• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Nvidia Flex crashing the game?

I'm now currently running with 376.33 - WHQL version and still have microstutter problem; at least flex crashing is solved most likely by this updated driver but it brings in microstutter which I do NOT want!

This a problem with Tripwire and Nvidia to fix, not us gamers to do the run around and find the fix ourselves - updating drivers *should* fix problems, but sometimes they don't but seeing how this is a relatively new game, I'm sure Tripwire will make sure to collab with nvidia to work on a fix with my microstutter on my laptop.

Upvote 0
Boltte;n2284751 said:
Oooooooooohhh........basically a newer generation of my tower PC specs.....and I'm guessing it was cost efficient too, no? Mine costed a fortune to finally assemble and by the time I assembled it completely, most of the parts were outdated or and outclassed in every single way....... :confused: How much did this cost ya out of curiosity? :p:p

Too much. Had it built by Origin, same people that used to build Alienware long ago before Dell bought them out. But..... probably my last PC purchase so I splurged.

Oh, and running 376.33 currently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
therealzein;n2286774 said:
I also do not have a twitter account...

Has anyone played the game and tried out Nvidia flex again? Since it crashes my game I just don't play...

ALSO is this community support? Because I haven't seen Tripwire get in here and try to help us out.

Well I replayed the game again but on my tower computer and it seems to be functioning correctly even with flex on...I run SLi 770s @ 1080p144...no microstuttering either and on the latest nvidia drivers too! So I guess KF2 is just not supported on laptops then.......which is a shame.....because a GTX980M is essentially a desktop 970, well almost anyways, in terms of overall performance....

Well Tripwire chimes in from time to time...but most likely on the REALLY urgent and important threads......perhaps this is not either urgent NOR important to them, as they don't game on laptops?

Upvote 0
Flex seems to be kinda bugged for me. When I enable it, all runs well and fine for a while (!). After some time, the framerate instantly drops down from over 100 to 50 without any apparent reason. Singleplayer, nothing happening on-screen, suddenly it drops.

I know my GTX 1050 Ti isn't a top-notch card, but this behavior is just odd.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Boltte;n2286942 said:
Well I replayed the game again but on my tower computer and it seems to be functioning correctly even with flex on...I run SLi 770s @ 1080p144...no microstuttering either and on the latest nvidia drivers too! So I guess KF2 is just not supported on laptops then.......which is a shame.....because a GTX980M is essentially a desktop 970, well almost anyways, in terms of overall performance....

Well Tripwire chimes in from time to time...but most likely on the REALLY urgent and important threads......perhaps this is not either urgent NOR important to them, as they don't game on laptops?

I game on a laptop a good deal of time. ;) I've read through this post and I'm kinda confused about what exactly is being asked. Your game is crashing with Flex or it just doesn't run as well with it enabled?

Upvote 0
Kittenmittens;n2287033 said:
I game on a laptop a good deal of time. ;) I've read through this post and I'm kinda confused about what exactly is being asked. Your game is crashing with Flex or it just doesn't run as well with it enabled?

From what i've understood he has a full blown stuttering on his laptop while playing this game even with flex off and probably occasional crashing with flex on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kittenmittens;n2287033 said:

*gasps* - someone from Tripwire!:eek: I and my thread have been acknowledged! :eek:

Ok, when I started the thread - I was running with the older nvidia drivers that *were* approved by my laptop manufacturer(some version that was released in 2014) and had problems with flex. When it was turned on, the game would crash upon hitting a zed. And that's it, no other problems at all - if I just turn it off, I didn't have to worry about crashing at all.

Now that I've essentially updated my video drivers to the latest(a game forced me to do this...not yours specifically but another...as I had some artifacting issue with it and apparently updating the drivers worked for that game so now I can't go back a driver version without that artifacting issue from that other game....unless I uninstall and reinstall old version to play this game and then reinstall back the new version to play that other game which I'm not gonna do......), albeit not even approved yet by the manufacturer of the laptop, the flex crashing issue with my laptop is gone - except I received another issue.....micro-stutter....or according to that youtube video I linked earlier in this thread, full blown stutter as acknowledged by s5yn3t....I didn't know there was a difference, just thought all microstutter was the same....hahaha :p:p

And yes I've tried changing the presets from Ultra down to Low and anything inbetween including interchanging some Ultra settings with Low settings and the best result I could get was have it on Low preset for the minimalist stutter effect - it's still there as I can feel it and still noticeable that it affects gameplay on my laptop...

s5yn3t;n2287034 said:
From what i've understood he has a full blown stuttering on his laptop while playing this game even with flex off and probably occasional crashing with flex on.

Correct - having flex on or off doesn't appear to have any affect on the stutter. The crashing part has been fixed thanks to the latest nvidia drivers. So I guess I can't turn back now to the older drivers, less I hassle myself with installing, uninstalling and re-installing everytime I wanna play this game on my laptop.....

