• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF2 force minimizes when starting

legolas141

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2015
Has anyone encountered an issue where when you start the game it minimizes itself and stays minimized even if you click on the icon on the status bar or alt tab to the window?

The game is apparently running, (hovering over the icon shows that it is at the main menu screen) but for some reason it would not maximize properly. No idea what made it finally pop up after several minutes of trying to fix the problem, it just decided it was done being difficult as far as I can tell.

Had this happen yesterday and I thought it was gonna keep me from being able to play, but after fiddling around with it, (restarting steam, relaunching kf2, both several times, along with multiple alt tab attempts to bring the window up) suddenly it worked correctly.

Whenever I clicked on it, the window would maximize for a very brief period, 1-2 seconds, and then minimize back to the desktop. It didnt happen the first time I launched kf2 so I don't know yet if it was a one time glitch or not, just thought I would ask around on the support forums.

There were no error messages, and like I said the game was running, it was just locked into being minimized for some reason.

If anybody else has seen this, is there a fix for it? Or do you simply have to play around with it until it decides to maximize?

I tried to search for similar topics but there must be some problem atm because I keep getting a cannot display page error message so I decided to go ahead and post a thread.

I still havent found a solution to this issue. Sometimes the game starts perfectly and pops up in full screen, other times it pops up and immediately minimizes, and then I have to alt-tab to it several times to get it to stay up.

This also causes issues with the mouse, when I have to alt tab to get the game to come up the mouse will only be able to move over the top left 3/4 of the window. This makes it so I cannot click the buttons on the bottom of the server browser, and it also keeps me from being able to click the individual refill buttons next to my armor and weapons, and instead have to click the main refill all button, which I don't always want to do.

The problem isnt game breaking for me but it is quite annoying. Especially since it happens about 60% of the time. And if I have to minimize the game, or if the game gets minimized by a program like skype, (sometimes happens when I have a call going with my friends) the force minimize problem comes back. This is especially bad when I am in a later wave and suddenly I am back at my desktop and have to spend 30 seconds or so rapidly alt tabbing to get back in.

Any help at all would be appreciated

Upvote 0
When I am running Skype to talk to my friends the game starts up as a small window first (unusual) goes to big but then minimizes immediately and all i see is desktop, everything else is running. Skype is working all the while fine with no interruption.

I tried Restarting my PC the 30 second complete power down method, validating steam cheche but doesn't resolve issue.

However it does work fine no issue as stated above, with Skype just open and nothing else (i.e. no chat or calls) or if Skype isn't active or if internet explorer and other programs are on idle mode (i.e. i am not interacting with them).

Skype is just an example program but I assume similar happens to people using other software. Also I am using windows 10.
This problem does not crop up with other games such as left 4 dead or skyrim which is another processor intensive game.

Upvote 0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwBKkF_izes

That is youtube video that fixed the same problem for me.
What i did was went here:
D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\_CommonRedist

And in here I have 4 folders with DirectX, dontnet, physx and vcredist. I install every one of them again trough setup which you can find in the folders. After that no more minimizing of the game on its own.

Upvote 0