• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Workshop map files duplicated

mooop12

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 25, 2017
Hello everyone,

I found an issue where the maps downloaded using Steam Workshop have their files duplicated, one copy is in "Binaries\Win64\steamapps\workshop\content\232090" directory and the other is in "KFGame\Cache". Disk space is precious to me as I'm using an SSD, so it's kind of annoying that the same 5 GB of maps exists in both places.

This is how it works. The Cache folder is just a copy of these files. Server checks on workshop, do its job in the Binaries folder, then when it's done it copies the files to Cache folder. If you delete maps from Cache folder, but still have them installed in your config file, it will simply check if item needs update, then duplicate the source to the Cache folder.

Upvote 0
I agree that it simply doubles the needed disk space for custom content. On dedicated server where we generally have minimum 100MB connections both ways,, I think it is also the same for the Client, have a look here C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\232090 and compare to here \Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2\KFGame\Cache ;)

It is bad especially nowadays with our precious SSD free space, but there are certainly really good reason why they did that like this. If a dev can enlighten us about the "why", or maybe if this is going to be changed that would be cool. Thanks. (Note that the current server workshop system sometimes fail to detect new item modifications and you only notice that when you try to run the custom content and have a missmatch error.. so yeah I think lot more work can be done for this server workshop function to fix this, and also have control over this custom content FROM WEBADMIN like Marco's mutator http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...-workshop-tool because it is currently a pain in the *** to add items, the config file is rapidly just unclear and you have to manually check all items IDs on Steam to verify which is which when you want to remove one, when you can have a simple interface to manage all this..)

KF2WorkshopTool.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0