So yes, perhaps you have been able to replicate this(but have ignored it as its not really noticeable, whereby it *may* be noticeable to others?)? Or maybe it's just me or only this specific laptop model that seems to have a problem with your game?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh, thanks for clearing it up for me. Have you checked your temps too, to make sure nothing is getting to hot?
Also try clearing out configs, in case they got corrupted. If you didn't do a clean driver install, that's worth trying. Since this happened after a driver update that you need, it would also be a good idea to contact nvidia's support.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kittenmittens;n2287056 said:
Oh, thanks for clearing it up for me. Have you checked your temps too, to make sure nothing is getting to hot?
Also try clearing out configs, in case they got corrupted. If you didn't do a clean driver install, that's worth trying. Since this happened after a driver update that you need, it would also be a good idea to contact nvidia's support.

Hmmmm, interesting...looks like I was hitting the thermal limits(well at least for the CPU, the GPU doesn't seem to have hit that yet...) well at least according to the graphs I had up whilst having a run with KF2 for a one game from start to finish and still had to endure the stutter....heh... Check out the attachment. Or check out here if you want: (Huh, the forum now seems to have a dodgy way of displaying images...attachment inserts results in the entire image being thumbnail scaled so you won't be able to view the images at fullsize properly even though you have set it to fullsize and displaying pictures from an image hoter results in the forum scaling the image down so that it fits within the forums columns and size...therefore if I were to throw in a 3840x2160 resolution image, it will be scaled down 1280x720....so any fine details I wanted you to have a look at is no longer viable as the image is now compressed and said finer detail is further compressed and thus you cannot see it....) https://postimg.org/image/hnjrwtl53/ >> There we go a link to the image to be viewed at original scale and NOT scaled down or up to fit anything.....

The one on the left is me just starting KF2.....and the one on the right is the results after a game of KF2.... Also as you can see with GPUZ, my 980M isn't even properly utilized......the load jumps up and down and not consistent load, like 100% for example for 100% utilization.

Well anywhos.....I find it rather it a coincident that after a driver update, this happened ....hmmmmmmm........maybe I should roll back to the 2014 one, play some KF2 again to confirm my suspicion and report back....

How do I clear out the configs? Which ones?

Well I just ran the installer without uninstalling the previous version because apparently it just works like for your convenience........so I did an upgrade... But there was an option to do a clean install and I checked that I believe.....does that count?

As for talking to nvidia....alright then...I'll give them a whirl.....but after I roll back to the 2014 ones, test, then update to the latest and see what the results are....

Oh yeah, forgot to add this is the program I used to monitor the temperatures....and I used GPUZ to monitor the GPUZ side as for some reason it's not monitoring my 980M......

Attachments

• qwd.PNG.jpg
    qwd.PNG.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
omano;n2287126 said:
Thermal throttling => reduces CPU frequency, power consumption, and it may also reduces video performance too..

Obviously have a temperature problem on the CPU. Properly clean your computer inside, you surely have lot of compacted dust near the fans.. That may need opening the laptop to do it properly.

Wouldn't that void warranty if I were to open up my laptop just to *clean* it of dust as I still have one year left? If it does, well I can just get them to clean it for me whilst I get a replacement keyboard as the keys are getting mushy(and some of them are stuck unless you press them more with force!) hahaha! Hahahaha

As for the update, I tested it and it seems to be consistent; went down to 353.17(via the manufacturers site of course), played a game of KF2 and same stuttering effect....turned on my notebook cooler and the stuttering effect seems to have lessen a bit, but still present as it's noticeable(about the same results, here they are for your convenience: https://postimg.org/image/da4p7hlnb/ left side is before or during loading of KF2 and the right is right after a long game of KF2.....This time, it looks like both are thermal throttling! GPU at 88 degrees celsius and CPU also around there too!

Will edit this post (unless there's another reply after this in which case I will just post a reply rather than edit this post) when I go down to 344(which is NOT available(I think it was before but they took it off) on the manufacturer's site but I still have the driver disc that came with this machine so I pulled off the installation from there) with DDU as I think the *clean* installation checkbox as shown here: https://postimg.org/image/gf973us67/ doesn't appear to *properly* clean the files as when I did the downdate (that's not a word? What's the proper term for the opposite of an update? :p) as I noticed in Skyrim Special Edition(which was that game I mentioned earlier that I was forced to update the drivers to see if that fixed it which it did), the artifacting is fixed still as it wasn't before.....so that tells me that that checkbox didn't do anything other than resetting nvidia's settings to default and nothing more......

