• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Paid Weapon DLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuNteR-

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2011
Up there, in the trees...
First off the cuff as always, thank you TWI for an epic event. It looks great.

But I have to call you on the Paid Weapon DLC...

I can live with paid character pack DLC's, even premium paid character DLC's...but weapon packs...

All this "throwing money at TWI because they're legends" rear kissin bull aside.

Didn't you once say that you would NEVER make anyone pay for anything that affected gameplay? You wanted everyone to have the same experience no matter what?

It's great you've added a community made item to the list... but surely, SURELY! That breaches the EULA by charging for it. "All mods must be released for free".

Now, one would think that now if I release my mods for KF I can charge people to play them. Also that russian dude that kicked up a storm for selling his mods is in the clear now.

Help me understand where you came from with this. You won't budge on the ball character because of intgrety, but you have gone back on the promise not to make anyone pay for gameplay changing features and you're now charging people for a community made mod. Integrety in the balance here, it's got some epic question and exclamation marks hanging over it.

Now I defend you TWI, I'm the first to say you deserve all the credit you get for what you've done with updates, what other company has done that. So please take this thread with good will and faith. But I am flipping bricks wondering how this decision was made.

And everyone who wants to put a target on my chest in the community can cool their jets. I'm only saying what you're all thinking.

It doesn't come easy to hit the submit button, but I am curious about this not upset.

Regards

HuNteR-

Last edited:
I felt that the Paid weapon dlc really hurt. now who would play risk with a person who could hit 0-7 with his dice, while ur dices can only do 1-6?

and yeah I was wondering about the IJC thing?!? is it because Tripwire owns it? like the player made maps that is officially added to the game?

Upvote 0
@GhostOfTheFallen

Hunter brings up a legitimate concern that is shared by a good number of people. Posting the same vid in multiple threads will just make people ignore you.

@Hunter

I agree with what you have written but I think it's worth putting out there that IJC (or TWI for that matter) has not broken any EULA by including this community made content. I don't know the details but if I were to speculate I'd say that ownership of the content was transferred to TWI under whatever agreement was made with them.

TWI to this date has said that (and I'm paraphrasing here) if it's good enough we'll take it on and make it official. If it's simply good, we'll support.

I'm not fond of paid for weapons though. =( On the basis of game changing.

Upvote 0
In reply to the original post...

1. We always said we wouldn't charge for our own weapons. We're not. We're using this as a way to reward community members for work done.

2. It is no longer a "mod". It is DLC taken in as part of the game itself. That is one of the many little headaches we've got to work on to find ways to make this all work sweetly. Random individuals trying to charge for odd bits of code/art are still in breech of the EULA.

3. The weapons don't change gameplay - they are "side-grades". They all have stats similar to existing (FREE) weapons.

4. There have been a couple of comments about "pay to win". Um - this is a CO-OP game, not competitive. You're not playing AGAINST someone who can get a drop on you because they've spent money. No-one can "beat" you at all - with or without any extra weapons. The weapons aren't any "better" than FREE weapons anyway. That is just knee-jerk reaction.

So - the weapons are effectively cosmetic anyway. If we've missed anything and one of them is OP, we'll reel it back in - just as we would with FREE weapons. Have done, in fact. We're doing it as an experiment, related to the Steam workshop experiment, seeing if we can give people decent ways to reward community members who do a boat-load of work - that meets the quality bar as well. We picked this one as the experiment as it is reasonably simple to handle. And Paypal buttons on random websites are largely useless.

We have looked at other ways of doing it and will continue to do so. Ultimately, we want the players to be able to choose what is worth it to you - and what it is worth. And then we will always have to inspect for quality and sanity. But that is still a little way off.

So this is an experiment: some weapons that do NOT make anyone "over-powered", but are a fun alternative to the (50+) (FREE) stock weapons. No-one NEEDS to buy them. No-one will get any more "powerful" with them. The IJC guys will get some reward for the time they've put in and we will learn things from the experiment, adjust plans and move on. What direction that takes depends in part on this experiment, on part what we can afford to do, in part on what the player community is interested in.

