• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Your opinion on kiting

Your opinion on kiting

• I am a strong, brave warrior, and I need not kite.

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • I personally think both defensive play and kiting are equally valuable.

Votes: 64 71.9%
  • omg kiting iz tha best gaise all u campers r n00bs

Votes: 8 9.0%

• Total voters
I only like kiting when on a solo run.

But I still think it takes skill to perform well.

I also measured the amount of time it took me to solo wyre and it's only 2 minutes above the time it took a full team to get rid of offices in a camptastic maneuver. So those time arguments only matter if you are clutching your team's way out of a shameful wipe.

Upvote 0
Woud you believe I voted "I personally think both defensive play and kiting are equally valuable"?

Kiting is a smart tactic, I've got nothing really against kiting, however I see kiting as an emergency tactic, not as my leading method of attack.

I love the camping game because I love the team spirit of the game. You need your Commandos, Zerkers and Firebugs controlling the mobs, your Sharpshooters and Supports cutting down your mid range specimens, your Demo and general hard hitters taking on the big guys, and your Medic watching the teams backs. Everyone compensates for his partners weaknesses.

Kite teams generally feature 2 perks, who each play pretty much as a solo warrior, with no concern for what the rest of their teammates are doing. The only team element here is that they are running around in a group. Kiting as a principle is fine, a group of mixed classes can do it well together and it makes the game very interesting. I just don't think a certain class should be so good at it that he makes a mockery of every threat on the field to the point he doesn't really need anyone to compensate for his weaknesses.

In general, my opinion is kiting should be a last ditch effort to survive, not your main method of attack.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kiting as a principle is fine, a group of mixed classes can do it well together and it makes the game very interesting. I just don't think a certain class should be so good at it that he makes a mockery of every threat on the field.

I know that style of play, where a typical team of shooty perks get together and just spartacharge around the map. But I consider it different to actual kiting. It's actually very fun, especially on maps where people find themselves running into the zeds, like Icebreaker. I think that needs a different name.

To me, kiting is that random zerk or medic who grabs some melee weapons and gives absolutely no ****s about the rest of the team, and often ends with the game taking like 3 hours to finish what with it being the main method of play.

Upvote 0
To me, kiting is that random zerk or medic who grabs some melee weapons and gives absolutely no ****s about the rest of the team, and often ends with the game taking like 3 hours to finish what with it being the main method of play.

If thats the definition we are working with then...

I'm a strong brave warrior, who would rather die horribly, feeling teeth and nails ripping into my flesh, hearing my bones snap between jaws and watching my ligaments torn apart as specimens fight over my half alive corpse than debase myself to resrorting to this tactic.

If ever I find myself alone at the end of the wave, I ask the team if they would prefer me to go for it, or just die. Personally I see this question to be the primary purpose of buying grenades. :D

Upvote 0
It's a very one-dimensional play, and if three maybe two of the zerkers know what they're doing it's pretty much impossible to lose. I enjoy kiting once in a while but can't really do it more often than that. I personally prefer to play zerker with a mixed team holding an area, such as the roof of hospitalhorrors or outside on manor/farm. It takes half the time and is much more exciting since you don't have that feeling that you're truly more powerful than the zeds.

Well considering I don't really play much anymore (hoping another update will bring me back! :cool:) I'm pretty much always down for kiting.

Upvote 0
Generally I only like it if the whole team is doing it - it keeps up the pressure and can be quite fun. I did it on Suicidal WestLondon with a good team once and that was a blast. We had guys covering the outside (myself included) with a 'zerker in the middle who'd run out and kite FPs into the middle of the group while we'd blast off trash to keep the FP isolated while he axed it a few questions.

It worked out pretty well aside from when we wiped on wave ten (didn't form up into our moving defensive line in time, things got messy).

And it was a mixed game too - we had one zerk, one (or maybe two?) medic(s), a Commando (myself), a support, a sharp, and I forget what the last guy was.

But yeah, that and kiting if you're the last man standing are generally the only kinds of kiting I'm all for. One or two guys running off away from the team is kind of lame - because either they suck and die and everyone else has to compensate for the increased zeds and zedhealth, or they're good you have two outcomes:
A) The team wipes, gets bored watching the 'zerk kite around the map.
B) The team spends the way boredly plinking away at the lessened zeds that come to the group rather than have run off after the zerk to murder him.

Sooo, less than an ideal solution. Camp or kite, the team really ought to be all-in on their strategy.

Upvote 0
Kiting itself is not that bad, but the "I don't kill anything so nothing spawns in front of me" reveals the most bizarre flaws of the game. When I kite, I get the impression that the whole map becomes a ghost-town if I don't count the 30-something pets following me. I find it a bit weird considering how I get swarmed when I turtle.

I don't have anything against the principles of kiting or camping, the annoying thing is that anything between both of these extremes is harder, which seems a bit illogical, but that's subjective.

Upvote 0
skill

skill

You need skill and coordination for both tactics, and if You have those, both methods of winning can be considered lame (come on is knowledge lame?). If You know tricks, if You know how to prioritize targets, if You save ammo, then both camping and kiting are only a matter of time to kill Patrick. Running and controlling crowd and spaws can be tough, but same thing applies to camping - You have to save ammo (this does not grow on trees) and kill hvt asap - once a team gets raged sc/fp rush You can go wipe prettyfast, and we all know, that sometimes 1 error and few seconds are enough to end a well played game.

