• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Your opinion on kiting

Your opinion on kiting

• I am a strong, brave warrior, and I need not kite.

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • I personally think both defensive play and kiting are equally valuable.

Votes: 64 71.9%
  • omg kiting iz tha best gaise all u campers r n00bs

Votes: 8 9.0%

• Total voters
It would depend.

As a Zerker, I pretty much am ready and capable to kite whenever and view it as a mechanic to take down heavy zeds. However, I'd much rather see a FP dropped by a crossbow or demo before I'd have to kite it. In many of my groups I play in (Been a long time since I've pubbed) I typically have 1-2 demos on demand and 2-3 sharps.

However, we have "Oh Shi-" situations, such as 3 FP's at a single time followed by a number of Scrakes at begining of a wave. I will willingly and easily step in and kite whatever, so long it drops. I dislike having a Zed such as a FP stay up way longer than it should.

Upvote 0
I hope you're joking because I barely kite and usually camp with my team if they do. Which is incredibly easy and quickly gets boring. Killing Floor in general is way too easy.

Oh well, people judging without having any clue, typically internet. No need to flame people.

Oh and don't make threads asking for peoples opinion if you're going to insult someone for 'failing' just because they have a different opinion than you, rename the thread to 'agree with me or go away' instead. Thanks.

There's something even nastier than that, and it's people who aren't clear enough and spawn misunderstandings, thinking everyone has an open sesame to their spirit at the moment they write a word.

You said you prefered "cheating than spamming left click down a hallway". It implies that "spamming left click down a hallway" is your definition of defensive play and that for these reasons and because it takes less effort to do it than "cheating", as smiff refers to it, you would rather "cheat".

Describing your actual playstyle first instead of replying unclearly to smiff would have avoided all that fuss.

Upvote 0
Yeah right, being all the time in move and killing ZEDs is boring even more than 6 peope camping at police station or under the bridge without even moving wasd keys, just aiming with the mause. If u say that kiting on HoE is boring i think u did not play many games like tha, i find running around team with zerkers and medics much bigger fun that spending an hour in one place, running only to trader.

Obviously you think I'm attacking your way of playing; I'm not. I just personally find it boring and ridiculously easy to kite, no matter what difficulty you are playing on.

I like the suggestion, maybe a timed area would work?

If you're camping then you have x amount of time then you must vacate the area or lose a player.

Something like that, yeah. I had a similar idea a while back where when you stay in an area for some period of time, it creates a sort of 'frenzy' zone where enemies there are increasingly stronger and faster. While there are no players in that area it cools down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So what do you do if you're playing as a demo or sharp and your team gets wiped? :p You have to kite or die. In that situation, being able to kite is good.

Plus, from a personal point of view, kiting as a sharpshooter means you need to be able to headshot stuff in front of you very quickly, often at a very close range. It trains you to be better at headshotting.

Also, it trains you to act instinctively when something appears. Run around the corner and a scrake is there? As a sharp, you should be swapping to LAR/Xbow and run past it, then with an Xbow, turn and pop it again as he turns around. With a LAR, finish him as he turns, or leave him until later. Either way, it teaches you to react faster and not to panic.

All good things which will benefit you on HoE :p

If camping team dies just like that its a demo fault becouse he did not blow up trash and not piped FP's. Demo without 2 nade launchers is usless.

Obviously you think I'm attacking your way of playing; I'm not. I just personally find it boring and ridiculously easy to kite, no matter what difficulty you are playing on.

Something like that, yeah. I had a similar idea a while back where when you stay in an area for some period of time, it creates a sort of 'frenzy' zone where enemies there are increasingly stronger and faster. While there are no players in that area it cools down.

Im not thinking ur attacking, also im not such a big fan of zerker kiting as u may think. Im just tired of all those cries about it. Kiting is style of play, and imo its superior to camping.

Upvote 0
wait wait wait, so when most of you guys kite, you only kill a few specimens at a time? You HAVE to kill em quicker, otherwise its a snoozefest running away for a half hour each wave, you gotta make the back spawn heavy, otherwise its not fun!

