• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Server not downloading workshop items

vludax

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2015
I added some workshop items to my server. It seems to recognize the items, but fails to download them:

[0062.85] NetComeGo: Checking item 609307979 for updates.
[0062.85] NetComeGo: Item state is 8.
[0062.85] NetComeGo: Downloading item 609307979.
[0184.26] Warning: Warning, Workshop: Unable to download workshop item 609307979

Any ideas how to fix the download?

Message is clear, Steam Workshop does not send the file. Maybe the item is 'not public' for now? maybe delete the folder /KFGame/Cache/609307979/ and start the server? Maybe you have connection issue with steam network at that time?

Lot of sources for this problem.. but there is no fix as it is not a bug, it is working good but you can not download in my opinion. I had 0 problem with this mod.

edit: I just deleted the folder I talked about, started server, it downloads correctly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is the place where it downloads it before moving it to the KFGame/Cache folder. This way if you delete your cache folder, if the mod was already downloaded and is still up to date, it does not download the files again.

I do not know why you do not have a KFGame/Cache folder in your server folder. Maybe because you have a server on the same computer you use to play, it shares the workshop cache folder in My Games, but in my opinion that would be a really bad move from TWI.. I don't think server on a player computer should use the player files, but his own folder, it is a dedicated server not a listen server.

Try to stop the server, delete the folders APPCACHE DEPOTCACHE and STEAMAPPS you find in Binaries/Win64/ then RENAME your folder "\Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2\" to "KillingFloor2 DO NOT DELETE" (yes, DO NOT DELETE THIS FOLDER :D, just rename it for the test). Then start server, and check the console, wait a few minutes and see if it downloads, also check if a new KillingFloor2 folder is created in My Games, and check the (new) My Games/KillingFloor2/KFGame/Cache/ folder to see if it downloads here (do not start the game, only server).

You can see if anything has changed. Does server download work? does it create (and so surely use) a folder in My Games?

When tests are finished, close server, delete the newly created (if so) \Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2\ folder and rename back the folder "KillingFloor2 DO NOT DELETE" to "KillingFloor2"

I can't help more, as I have 0 experience in managing a server on my own computer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think it the folder in My Games is relevant -- I just didn't have any other Cache folders, and incorrectly assumed it was the same as the client's cache. I doubt having the game on the same machine would make a difference either -- the directories don't interfere.

I've just tried what you suggested. Running the server did nothing in My Games folder (I changed the name from KillingFloor2), and created and downloaded files into Binaries\Win64\steamapps. Nothing changed in KFGame\Cache. Looks like for some reason the server is failing to copy the files from Binaries\Win64\steamapps to KFGame\Cache after downloading them..

Upvote 0