I dont enjoy kiting, but I won few maps utilizing this tactic (I hate camping Ice Cave - toughest map of all KF maps for me to camp - I only won the long game by kiting it, Hospital Horrors caming is a breeze compared to this).

To sum up:
if You run away as zerk+med team and win You are good/You are lame cause You win :)P)
if You camp and unleash leadstorm on Zeds and win You are good/You are lame cause You win :)P)

A skilled player is capable of playing both styles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only kiting that takes skill that is really efficient at the same time is with Sharpshooter LAR/M14 combo... that's why i give so much respect to SerenityDevide... he's the most skilled player i've seen so far. (Just my opinion)
Whenever i see a zerker kiting i just roll my eyes... no not again... it's super easy but it takes ages.
Medic is even slower than zerker 100 times... Oh one more thing, im not saying these other classes are not efficient while kiting, they are obviously, but i just find them boring.
After all the only kiting i like is with Sharpshooter LAR/M14.. other than that i find really boring... just my opinion.

Upvote 0
Kiting is fun if you have a perk and loadout not suited for it, camping is fun when it's difficult and you barely pull through. Both are absolutely awful if the teams are too good. You can sit and click on a few heads occasionally, or you can spend your time running in circles, occasionally slowing down to kill a few clots.

Some of my funnest games have been holding off hundreds of zeds in a camping spot alone, running nearly completely out of ammo, or unexpectedly kiting as a sharpshooter and absolutely needing to nail those vital headshots. Makes me a little sad when I'm playing a pub and go down with the team, only to see some berserker on the other end of the map with everyone cheering him on. Or when I'm sitting in a group of guys firing down a hallway, talking to friends on steam for 20 minutes and realizing that I still have 90% of my ammo left.

Upvote 0
Both are absolutely awful if the teams are too good. You can sit and click on a few heads occasionally, or you can spend your time running in circles, occasionally slowing down to kill a few clots.

This is exactly what leads to boring Killing Floor matches. It would happen less frequently if achievement whores playing for victory rather than fun didn't kick lower level perks from high difficulty games. How I wish achievements had never even been conceived of... They attract people who play for the wrong reasons. People who would be better served grinding their life away in a Progress Quest MMO.

Upvote 0
Camping and kiting have their place, both are fun to me.

I've never begrudged a lone surviving zerker or medic for kiting. I know I would do the same in his shoes, and it's not like kiting is a magic "win" option, just like camping isn't, even though it looks like it with a good team.
If you can kite and win, that's cool in my book.

I get slightly annoyed when someone doesn't kill the last remaining zombie until he's right in front of the trader. Just kill him already, 100m isn't that far, you'll get there in time, you don't need a full minute to buy stuff anyway, what you're wasting here is OUR time.

But kiting in general I have no problem with. BUT: If you're the last surviver, share the wealth, even if it's pub game!

What I also like is a level where you don't have a good camping spot (yet) so you can't stay in one place or you get overrun, but you can't kite either because there are ZEDs behind you and in front of you and the corridors are fairly narrow, so you shoot your way forward, running from the ZEDs chasing you while clearing a path through the hordes in front of you. Makes for intense games.
I loved Icebreaker for this before we found the engine room or whatever it is.

Upvote 0
It would happen less frequently if achievement whores playing for victory rather than fun didn't kick lower level perks from high difficulty games. How I wish achievements had never even been conceived of... They attract people who play for the wrong reasons. People who would be better served grinding their life away in a Progress Quest MMO.

What I find worse than that are players who have all level 6 perks and all achievements, yet still play to win as if their life depended on it.

Some idiot I used to play with would get so angry whenever the squad wiped out even though everyone there had already beaten these maps multiple times before.

Upvote 0
What I find worse than that are players who have all level 6 perks and all achievements, yet still play to win as if their life depended on it.

Some idiot I used to play with would get so angry whenever the squad wiped out even though everyone there had already beaten these maps multiple times before.

This is why I want to get all maps completed.

That way I can be freeeeee

Upvote 0
Truth is that kiting needs much more skill than camping. Also good kiter is bless for the team, couse he take of from ur butts half of the wave. As a good kiter i mean somebody who can take of every kind of ZED on HoE himself. Also u cant Kite on every map. Kiting is strategy for open maps like WestLondon, Manor, MountainPass, Foundry, Suburbia or Wyre.

Upvote 0
Truth is that kiting needs much more skill than camping.

For Medic? Yes. For Zerker? No.

On HoE it is so easy to miss a key shot or accidently rage a FP, or simply have a siren crop up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Kite Zerkers run continuously and engage whenever they what, unhindered by the clot grab, gorefast/crawler speed, evena really awkward Siren spawn is a momentary nuisance rather than a big problem.

good kiter i mean somebody who can take of every kind of ZED on HoE himself. Also u cant Kite on every map. Kiting is strategy for open maps like WestLondon, Manor, MountainPass, Foundry, Suburbia or Wyre.

Agreed, that is a good kiter, but it isn't really that hard. The only maps you really can't do it on are Biotics Lab and Ice Cave, everything else may be a little more challenging, but usually the camping game is also harder on these maps as well.

Upvote 0