But there is a limit to the amount of free content we can generate (we already do 3 events a year, new maps, weapons for free, some DLC characters to help pay for it) - so we really do want to encourage the broader community to make more content that fits, that is of high enough quality and is attractive to the players. If we can find ways for people to earn a bit of cash off providing that content, then the player base will wind up with even more content to play with. That is one theory, anyway :)

Upvote 0
In reply to the original post...

1. We always said we wouldn't charge for our own weapons. We're not. We're using this as a way to reward community members for work done.

2. It is no longer a "mod". It is DLC taken in as part of the game itself. That is one of the many little headaches we've got to work on to find ways to make this all work sweetly. Random individuals trying to charge for odd bits of code/art are still in breech of the EULA.

3. The weapons don't change gameplay - they are "side-grades". They all have stats similar to existing (FREE) weapons.

4. There have been a couple of comments about "pay to win". Um - this is a CO-OP game, not competitive. You're not playing AGAINST someone who can get a drop on you because they've spent money. No-one can "beat" you at all - with or without any extra weapons. The weapons aren't any "better" than FREE weapons anyway. That is just knee-jerk reaction.

So - the weapons are effectively cosmetic anyway. If we've missed anything and one of them is OP, we'll reel it back in - just as we would with FREE weapons. Have done, in fact. We're doing it as an experiment, related to the Steam workshop experiment, seeing if we can give people decent ways to reward community members who do a boat-load of work - that meets the quality bar as well. We picked this one as the experiment as it is reasonably simple to handle. And Paypal buttons on random websites are largely useless.

We have looked at other ways of doing it and will continue to do so. Ultimately, we want the players to be able to choose what is worth it to you - and what it is worth. And then we will always have to inspect for quality and sanity. But that is still a little way off.

So this is an experiment: some weapons that do NOT make anyone "over-powered", but are a fun alternative to the (50+) (FREE) stock weapons. No-one NEEDS to buy them. No-one will get any more "powerful" with them. The IJC guys will get some reward for the time they've put in and we will learn things from the experiment, adjust plans and move on. What direction that takes depends in part on this experiment, on part what we can afford to do, in part on what the player community is interested in.

But there is a limit to the amount of free content we can generate (we already do 3 events a year, new maps, weapons for free, some DLC characters to help pay for it) - so we really do want to encourage the broader community to make more content that fits, that is of high enough quality and is attractive to the players. If we can find ways for people to earn a bit of cash off providing that content, then the player base will wind up with even more content to play with. That is one theory, anyway :)

That's well and fine, but, it still feels wrong to want money for community made weapons, as now you're setting it up for people to want money for the mods rather than just making mods because they want to add something new and cool to the game because they love it and want to leave their mark, and accepting donations from the people who felt the mod was worth some monetary value to them.

Honestly I bet most of the backlash would go away if the price was reasonable, 8 bucks, isn't, that's half the cost of the game, and even with the DLC on sale, it's near the price of Ash Harding, if the DLC was 2 bucks, or 99 cents, I bet you'd never see any fuss over this at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't even mind buying the weapon DLC because the weapons are all weaker anyways (except for the awesome firebug revolvers... win for sure)

My problem: I just bought 3 gift copies of the KF bundle... as well as 1 for myself so I could get the rest of the DLC and the weapon pack...

SURPRISE! You don't really get the weapon DLC in the pack >_>

The hell TWI :(

Upvote 0
Killing floor is not a free to play game. You are not paying a monthly fee to play and yet TW has been giving you free content updates for years. Furthermore this weapon pack is designed by the community and the designers are getting a kick back for all sales. It stimulates positive mod development and motivates more creators to create for the game.

The weapons themselves are not over the top pay to win weapons. They are balanced and not the best by far for any class in damage and function.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.