• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Switches to the wrong weapon when you have 3 or more weapons in one block

MrRogersBestNeighbor

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2015
Is probably already known, but is incredibly frustrating (the most annoying bug I've experienced in an FPS)
Happens frequently.
When you have 3 or more of the same weapon in one block, say you have a pulverizer, a katana and a knife. If you're trying to go from the pulverizer to the katana by pressing the melee weapon key, it'll often go to the knife instead. Similarly if you have a magnum, med pistol and 9mm and you're trying to go from your magnum to your med pistol by pressing the secondary weapon key (2), it'll often switch to the 9mm insead.

This has killed me or gotten teammates killed (because I switched to a 9mm instead of a med pistol) so many times. Please address this bug quickly. I don't want to have to bind another two keys for next/previous weapon or unbind my middle mouse so I can use it to switch weapons (as I don't use either of those for any other FPS).

I mean if it did it every time, I could adjust by pressing the key 3 times instead of once, but it happens pretty often (maybe 8+ times in a game?) but not as often as when it actually works. It's like a 1/4 chance of it failing to switch to the correct weapon.

With weapon switching, the current functionality with keyboard and mouse controls is as follows. The number keys (1,2,3,4) switch between weapon blocks and starts at the top of weapon list and cycles down through the weapon block with subsequent presses. The scroll wheel treats the total inventory as one unified list meaning Primary, secondary, melee, and then equipment. Scrolling between blocks will go from the top of one block to bottom of the other and vice versa for the opposite direction. The last weapon key records the last two weapons you used and cycles between them. Is this the behavior you are experiencing or something different?

Upvote 0
Lets say you have a lot of weapons in one block. The key sequence you're using is "Next Weapon (keyboard)" - "Last Weapon". You start with your 1st ever weapon (weapon A) in the category and press "next weapon" that gives you two cached weapons to swith between by using "last weapon used" key - A and A+1.

You switch back to weapon A by using "last weapon used" key and then you press "Next Weapon" on keyboard one more time. This switches you to the weapon A+2 and your new cached array for "last weapon used" key now A, A+2.

You keep returning to your A weapon through "last weapon used" key and pressing "Next Weapon" button which gives you A, A+3... A, A+4... A, A+5 set of weapons to switch between.

Eventually you end up having two of the weapons assigned for your "last weapon used" key - weapon A (1st one) and the last weapon in the list.

Later when you try to switch from weapon A to next weapon by pressing "Next weapon" key (logically it suppose to start new cycle with A, A+1) it returns you back to your A weapon. This does nothing but highlights your hud.

Now imagine that you only have two weapons in block - "Next Weapon" - "Last Weapon used" sequense now always returns you back to your current weapon, you want to switch to next weapon but instead it only highlights your current weapon and whole weapon hud.

Last edited:
Reactions: vexgass
Upvote 0
simplecat;n2284409 said:
lets say you have a lot of weapons in one block. The key sequence you're using is "next weapon (keyboard)" - "last weapon". You start with your 1st ever weapon (weapon a) in the category and press "next weapon" that gives you two cached weapons to swith between by using "last weapon used" key - a and a+1.

You switch back to weapon a by using "last weapon used" key and then you press "next weapon" on keyboard one more time. This switches you to the weapon a+2 and your new cached array for "last weapon used" key now a, a+2.

You keep returning to your a weapon through "last weapon used" key and pressing "next weapon" button which gives you a, a+3... A, a+4... A, a+5 set of weapons to switch between.

Eventually you end up having two of the weapons assigned for your "last weapon used" key - weapon a (1st one) and the last weapon in the list.

Later when you try to switch from weapon a to next weapon by pressing "next weapon" key (logically it suppose to start new cycle with a, a+1) it returns you back to your a weapon. This does nothing but highlights your hud.

Now imagine that you only have two weapons in block - "next weapon" - "last weapon used" sequense now always returns you back to your current weapon, you want to switch to next weapon but instead it only highlights your current weapon and whole weapon hud.

this!!! ^^^^^^

Upvote 0
[TW said:
OfficerDavid;n2284311]With weapon switching, the current functionality with keyboard and mouse controls is as follows. The number keys (1,2,3,4) switch between weapon blocks and starts at the top of weapon list and cycles down through the weapon block with subsequent presses. The scroll wheel treats the total inventory as one unified list meaning Primary, secondary, melee, and then equipment. Scrolling between blocks will go from the top of one block to bottom of the other and vice versa for the opposite direction. The last weapon key records the last two weapons you used and cycles between them. Is this the behavior you are experiencing or something different?

I don't use the mouse functionality to switch weapons at all (because I like having an extra keybind with clicking the middle mouse). The bug is purely with using the keyboard to switch weapons and it's only when you hit 1, 2 and 3 to switch weapons. And it only affects when you're switching weapons within one block.
Simplecat described it perfectly.

But to give an example, say you have in your melee weapon block a katana, a pulverizer and a knife in that order. You are using your katana then hit your 3 key to switch to your pulverizer. Instead of switching to the pulverizer, it'll skip over it and switch to the knife.
In other cases, rather than switch to the knife, it won't switch to the pulverizer, but instead just highlight it.
PLEASE fix this bug, it happens VERY frequently (at least 5 times in a game, probably more). It's incredibly annoying. As I said, it's the most frustrating bug I've experienced in an FPS. I've started to become adjusted to it, but it means I have to hit my 1 key three more times to switch to the weapon I want to use (I have 1 rebound to melee and 3 to primary), which always has me going "Oh ****!" for a second because I'm charging toward a fleshpound and almost accidentally switching to my knife. Most of the time I have to take a step back real quick until I can actually switch to my desired weapon.

It has also screwed me over when I get grabbed by a zed as Gunslinger and I JUST used all the shots in my deagle, so I try switching to my m1911 and it instead goes to my 9mm, so I just end up using a bash to get away instead if I didn't catch it right away and hit 2 three more times.

Berserker and Gunslinger are two of my favorite perks to play, but this makes them really frustrating with this extra obstacle.

If you still don't understand the bug, try switching weapons ONLY using your 1, 2 and 3 keys with three weapons in one block. Play ONLY using those weapons in that block. You will experience this bug very frequently.

Upvote 0