• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Current Map White List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it would be better if they had a system where you could submit ANY map to the whitelist and it instantly got whitelisted (via the website or ingame?).

This way there is no delay.

After that they can check the maps and decide if they should be taken off the whitelist.

This way it is like keeping a blacklist, but a kind of reverse blacklist. Obviously no matter what you do it isn't going to be perfect and there will be some tradeoff. I'm more worried about hose the whitelist negatively effects the map makers if it takes a while to get on the list, there are plenty of people that will simply not try a new map if it isn't whitelisted.

Upvote 0
Maybe it would be better if they had a system where you could submit ANY map to the whitelist and it instantly got whitelisted (via the website or ingame?).

This way there is no delay.

After that they can check the maps and decide if they should be taken off the whitelist.

This way it is like keeping a blacklist, but a kind of reverse blacklist. Obviously no matter what you do it isn't going to be perfect and there will be some tradeoff. I'm more worried about hose the whitelist negatively effects the map makers if it takes a while to get on the list, there are plenty of people that will simply not try a new map if it isn't whitelisted.

I don't think its too bad an idea. The only problem I see with the approach is that user can spam-submit huge amounts of maps that are then by default auto-whitelisted unless explicitly removed (or thats how I understood it). Why not setup a web page for processing and semi-automating map whitelisting?

The process would be that a wouldbe mapper submits his/her map for whitelisting and then it stays "to-be-confirmed" till a dev has time to check it out and then set it to either "denied" or "whitelisted". The updated or newest list can then be included in KF updates.

Note that only one entry per map can be created. Say a mapper has several releases for the same map, only one whitelist request can be created. As the map is updated, the request is updated with the newest version and then the status is again set to "to-be-confirmed".

Upvote 0
If there was a safe way to automate the process, we would be doing that, but given the possibilities of an automated system slipping up, we must stick to the current approval system. We know the delay is not wanted, so we are taking steps to reduce the delay as much as possible. We will be putting out optional server updates to get the newest Map White List in between our official updates.

We will be updating the list on this thread after every update, so keep your eyes out here for latest list of available Map White Lists.

Upvote 0
(I apologize if this is in the wrong place and would be happy to have it either moved, or be asked to do so myself to the appropriate section. thanks.)

I just have to say, you'll all be suprised at how many admins won't take the time to fiddle with a whitelist...because we already pay a monthly server charge, paid for the game, and take our time and efforts to make maps, we already can't use mutators we used in the MOD servers we paid for to run...now this extra step, and a wait-time included. I have one of the top custom map servers in KF.. #27 on Gametracker... and we have one of the most intelligent and savvy KF mappers that's figured out most of TW's tricks and stuff they've put into the editor (thanks guys lots of fun cool stuff) and we're about to drop killing floor because of the facist intrusion of the MOD communities thirst for making the game better and more fun for us all than the original...Basically making it a pain in the arse to mod the game. if you didn't want certain types of mods and maps, then you shouldn't have provided an editor, and should have used a java program to Strip the code .uc files. All you've done is give the MOD community more of a headache by dictating what we'll do with your game, even though it's our money and time we spend.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this..I'm only stating a widely-shared opinion.. I do still love the game, I do still appreciate the work that went into the MOD and then into this retail version..however I'm not happy about the communism surrounding it, and so many other admins share this hatred for facism and greed in such a mannor.

Just the same, thanks to TW and Alex, and Zynthetic and everyone whom worked on this game, it's allowed us to have almost 3 thousand people connect to our server(s) since the game's release. It HAS been alot of fun.
Now that the fun police are out, we'll follow your "rules" and do as you wish as long as people play the game. but only one server now...not 2. we'll be spending our time on other projects, ones that don't require time, money AND approval before doing anything.

Thank you for reading:)

PEACE.

[LT]Derek, formerly Seal{SP} from Seal's Place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seal about your opinion...it is way off...you say that you cant mod or make any custom maps any more...well you can...and they can be added to the whitelist...just make sure you can be killed on that map via specimen...

And for mutators...new gameplay modes are encouraged...along with other creative mutators...but you must get them approved for white listing yes...

Now if you like to cheat...yes go away...as what TWI is very smart...they are putting up what has to be the best fight I have seen in a long time with a new game to stop cheaters...

---Stixsmaster

Upvote 0
I said nothing about cheating, and I said nothing about not having the ability to make mods, just that you cannot without prior approval, while I do not disagree with your reply in any fashion, I just think you missed the point.

My main point is that the Mod community already works hard as it is, we shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get our work approved, when it's our money and time we're spending on their game.

I think the white list is a good thing. but it shouldn't be the creators of the maps and mods that do the extra work, if you want to control your stuff, then you should put forth the effort to control it, and not expect the people already doing work on their mods to do it for you. they should come to us, not us to them. since we're the ones they're making their money off of. etc.

It's a whole principle thing.

