• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Power consumption

Munchiesaurus Rex

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2015
Bulgaria
Hey everyone in this part of the forum.

I have my own server - it's set up and works perfectly. It's on a PC that we don't use - I have 2 flatmates.

So Im runing my server when I wan't to play but I wan't to leave it 24/7 running and I wan't to make it fair for all of us in our appartment and pay more for electricity.

But how much? I don't know how much our PC will consume if it's working 24/7 it uses 300W power box, it's on low consuption and the server is allocated on one of the processor cores.

Can anyone help me out by telling me how much power a nonstop ON PC consumes on average for a month?

How can I minimise the power consumption and still run the server?

This will also help me since I wan't to start a small community arround my server and we'll chip in for the expenses and I don't know how much is it.

:confused: Thanks in advance :D

What I would suggest is getting an electricity monitor like this. Way more accurate way to know power usage than some rough guestimate.

As for ways to reduce power usage, disable any unused ports. Such as additional NIC's and unused USB ports, if your motherboard allows this, this can also be done via Windows power save settings:
Go to the Device Manager > Right click on the hub > Properties > Power management > Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
If possible use the onboard GPU, and if you must use an addon GPU find a weak fanless unit. Make sure powersave it setup to disable monitor after X minutes. And use RDP to control the server so you don't have to power a monitor, keyboard, or mouse for it.

Upvote 0