 weapons, 4 playable characters, two game modes, new achievements and special events all for free.

If players want free content there's this thing called mods. Personally I want to pay for individual packs because it supports further content, like maps and perks which are free. Currently the game is in early acess, who's to say character and weapon packs will cost more then the base game? No ones forcing anyone to buy dlc and tripwire already stated in an interview, that any paid dlc won't effect game play. So if you don't want to pay for skins or cosmetics then you won't be affected game wise. There's nothing wrong with cosmetic items in exchange for support for our favorite game, now is there?

Upvote 0
Oy The Destroyer;n1969688 said:
I hate when people suggest **** like this without thinking it through. If they gave away all the **** I already paid for, they damn-well better reimburse me.
Do you get reimbursed for all games given away for free on Origin'd "On the House", Uplay's "Ubisoft 30 Days of Giveaways", Humble Store, GOG and Steam? What if a game you purchased in late '90s turns freeware?

Upvote 0
I remember the good ole days of PC gaming when you were sold a complete game from the developers with the exception of updates to fix bugs and issues.

Then if you wanted something extra with the game it was provided for free by the games community of modders.

The way it should remain. Until some developer figured out they could nickle and dime the consumer to death with paid DLC. Makes me sick.

Upvote 0
Skillz;n2287802 said:
I remember the good ole days of PC gaming when you were sold a complete game from the developers with the exception of updates to fix bugs and issues.

Then if you wanted something extra with the game it was provided for free by the games community of modders.

The way it should remain. Until some developer figured out they could nickle and dime the consumer to death with paid DLC. Makes me sick.

I don't care about cosmetic DLC. KF1 launched with only five maps and received nearly 50 after release, for free, among additional content. It's entirely possible that Tripwire wouldn't have been able to support the game as extensively without the DLC cash flow.
Some new weapons unfortunately are paid DLC, as I stated.

Upvote 0