Now while I do not intend to talk "bad" if you will about TW or any of it's affiliates, I'm just appalled at the fact that people don't see the wrong here.

IF THIS WHITELIST works...then I'm grateful. but for now all I see is a pain in the A$$ and much of mine and several other people's time and money wasted when there are so many other modifiable games out there that are major cash crops and alot of fun to play yet they do not require any "approval" to change them other than not breaking copyright laws.

I've said my peace, and I do not wish to create any more waves than I already have. Our clan will continue to play KF as we've already invested quite a bit of time and money into the game, and servers and maps etc...and honestly I hope this whitelist does help the leveling padding going on. It's a great Idea, I just think it's been implemented in a seriously backwards way.

Everyone at TW..again thanks for making this MOD an incredibly fun game. WE all appreciate it obviously. and if you allow this post to remain.. I respect you and thank you for that.

this subject is dead...as I've said my peace. I will not reply about it again.

HAPPY GAMING!!!

...Derek...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If there was a safe way to automate the process, we would be doing that, but given the possibilities of an automated system slipping up, we must stick to the current approval system. We know the delay is not wanted, so we are taking steps to reduce the delay as much as possible. We will be putting out optional server updates to get the newest Map White List in between our official updates.

We will be updating the list on this thread after every update, so keep your eyes out here for latest list of available Map White Lists.

I've been posting with some opinions that aren't quite completely positive.. so in reading this.. is there something WE as the Admins in the community that played and modded the "MOD" version can do to help this process along? maybe hosting space for downloading the maps that ARE whitelisted, or even helping with approval to certain guidelines posted by alex.. err I mean Tripwire? seriously...if I CAN help the process along...then it's more beneficial to the community VS a pain in the....etc....

Upvote 0
Derek, as a company that was founded on the development of a Mod, we fully support the modding community. Only a small portion of the game is restricted for Mod developers and tons of Mods can get White Listed. We will always do everything in our power to support our modding community and we are fully ready to discuss anything that can be done to improve our support of our modding community. I have sent you a PM in order to further discuss the situation and help alleviate any issues that have arisen from our White Listing process. Thank you for voicing your opinion, if no one ever did, we'd simply lose our valued customers and mod developers.

Upvote 0
Derek, as a company that was founded on the development of a Mod, we fully support the modding community. Only a small portion of the game is restricted for Mod developers and tons of Mods can get White Listed. We will always do everything in our power to support our modding community and we are fully ready to discuss anything that can be done to improve our support of our modding community. I have sent you a PM in order to further discuss the situation and help alleviate any issues that have arisen from our White Listing process. Thank you for voicing your opinion, if no one ever did, we'd simply lose our valued customers and mod developers.

Your point of your company's development of foundation is a very valid one as I remember. and I seriously and respectfully thank you for your courtesy and understanding. I have received your pm and excitedly replied to it as well. I'm happy to be here and hope I can help out in any way I can! thanks again for your continued support just like We came to expect it in RO!!

CHEERS!!

...Derek...

Upvote 0
Glad to know peeps are still out working on maps. we have over 30+ custom maps available of our own from our mapper that's been doing this forever. he's young , but one of the best mappers I've ever seen. I do have to chirp up and say this...

as much of a pain in the butt the whitelist is. I'd rather have it than not. The whitelist keeps the game challenging, and not an exploit fest. I ran a server and it was nothing but Exploits and mutators etc. (most the exploits were just the fact that the old makers of KF before TW didn't finish the maps so there were holes everywhere lol and ledges and places you could get to if you just jumped a slight bit higher:) )with the zombs set to get to you no matter where you were. they'd even stack up on top of themselves to get you if they had to...so really it wasn't a cheatable server...but the point is...the mod died out. now all we have is the retail version...and it's much more polished and professional than MOD ver. 2.50, but there's trade-offs for such a good game. If you want to run maps and mutators that aren't on the whitelist, you can. perk leveling was never a part of the MOD community..all us mod vets are used to just playing the game:) so I don't mind the Whitelist to keep the perks fair and not exploitable.. IE no padding servers etc. Good job TW!

...Derek...

Upvote 0
I am personally all for the whitelist, but I find it a bit of a PITA when someone submits 20 versions of the same map, and then the final version. And next time I look at the whitelist after the update, half of the early betas are whitelisted but the the final version is not.

I'd personally love to see more finished maps in the whitelist and betas slowly dropped out.

And use "KF-ThisIsMyMap.rom" type name for the final map version, please.
Until then, use names like KF-ThisIsMyMapAlpha#.rom, KF-ThisIsMyMapBeta#.rom and so on to make it easier to maintain the list. I mean, "KF-ThisIsMyMap.rom" is much more pleasing to the eye than "KF-ThisIsMyMapFINAL.rom" and gives a bit more professional impression. :)

But then again, I am not a mapper or modder so who am I to say. It would just make more sense to me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.