• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Dedicated Server on Windows 10 problems?

Ratoshigan

Apr 27, 2015
So is there some issue with running a dedicated server on Windows 10? On Windows 7, it was easy as pie to setup and run a server. I just upgraded recently and am having a bear of a time getting it to work. I'm stuck basically at launching it the first time to get config files you can edit. It's going into some loop where the last thing it says is "DevOnline: Advertising: Region="

Silly thing, I transferred over my old hard drive with the server I had installed on Win7 and fired it up from there and it launches just fine. I'd really like to do it from scratch on Win10 though since I had another friend who wanted to setup a server on Win10 as well, but is having the same issue.

Last edited:
What if you allow the executable in your firewall before starting it?

Did you compare your old Win 7 working folder with the new Win 10 non working folder? There are some programs that can help you to do that ;) If server are same version, the only difference should be the config folder. Give it a try and see.

Did you start the server with Steam shut down? Give it a try.

I don't own this OS so I can't help more for now, I don't see anything else to look at.

Upvote 0
Does it only have "DevOnline: Advertising: Region="? Here's what mine typically spams:
DevOnline spam.PNG
I'm pretty sure that's normal. In fact, when it's not spamming that, my server doesn't show up in the server browser. I'm looking into how to suppress that logging. I am running Windows 10 and I didn't have to do anything special to get it to work.

Upvote 0
Norton tried to block it when I first started it, but I told it to allow it. Looking at the Norton logs, they show Norton's not blocking it.

I originally had Steam running when I first started it, so I tried not having Steam running and it does the same thing.

@Pharrahnox I see basically the same thing you posted. I just compressed it to the last line where it pauses for a time before doing it again. I don't understand why you think that should be considered normal. It never happened on my old Win7 machine and doesn't happen when I run it on my win10 machine using the same files. I'd really like to get rid of that spam since it's not really adding anything to the server window and really only detracts from it since it makes it hard to find actual important event lines.

In looking closer at the stuff that gets spammed through, it looks like I do actually get the Steam ID for the server in there, it just gets spammed off the screen by all the junk. So I guess I'll continue on with the configuration guide and see if it works completely.

Upvote 0
I never tried running the dedicated server back when I had Windows 7. Maybe it's something that isn't suppressed by default for Windows 10, but is for Windows 7. It's quite likely that the installation will differ in some aspects for Windows 7 and 10, so merely copying the files from the Windows 7 installation might not be the best idea.

I agree that it makes it hard to see the important events, but having that spam isn't itself a problem. Refer to my previous post for the exact line to use to suppress the spam.

So what exactly is the issue you're having? Or is it that you thought that the DevOnline spam was an issue and wanted to get that 'fixed' before continuing?

Upvote 0
Well, I got the server up and running and was able to login to it through the game and webadmin, so it works like it did previously for me. YAY!!

Yeah, I thought the DevOnline spam was an issue because I didn't notice that Steam gave it a proper ID due to it spamming it off the screen.

I'm looking at where you put in the suppress line and I see that there are a ton of other suppressions in there, one being DevOnlineSpam, but not one for DevOnline by itself. When I compared it to my old installation, the old PCServer-KFEngine.ini file already had that line in it, so at some point Tripwire removed it (I'm assuming accidently) from their base server image. Once I added that line and restarted my server, the server log looks like it normally should and no more DevOnline spam.

Now hopefully Tripwire fixed the spam associated with it sending events to the Windows Event Logs that I read about but haven't personally noticed yet. If that's not the case, please let me know and if there was a solution to it. If it's not an issue anymore, thank you all for your help.

Upvote 0