• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Any way to get a non-steam version of KF1?

Imonobor

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 1, 2016
Hello there!
I have a rather simple question, is there any place I can buy KF1 EXCEPT from steam. I just hate steam and don't want to embrace lord Gaben's dictatorship every time I want to play some KF. I remember earlier that you could buy a copy directly from Tripwire, but I can't seem to find that now and none of the retail stores in my city have it anymore.
Thanks in advance!

There's unfortunately no way to acquire a non-Steam version of the game. Back in 2012, when the game released Linux support, they made it a Steam exclusive. All non-Steam servers had been shut down at that time, and to my knowledge, this is the state it's currently in.

Out of curiosity, what sort of dictatorship do you speak of? The only real competition for Steam is GOG, and they don't have anything close to the support that Steam does. There's of other games, better sales, a larger community, and solid exclusives. I think it's an amazing platform that really allows for some serious gaming. Yes, the early access and green lighting can be obnoxious, but if you're not a blind consumer, it's easy to avoid the bad stuff. Though far and few between, I feel like most anti-Steam gamers just had a single bad experience. Unfortunately, I've had a slew of issues with Origin and uPlay, so I tend to avoid those. Beyond that, I generally cannot stand anything that Ubisoft and EA publish, as it's usually less than half a game and full of issues.

Upvote 0
Broski270;n2280859 said:
There's no point in trying to avoid Steam for this. You would not be able to play online, you would be missing all the updates, and you would have a very barebones experience with no mod support. If you want to properly play this game, get it on Steam for cheap during any big Steam sale (next one is Holiday sale).

What update? Are you still living in 2009?

Upvote 0