If camping team dies just like that its a demo fault becouse he did not blow up trash and not piped FP's. Demo without 2 nade launchers is usless.
useless without two launchers? thats not what my team called me when i clutched wave 9 of HoE bioticslab with a teammate a few days ago. and it is silly to blame a single player on a team wipe, there is usually much more to it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's something even nastier than that, and it's people who aren't clear enough and spawn misunderstandings, thinking everyone has an open sesame to their spirit at the moment they write a word.

You said you prefered "cheating than spamming left click down a hallway". It implies that "spamming left click down a hallway" is your definition of defensive play and that for these reasons and because it takes less effort to do it than "cheating", as smiff refers to it, you would rather "cheat".

Describing your actual playstyle first instead of replying unclearly to smiff would have avoided all that fuss.

I guess yeah, easily teaseable today, lol.

Either way, not really sure what people mean by 'defensive play' to me defensive play is sticking together with your team in around an area and shooting stuff, camping also falls under this. Camping can make you beat pretty much any map super duper easily.

Upvote 0
wait wait wait, so when most of you guys kite, you only kill a few specimens at a time? You HAVE to kill em quicker, otherwise its a snoozefest running away for a half hour each wave, you gotta make the back spawn heavy, otherwise its not fun!

useless without two launchers? thats not what my team called me when i clutched wave 9 of HoE bioticslab with a teammate a few days ago. and it is silly to blame a single player on a team wipe, there is usually much more to it
When somebody takes a demo and money for the pipes he also takes a responsibility to locating those pipes in good placed and at a good time. I still dont understand why instead of both nade lanuchers you would take only 1. Demo is trash killer, so he needs to shoot as much from nades as he can. Not run around with katana. Its like Support on HoE running with t1 shootie + xbow (couse its good to hs) + nade launcher couse its good against trash and katana for close combat... Dude leave katana to zerker, its hes weapon and use perk gear. Maybe ur a good player, i dont know we did not play together, and you are doing it 4 fun, but honestly... there are like 20 bad players for 1 good. And i dont want those 20 to read ur idea and try it when im playing.

Also i still think that as a demo you should stay behind and blow up packs of ZEDs and on HoE only one nade launcher is not enough to keep firing whole waves.

And dont worry u'r not only one complemented by others player. I was called by some randoms "master", "pro", "best player ever" and "god". And seriously its nothing to brag about, being called by some new or weekend players like that. Im on such a stadium of KF playing that i find more fun to help people survive and die trying this than leave them behind and run around.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you are supporting your team it shouldn't matter what style you prefer. IMO doing a kite run then coming back to join your group can be beneficial as long as you are killing while you do it. Essentially that would be taking the pressure off the team giving them time to reload and heal as well as killing zeds, both of which benefit the team as a whole.

Basically one style or another doesn't describe a person's game ethics. It is how they treat the team as a whole. Whatever strategy you use just make sure you are being a team player and supporting their overall actions.

Upvote 0
When somebody takes a demo and money for the pipes he also takes a responsibility to locating those pipes in good placed and at a good time. I still dont understand why instead of both nade lanuchers you would take only 1. Demo is trash killer, so he needs to shoot as much from nades as he can. Not run around with katana. Its like Support on HoE running with t1 shootie + xbow (couse its good to hs) + nade launcher couse its good against trash and katana for close combat... Dude leave katana to zerker, its hes weapon and use perk gear. Maybe ur a good player, i dont know we did not play together, and you are doing it 4 fun, but honestly... there are like 20 bad players for 1 good. And i dont want those 20 to read ur idea and try it when im playing.

Also i still think that as a demo you should stay behind and blow up packs of ZEDs and on HoE only one nade launcher is not enough to keep firing whole waves.

And dont worry u'r not only one complemented by others player. I was called by some randoms "master", "pro", "best player ever" and "god". And seriously its nothing to brag about, being called by some new or weekend players like that. Im on such a stadium of KF playing that i find more fun to help people survive and die trying this than leave them behind and run around.

you obviously have never experimented with offperk weapons, M79/m32 is such a goddamn boring loadout, and no, you do not need both launchers to keep up a steady stream of support fire on HoE. Demo has absolutely no weapons for close up unless you want to count the m4/203. by using a katana, you can take out any small groups sneaking up on you, or individual zeds, saving you grenade rounds and 9mm rounds. The demo should NOT be firing as much rounds as he can, unless he wants to blind the team, rage scrakes, and cause an entire wipe, you obviously do not know how to play the class correctly. There are much better alternatives for trash killing, thats just a bonus for demolitions, he should really be taking out any fleshpounds, or if the sharp is preoccupied, take out the husks too, or if all else fails, dump nades like crazy to push the horde back and reestablish the line.