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If there's a sticker that says don't remove or you will void warranty... you will void warranty. If you have access to back panel to be opened (as a normal laptop manufacturer would do so you could upgrade your storage or ram) then by all means open it, just don't rip a warranty sticker.

Upvote 0
If it is still under waranty, and you bought it in a nearby shop, take your phone and tell them your computer is overheating hard, nearly 90-100° and you need to have it cleaned, best solution would be to bring it to them if they can clean it in the same day. Ask them if they can do it for you quickly, or if they can't ask if you're authorized to do it yourself. Beware that you might need to open it, not simply opening the lid for the ram or HDD cover, but split open in two, to access fan and where dust is compacted on the metallic cooler. There is also the reverse (in the opposite direction the air comes through when powered on) high pressure air flow solution, but I do not recommend it: take a vaccum cleaner on one side (where air in normal function comes from), and take a high pressure air compressor (the kind in your garage used to inflate the car tire). Blow the air from a fair distance first and come closer, you might want to block the fan from turning with the air pressure using a thin stick or a match, you don't want to break it because you blowed too much pressured air (also eared that you can create an electrical problem and damage the mother board in some cases, so better avoid having the fan turning when you undust it). Maybe look at some guides on the internet to see how people do, every computer has slight difference that may require doing thiings in other ways, but in general it is same principle. If you're not confident about having the computer open in two halves, just don't do it, find someone used to it, or.......... pay someone to do it.

Better solution would be to bring it back to shop, they clean it in the same day, and that's done.

Upvote 0
Ok update, it would appear DDU is either not working or the artifacting is strangely not back after reverting to 344..........but I guess that's for another thread... :p

Well regardless, I was also stuttering even on these older drivers.........so you might be right that it could be a heat issue....as I tried it on the latest 378.66 for notebooks and that also seems to stutter for KF2 on Ultra....and yes I had the monitoring programs in the background whislt the game was running and yes the same results or about there anyways....so I should probably fix this heat issue asap before it gets out of hand......once that's fixes, hopefully this will also fix my stuttering with KF2 whilst playing on my lappy and then I will be a happy customer!

If not...then I guess .......well we'll get there....I'll think of something...that's right contact nvidia as suggested by that tripwire rep as then it could be a driver problem. But then yous two will have to work with each other or else it won't work! :p

s5yn3t;n2287238 said:
If there's a sticker that says don't remove or you will void warranty... you will void warranty. If you have access to back panel to be opened (as a normal laptop manufacturer would do so you could upgrade your storage or ram) then by all means open it, just don't rip a warranty sticker.

....I don't see anywhere on the back anywhere on the front or the entire laptop unit with a sticker that reads "Don't remove or you will void warranty"....... I am pretty sure you'll want to open it all up to clean *everything*......and the little window you get for upgrading storage and ram on typical laptops, are rather small.......

omano;n2287246 said:
If it is still under waranty, and you bought it in a nearby shop, take your phone and tell them your computer is overheating hard, nearly 90-100° and you need to have it cleaned, best solution would be to bring it to them if they can clean it in the same day. Ask them if they can do it for you quickly, or if they can't ask if you're authorized to do it yourself. Beware that you might need to open it, not simply opening the lid for the ram or HDD cover, but split open in two, to access fan and where dust is compacted on the metallic cooler. There is also the reverse (in the opposite direction the air comes through when powered on) high pressure air flow solution, but I do not recommend it: take a vaccum cleaner on one side (where air in normal function comes from), and take a high pressure air compressor (the kind in your garage used to inflate the car tire). Blow the air from a fair distance first and come closer, you might want to block the fan from turning with the air pressure using a thin stick or a match, you don't want to break it because you blowed too much pressured air (also eared that you can create an electrical problem and damage the mother board in some cases, so better avoid having the fan turning when you undust it). Maybe look at some guides on the internet to see how people do, every computer has slight difference that may require doing thiings in other ways, but in general it is same principle. If you're not confident about having the computer open in two halves, just don't do it, find someone used to it, or.......... pay someone to do it.

Better solution would be to bring it back to shop, they clean it in the same day, and that's done.

Well I bought it online but the same shop I bought it from has a brick and mortar store here that I can get to......

What if they *can't* clean it on the same day I brought it to them? Also while we're at it, wouldn't they need to send the unit back to a support center in my country so that can get the keyboard(well might as well if I'm gonna get my laptop cleaned! Been having problems with the keyboard... :p) replaced in which case they might as well let them do the cleaning as well as replace the keyboard...

I have a vacuum, but I do not have one of those air compressors that pump car tyres....hey what about static electricity from using the vacuum? Does that get generated as air passes through the electronic devices? In which case I would need to get a electric static free vacuum and air compressor.....I have a Makita ub1101(apparently touts I am free from any worries of static electricity generated by this), does that count or do you need an actual air compressor?

Upvote 0