• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Berserker players ruined the game

Floorer

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 17, 2016
Ok, the issue I'm addressing is that the berserker class is a bit overpowered and the people who play as them are ruining the fun and group play that started to form as you leveled. The berserk class and its op could and did help teamplay but now as they level into 20s they hurt the game.

Most of the fun in this game was teamplay and although it was chaotic at first but as you learn group play got better. Eventually the game turned into a team grouped together, grabbing ammo or grenades off each other when needed, and me as a medic healing everyone around. The berserker would be part of the group slicing everything around which was good cause as a medic I would use him as a tank, letting him keep my area clear so I can stay on top of healing, while at the same time making sure to keep healing him no matter how minor his wounds to keep a strength buff on him.

Now berserker do one of the two things only:
completely abandon the party cause in the 20s there so damage resistance than can almost solo a round as long as they keep moving and jumping or run to a specific cheap area on the map that covers their back and sides and spam follow me on the chat cause as long as they dont get surrounded they can take tons of damage head on and kill the zeds before they die. This is on suicidal by the way...

Both scenarios breaks teamplay and increases individual non berserk players chances at death significantly. And as I hear more and more people say over the chat "wow berserker is so op, im going to level one next" I sigh and tell myself that after I get the platinum trophy, I should move on to a different game.

"Blood...I HUNGER FOR BLOOD! I'LL FEED ON THEIR VERY ESSENCE!"

The zerker has always been a weird perk... And kind of a loner (safe maybe from a good medic to keep him alive). Because since he's short-ranged, a lot of his kills can be "stolen" . Not only that , but rushing through the enemies is also kind of his knack... Either he's very tanky and can soak up a lot of damage for his team , or he can become a living slaughterhouse, so it's only fitting for him to go through the mass to slice everything up.

It might seems annoying, but in my eyes that's what the berzerker is all about... They tweaked the perk a lot, becoming either completely worthless or so good you didn't need any other perk. Right now is just the right balance in my eyes.

Reactions: DoctorBoom
Upvote 0
Give it time.

A well played zerker is still very strong - yes. However, it has been nerfed considerably from its former god-like state.

After the mace and shield go live I'm sure we may see a few more tweaks to the perk.

Now that the final perk is released (survivalist) TWI can get a better sense of synergy for how the characters play off of each other. This should ultimately lead to another round of balancing efforts.

For the time being though, just know that your experiences with zerker teammates are common. They are supposed to be used as the team's "tank", particularly when the big guys show up - unless you have a sharpie just popping their heads off. Lone wolf zerkers are, unfortunately, somewhat common. But even this can benefit the team in later waves if the zerker manages to keep himself alive. Dividing the horde instead of allowing it to concentrate on one spot can be perceived as an odd sort of benefit to the team as a whole. All of this goes out the window though if it's a level 25 who has absolutely no clue what they're doing. :)

Upvote 0
I enjoy beserker. . I tend to stray from the pack in the first couple of waves to make a little dosh. When the big boys show up I come a running and will throw myself in front of fleshpounds to keep the medic alive or anyone they are trying to pin. It is easy to kill whore at level 20 + but I get more enjoyment out of being a team player.

Upvote 0
I am playing as berserker right now and the first thing I do at game start is running away from my teammates so I could kill more zeds and thus level up faster. I don't need healing and it is much easier for myself and (I think) actually for my team as well because they often doesn't even see big zeds.
The zed spawns are super easy to "force" to happen at my side of map and I can take down 2-3 big zeds together alone at lvl 18 - so it's kind of logical to abuse my immortality to kill more and level up faster.

Upvote 0
I am lvl 18 berserker now and can kill even 2-3 large zeds at the same time. So I abuse this fact and run away from my teammates to gain faster exp by killing more. And there are lot of rounds where my team doesn't even see large zeds because I "force" them to spawn at my side. This is selfish, but so it is. I want to get to 25 faster.

Upvote 0
Floorer;n2281955 said:
Ok, the issue I'm addressing is that the berserker class is a bit overpowered and the people who play as them are ruining the fun and group play that started to form as you leveled.

F U for kicking me and others who loves the katana and melee weapons!!!
I have to play solo because of people like you!! Thanks a**hole!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Running as a berserk means you need to be frontline but in that same thought it's also a challenge when maps are so open. Other players that use guns can attack from a distance so maps that have big rooms or open areas make it more of a challenge for the kills. The only way a berserk can get mounds of kills are in tighter areas or running of solo. Also I might add that not all of them are running berserk class, I see many classes running berserk weapons since the class just gives perks while the weapon kills give the exp to that specific class the weapon belongs to.

Upvote 0
I recently played a few matches where the berserk went solo and I was a medic. It was a great strategy! He divided the horde, kept himself alive and gave everyone excess dosh in between waves. I stayed with two sharpshooters and covered flanks and healed. Once the boss came, we all came together and died valiantly. Not sure how to fix the boss wave but man those first 3 waves were cake with that setup. No mics or chats were used.

Upvote 0