your last statement makes little sense here, i was not playing with noobs and freeweekenders, i was playing with a coherent team who had cohesive strategies, but that does not always prevent a large wipe, which is the beauty of this game, you are not guaranteed a win, even with experienced players. I am not bragging in the slightest, but i challenge you to kite bioticslab on wave 9 HoE with 90+ zeds left, and i would like to see you pull it off with an m79/m32 and pipes. i guarantee you wouldn't make it down the left hallway, a katana is essential for running through those tight corridors without getting grabbed or sliced up by gorefasts. an M32 has more than enough grenades for a wave, 30 shells + 11 hand grenades then add pipes to the equation, do you really need more? the short answer is no. i also like how you insinuate that i ran away from the team leaving them to die, me and the last player held our ground until it was only us two, forcing us to flee or be devoured, i think your "stadium" really means you cannot clutch a wave as a perk other than berzerker or medic :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
M79/m32 is such a goddamn boring loadout, and no, you do not need both launchers to keep up a steady stream of support fire on HoE.
The demo should NOT be firing as much rounds as he can, unless he wants to blind the team, rage scrakes, and cause an entire wipe, you obviously do not know how to play the class correctly. There are much better alternatives for trash killing, thats just a bonus for demolitions, he should really be taking out any fleshpounds, or if the sharp is preoccupied, take out the husks too, or if all else fails, dump nades like crazy to push the horde back and reestablish the line.

+1

As a sharp, it annoys the hell outta me when the demo keeps up a steady stream of grenades. I'd be perfectly fine with keeping a player on the team whose only role was to stack grenades on a post-Xbow'd FP, and grenade occassional big crowds that sharps, commandos etc will have trouble with. And for those situations, an M32 has plenty of grenades.

Also, number of times that I've put an Xbow bolt through a scrake's head and I'm reloading, and a grenade flies past my head and jostles him and awakens him, and he starts trying to carve up my liver.

I wish more Demos would learn that grenading everything that moves isn't always the best way to help the team.

Upvote 0

you obviously have never experimented with offperk weapons, M79/m32 is such a goddamn boring loadout, and no, you do not need both launchers to keep up a steady stream of support fire on HoE. Demo has absolutely no weapons for close up unless you want to count the m4/203. by using a katana, you can take out any small groups sneaking up on you, or individual zeds, saving you grenade rounds and 9mm rounds. The demo should NOT be firing as much rounds as he can, unless he wants to blind the team, rage scrakes, and cause an entire wipe, you obviously do not know how to play the class correctly. There are much better alternatives for trash killing, thats just a bonus for demolitions, he should really be taking out any fleshpounds, or if the sharp is preoccupied, take out the husks too, or if all else fails, dump nades like crazy to push the horde back and reestablish the line.

your last statement makes little sense here, i was not playing with noobs and freeweekenders, i was playing with a coherent team who had cohesive strategies, but that does not always prevent a large wipe, which is the beauty of this game, you are not guaranteed a win, even with experienced players. I am not bragging in the slightest, but i challenge you to kite bioticslab on wave 9 HoE with 90+ zeds left, and i would like to see you pull it off with an m79/m32 and pipes. i guarantee you wouldn't make it down the left hallway, a katana is essential for running through those tight corridors without getting grabbed or sliced up by gorefasts. an M32 has more than enough grenades for a wave, 30 shells + 11 hand grenades then add pipes to the equation, do you really need more? the short answer is no. i also like how you insinuate that i ran away from the team leaving them to die, me and the last player held our ground until it was only us two, forcing us to flee or be devoured, i think your "stadium" really means you cannot clutch a wave as a perk other than berzerker or medic :)

Thats what are you thinking. Its not like every off perk weapon is good. LAR is, nade launchers are. With katana u swing to slow, same goes to running if ur not zerker or medic.

About ur challange, i guess its not something you do on daily basics, it happened once or two. Its mostly luck. Even with katana u will get swarmed by ZEDs in 95% of cases. Demo is not suposed to solo, its more like supporting class in game.

Also dont compare playing with team you know to a team of random nooblets who enrgae scrakes and fps, weild all doors their see at other. stuff. Playing with a crew of good players is not fun at all couse almost nothing can suprise you when everybody knows what to do and keep talking via voice communication.

So about your challange. It would be pointless becouse i would know about it and would leave pipes and ammo for it. Also not using perk weapon in this moment is like you are assume that you will need it couse ur squad will get wiped. Dude i have higher hopes to randoms than u to ur squad. As a team member i would prefere also to have demo with bnoth launchers behind me than one running with katana in front dieing with 8 pipes in inv buyed for money i donated to him.

+1

As a sharp, it annoys the hell outta me when the demo keeps up a steady stream of grenades. I'd be perfectly fine with keeping a player on the team whose only role was to stack grenades on a post-Xbow'd FP, and grenade occassional big crowds that sharps, commandos etc will have trouble with. And for those situations, an M32 has plenty of grenades.

Also, number of times that I've put an Xbow bolt through a scrake's head and I'm reloading, and a grenade flies past my head and jostles him and awakens him, and he starts trying to carve up my liver.

I wish more Demos would learn that grenading everything that moves isn't always the best way to help the team.

Good sharp shooter does not have problems with smoke, atlest i never had. Good eye and fast reflex is all u need there, and if you r crying about demo smoke and firbug fire, you should probably work on those two things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thats what are you thinking. Its not like every off perk weapon is good. LAR is, nade launchers are. With katana u swing to slow, same goes to running if ur not zerker or medic.
Clearly you've never played with a support, SG/CSG + HSG + Axe.

A point I'd like to stress here is that to make a good team, everyone doesn't necessarily have to be killing everything as fast as they can all the time. A demo doesn't have to be throwing grenades all the time, and because he has a katana doesn't make that him a meleer.
Sometimes it's worth having a demo to drop a nade on a large group only. Or to be able to keep an eye on the other entrances to make sure the doors aren't being broken.
Heck, with the right team, I'd bring a sharpshooter with Xbow along only to kill sirens and above. I wouldn't mind at all if for most of W7+ he sat there doing nothing, as long as he could Xbow the FP as soon as it came around the corner.

You don't have to be topping the kill counter to be the most useful member of the team.

Demo is not suposed to solo, its more like supporting class in game.
Ever heard of "hope for the best, plan for the worst"? I hope and work towards my entire team making it through every wave, but I plan and work out how I can play 6man solo HoE so that if they all do get wiped, I don't automatically lose.

Also dont compare playing with team you know to a team of random nooblets who enrgae scrakes and fps, weild all doors their see at other. stuff.
What difficulty do you play on. On HoE/suicidal, people pretty much have learnt to stop doing stuff like that, or they get kicked from every match they play.

Necro-71 said:
Playing with a crew of good players is not fun at all couse almost nothing can suprise you when everybody knows what to do and keep talking via voice communication.

necro-71 said:
I just cant undertand those king of people who thinks about making game harder in a pointless way

Good sharp shooter does not have problems with smoke, atlest i never had. Good eye and fast reflex is all u need there, and if you r crying about demo smoke and firbug fire, you should probably work on those two things.
Does not have problems? It's not that I can't see your PoV, it's that I cannot see how it exists. In some situations literally there is 0 visibility, it is impossible to see anything moving at all through the smoke. Without remembering where every mob was before the smoke, and calculating where their heads would be, I literally cannot see a way to land headshots.
Firebug fire isn't so bad, because although it obscures, it doesn't completely obscure, so it's possible to workaround.

Upvote 0
yeah, the katana is definitely a terrible weapon offperk, it definitely can't kill all trash zeds under a siren in a single swing, flinch enemies so they don't hit/grab you, have pretty good ROF and range, never runs out of ammo, and only weighs 3 blocks :rolleyes:. once again you are insinuating that because i carry a katana, i am trying to fill the role of zerker, no i am behind most of my teammates, and higher up if possible. the katana is great if a pack of zeds sneaks up on you, and if there is something too far to reach, use your 9mm. The only other weapon i carry frequently offperk as demo for cqb is the handcannon, which is better in some situations, but adds a block of weight and can run out of ammo and needs to be reloaded

Upvote 0
Woud you believe I voted "I personally think both defensive play and kiting are equally valuable"?

Kiting is a smart tactic, I've got nothing really against kiting, however I see kiting as an emergency tactic, not as my leading method of attack.

I love the camping game because I love the team spirit of the game. You need your Commandos, Zerkers and Firebugs controlling the mobs, your Sharpshooters and Supports cutting down your mid range specimens, your Demo and general hard hitters taking on the big guys, and your Medic watching the teams backs. Everyone compensates for his partners weaknesses.

Kite teams generally feature 2 perks, who each play pretty much as a solo warrior, with no concern for what the rest of their teammates are doing. The only team element here is that they are running around in a group. Kiting as a principle is fine, a group of mixed classes can do it well together and it makes the game very interesting. I just don't think a certain class should be so good at it that he makes a mockery of every threat on the field to the point he doesn't really need anyone to compensate for his weaknesses.

In general, my opinion is kiting should be a last ditch effort to survive, not your main method of attack.

Spot on, I have exactly the same opinion! :cool:

Upvote 0
It all about personal likes and disslikes.
I play on HoE and sometimes just for fun as medic on hard.
Katana is good but not as good to be substitute for 2nd nad elauncher for me.
If u play demos who do consta smoke screen i cant do anything but pity you than.
Also there are same ammount of weak players on HoE as it was all the time, maybe even more.

Im not taking anymore part in this discusion couse its pointless, i think that ur wrong, u think tham im wrong we could have here 10 more pages of pointless talk.

Upvote 0
Spoiler!

Upvote 0
I don't claim to be pro at kiting, but I'm pretty decent at it. (I start floundering in HoE...) I like playing as zerk because to me, it's the only perk that requires the most concentration for me besides the Sharpshooter.

My true outlook on kiting is that I do it on maps that do not feature defensible places to camp/funnel. Most maps have a place like that, but some like ice caves and abusement park, and mountainside are kite-friendly than camp-friendly. In fact, I was forced to learn how to kite and be a good zerk because I knew certain maps were more suited for kiting. If not, I prefer to camp in a defensible place and use my sharp/support/demo perk if possible.

I do find kiting games a mixture of high/low paced. Until the spawns are correct and they all start following you, I like that frantic pace where you're killing everything you can. Also I like camping as zerks until we're forced to actually start kiting. When it boils down to running around the map with a trail of specimens and no other spawns, then it gets boring real fast as I want to kill specimens, as one of my flaws as a zerk is that I'm overly aggressive at times.

I'll adapt to whatever the team wants or what the team makeup consists of, but in general, I prefer camping.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't say kiting is "easier" as much as it's "more forgiving". If the team is coordinated and knows what they're doing you can easily win, camping or kiting. However, you can also just as easily lose camping and the same can't be said for kiting games.

The only time I lose kiting games is when (1) there's terrible lag and we get completely screwed over (2) someone really doesn't know how to play and runs the opposite way and gets us smothered by zeds (probably the most common way) or (3) we're playing horribly and make tons of mistakes. Run into a siren(s)? No problem, run away and heal up (spam medic command to make this go faster!). Accidentally rage a fleshpound? That's fine, they barely hurt you thanks to your resistances. Get boxed in? Just hold down m1 and run through the weakest area to escape with minimal injuries.

My point is you have to really mess up to lose a kiting game, and it ends up being more of a test of endurance than skill. With camping, one wrong move and it could be game over. So even though winning is as simple as ever, there is always that threat of something potentially going wrong. This is what makes camping (generally) more fun to me.

Upvote 0
(2) someone really doesn't know how to play and runs the opposite way and gets us smothered by zeds (probably the most common way) or

xD I was playing a suicidal match with a friend the other day. We were mucking around a bit, then we got to wave 8 I think, and two other friends joined. Before we could get organised, two fleshpounds spawed, and I ran off to kill one with my medic, and the other zerkers ran for the other.

But somehow, we managed to get disorganised, and ended up kiting around Suburbia in opposite directions. Except we're all pretty good players, and were just mucking around, and none of us would give in. So for the rest of the map, twice a round, we'd crash into each other and run through all the zeds chasing the other group xD

"YOU CHANGE DIRECTION!!"
"NO, WE WERE DOING IT FIRST, YOU CHANGE!"

xD Funniest game I've had for a long time. I think we died in the end because we just all broke down laughing xD

Upvote 0